Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carpet Cleaning

I recently cleaned the beige carpet in our Bounder and was pleased with the result for about a week. I used a Bissel Big Green Machine and Bissel Allergen Control shampoo. Personally I think most of the carpet shampoos leave a residue that attracts dirt.

As we were packing up to move to a new site I noticed some spots under the dining table and used Windex to remove them as I have in the past. The Windex cleans carpet so well that now I have clean spots that really show how dirty the recently cleaned carpet is.

This made me wonder if I might be able to clean all of my carpet with Windex. I did a little checking online and found many links to just that, but they recommend mixing it 50/50 with vinegar and using a plain water rinse afterwards.

Has anybody in this vast collection of RVers tried this? Did it work out OK? And did it leave a residue that attracted dirt? Did your RV smell like a salad for months?

As my IRV2 name implies, we have critters and the critters will do anything to get wet & muddy. We carry about a dozen 'dog towels' but it really is a losing battle. We really should install mud colored carpet.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We solved the problem by taking all of the carpet out and replacing it with laminate flooring. So much easier to keep clean and looking good with two dogs and a cat.
The two dogs and cat have now passed away and we have two newer cats.

We stopped full timing after eleven years and started snow birding this summer.
I really wish we had removed all of the carpet in the house and installed some type of flooring before we moved our stuff in but the timing didn't work out.
We are going to do it though.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

I cleaned mine last week with a small Rug Doctor and it looked great for a few days. Then it seems to start showing dirt like you said. Got an estimate from a ServPro carpet cleaner this morning 80.00 + to clean about 40 or so sq ft. Will wait another week, and try to be careful with dirt on shoes., etc..
Am going to try the windex/vinegar and see what happen. Do you spray it on and scrub with a brush or use in machine...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Ive had similar issues with the carpets in our home. The cleaners explained it as wicking. If all the dirt is not removed from the carpet, there will be wicking stains. The key is to make sure the carpet is as clean as possible. A high quality vacuum is a must. I use consumer reports to determine what vacuum I buy and it does work. For the home we use a Hoover upright. This has the dirt sensor. It will determine the amount of dirt in the air being sucked up into the vacuum and not in the carpet so a good suction is critical. Using that vacuum, no more wicking issues. In the motorhome we use a Kenmore canister vacuum. This thing is awesome in the motorhome. I used my hoover in there just to make sure it is picking up everything and the dirt sensor always shows clean. We cleaned the carpet in there after one of the dogs got sick on a trip. Carpet is as good as new. I plan on a end of season cleaning with carpet protection for next years wear and tear.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are right most carpet shampoo will leave a residue.

Its the SOAP that is leaving a residue. Take a small saucer, poor some of the detergent in it. Set it on you refig and lrt it evaporate. When it appears dry, touch it, feel it. Is itsticjy? That is what is left on you carpet. A dirt magnet. Try this if you are using a so called steam cleaning machine. Purchase a box of TSP at local hardware store. Use 4 to 8 ounces per gallon of water. Now clean carpet. Next.. rinse carpet wih water addin 8 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide (mouthwash type, Not bleaching agent). Last go over the carpet with vacuum part of steam cleaner again & again. Now, after carpet is dry, Vacuum it again &again, over & over. People who sell lease this equip want you to buy moe of their shampoo. Plain old TSP was the standard detergent we used in our equipment. It may be labeled as something else, but TSP works. You will not see a lot of soapy foam if any. Hardware store may tell you it is for washing walls(does that well). Dont use vinagar as it just makes house stink like vinigar. The Peroxide is a mild bleaching agent that assists in removing stains and gives carpet a nice feel. Do NOT Apply any fabric softnet like downy as the carpet will really attract dirt. Safe travels...Ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For about $100, Stanley Steamer did all the carpet, dinette cushions couch, and one chair. Included Scotchguard on everything except carpet.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
When a spill or stain permeates the backing of the carpet- which is quite easy, you can clean, hire someone, till the cows come home and it will never stop the wicking process. Its doomed- and no professional can make it as new.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Partner cleaned our 31 year old carpet that is in good shape other than a little dirty by entrance. I told him not to use to much soap.
Owell as usual he didn't listen to me. So last weekend I went over it again with just warm water and he was surprised how much soap came out. Yes a good vac is a must. The MH has a central vac (that don't work very good) so we have the Hover that works great. Anyway the carpet is back to looking good.
Sorry to all that don't like carpet but we don't like wood or vinyl, sounds like a auditorium. Plus it helps when it gets cold like this coming weekend freezing temps.
It's getting time to head south.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Haven't tried the Windex method,. It's probably the alchohol in it that's cutting the stain. I do have a homemade weak-solution of hydrogen peroxide & water (need to look up the recipe for amts) in a spray bottle I've used on my coach carpet w/great success. The peroxide seems to cut through the dirt stains without bleaching out the carpet & I rinse well after spraying.

I previously tried many of the commercial carpet cleaner sprays & they just made the carpet "crispy" & the dirt seemed to return faster. Threw them all away.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I recently cleaned the beige carpet in our Bounder and was pleased with the result for about a week. I used a Bissel Big Green Machine and Bissel Allergen Control shampoo. Personally I think most of the carpet shampoos leave a residue that attracts dirt.
So . . . you have a Bissel Big Green Machine; the very best carpet cleaner out there!! But I would take issue with you regarding residue. Giving Bissell benefit of the doubt as to the significance of any remaining residue; and without any independent evidence to the contrary, I choose to be optimistic, and give Bissell benefit of the doubt, and hope that their cleaning formulae are crafted to the benefit of their customers. With overseers like Consumer Reports doing extensive testing on all aspects of these units, Bissell must formulate their shampoos to avoid negative scrutiny and adverse press.

Water extraction units REALLY suck!! And doing more than a single extraction pass leaves the carpet merely damp. Most of the water etal ends up in the dump tank.

Quote:
As we were packing up to move to a new site I noticed some spots under the dining table and used Windex to remove them as I have in the past. The Windex cleans carpet so well that now I have clean spots that really show how dirty the recently cleaned carpet is.

This made me wonder if I might be able to clean all of my carpet with Windex. I did a little checking online and found many links to just that, but they recommend mixing it 50/50 with vinegar and using a plain water rinse afterwards.
A lot of Bissell Big Green Machine users follow up with a plain water rinse to eliminate the residue.

As for vinegar, I use it extensively for a lot of cleaning projects; and it works well on carpet. But for difficult stains, we use Zep Commercial High Traffic Carpet Cleaner, which is the best we have encountered for difficult tasks. And it's only $4 a quart. We buy it cheaper by the gallon.

Zep Commercial | High Traffic Carpet Cleaner- 946 ml | Home Depot Canada

When you suggest that Windex or Vinegar are all you need to clean a carpet, you have obviously forgotten about all the sand an crap that accumluate in the waste tank when using a Bissell!

Vinegar caution: Don't use vinegar in an extraction unit! Depending upon the unit, vinegar will cause inappropriate O rings to swell and render the unit inoperable and leaky!! That happened with my previous crappy Hoover. Will the same thing happen with a Bissel Big Green Machine? Dunno. It's a $500 bet I'm not going to take.

Quote:
I As my IRV2 name implies, we have critters and the critters will do anything to get wet & muddy. We carry about a dozen 'dog towels' but it really is a losing battle. We really should install mud colored carpet.
We often do camping trips with muddy paws, except the 60 lb family doodle is forbidden to attend. Four grandkids on a rainy muddy weekend are so overwhelming that we just give up; and after the weekend is over, we first employ snow shovels to get rid of the major mud; and then we get out Big Green to extract the remainder. We don't even have to use shampoo, other than a nominal amount to merely break the surface tension of the water.

With annual water extraction cleaning from top to bottom, after 15 years of fun, the interior of our 15 year old rig still looks pretty much like new, but also smells like new.

Bottom line: Cleaning surface dirt with Windex etal, is hardly the objective. The objective is to suck up all of the moldy old dirt; the stuff that makes the rig really stink!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I previously tried many of the commercial carpet cleaner sprays & they just made the carpet "crispy" & the dirt seemed to return faster. Threw them all away. Lori-
If you merely leave the crud rearranged on the carpet without removing it, then you haven't accomplished anything significant. I never use spot cleaner without using a vacuum cleaner to vigorously extract any residual moisture, cleaner and dirt from the carpet.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry but you are wrong on Bissell. There so called carpet shampoo leaves a residue. using the old adage "if it is good, MORE is better"[QUOTE]. Many people will use more of the shampoo product. the more you use the more you purchase the more profit for the company. Most detergents leave residue. Having been in the carpet cleaning business I can speak with certainty.. Don't take my word for it, test it for yourself. Pour some of the product you want to test into a small bowl or saucer. Place the test specimen in place where it can evaporate. After a few hours or a day the liquid should be evaporated. what is left in the saucer is what is left on your carpet. Feel it, is it sticky? that is what is left on your carpet. Best carpet cleaner is the cleaner you have had success with. I've seen people with a scrub brush, a product called "Spic & spam" do a good job. By they way that product is basically TSP available at most hardware stores. it is powder and doesn't leave a residue. regular vacuuming, spot cleaning where accident happen and cleaning when you think the appearance has been compromised is the beat care. Be sure to vacuum after carpet dries after cleaning, it helps. Safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Don't take my word for it, test it for yourself. Pour some of the product you want to test into a small bowl or saucer. Place the test specimen in place where it can evaporate. After a few hours or a day the liquid should be evaporated. what is left in the saucer is what is left on your carpet. Feel it, is it sticky? that is what is left on your carpet.
That is hardly a useful analogy.

A better analogy would be to pour some liquid into a small bowl; suck it ALL up with a water extraction unit/vacuum cleaner, and then observe what is left: ZERO!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cleaning solution

I'm going to give it a try next time I clean the carpet. Windex & water in a spray bottle so I don't mess up the liquid pump. I've already replaced the pump motor once because of a blown o-ring and don't want to do that again for a while.

Slippery floors are a problem for Muddypaws Senior. So hardwood, composite, or tile floors are not for us.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote