Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #1

Hello all. I have a question about the cargo bay doors on my '99 Damon Intruder. Many of the basement doors on my coach have the gas cylinder mount torn out of the door. It also appears that the inside material that the door is made of is rotted. What is the normal way to repair these doors? Or can I buy new doors to replace these old ones? Has anyone experienced this same problem?

1999 Damon Intruder
Darrell & Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Hello all. I have a question about the cargo bay doors on my '99 Damon Intruder. Many of the basement doors on my coach have the gas cylinder mount torn out of the door. It also appears that the inside material that the door is made of is rotted. What is the normal way to repair these doors? Or can I buy new doors to replace these old ones? Has anyone experienced this same problem?

1999 Damon Intruder
Darrell & Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Try a search in Ebay Motors using "rv compartment door", there's a bunch of them for sale of various sizes and configurations.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Often the door is a made of an inner and outer shell with a sandwich of filler in between. You may be able to pry the two skins apart and replace the inner material, or at least reinforce the area where the struts attach.

As an alternative, consider mounting a flat metal plate several square inches in size over the inside where the struts have pulled out. Glue and screw the plates on, then mount the struts to the metal plate. The plate spreads the load over a wider area. This technique works if the old strut mount screws have pulled out but the rest of the inner filler is fairly sound.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #5

On my 97 the inner core of the cargo doors is styrofoam. I don't think it rots but, it may delaminate. If that's the case you may be able to inject some glue and make up a clamping rig to hold it together until the glue sets.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with RV Roamer. You need a larger stronger surface to screw the brackets into. On my past moho, which was also a Damon, I noticed the same thing with the way they mounted the brackets to the inside of the doors. They were just screwed into the fiberglass door material. There was no backing of any kind. You'd think they'd at least inserted a hardwood block or something. If you get the right type of glue and screw combination you will have a lasting fix.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #7

I have been through the same issue. My solution was to mount wood where the gas cylinders mount to the door. To fix the cause I caulked the doors thoroughly. That included the outside joints and the tops and sides. Drilling holes in the bottom is a good idea because it allows water to escape. I have had no further problems for several years. The design is poor and all metal doors is the way to go.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote