Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #1

has anyone replaced there carpet with ceramic tile? Not paid someone to do it, but done it as DIY project. I got an estimate while a Newmar factory and almost had a stroke. Tile work is not the issue with me, it is the ramp for slideouts. So if you have done this project before any help would be great. Thank you!

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #2

has anyone replaced there carpet with ceramic tile? Not paid someone to do it, but done it as DIY project. I got an estimate while a Newmar factory and almost had a stroke. Tile work is not the issue with me, it is the ramp for slideouts. So if you have done this project before any help would be great. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #3

Gary, before you even attempt this project calculate how many tiles yoy will need and multiply by the weight of one. You may be surprised what the total will be. Do you really want to haul this much more weight around? I had a coach with ceramic and I was always concerned that with twisting, turning, etc. that eventually we would experience cracking and decided that future coaches would be void of ceramic.

Another option is vinyl which today they have many patterns/styles that look like ceramic; but, do not have the weight issue, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

Ken, thanks I do not have a weight issue, the entry in this coach and kitchen are tiled, I just want to tile the part in bewteen and remove the carpet.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #5

Hi Gary,

We did remove carpet from the bathroom (bad idea up front) and replaced with ceramic tile on our 1992 Kountry Star. After getting down to the stranded board flooring, we got 1/4 inch tile backer board at Lowes and screwed it to the flooring with decking screws. It was laid in the opposite direction of the underfloor.

We were afraid to use grout and used flexible caulk instead. This was a sanded silicone grout/caulk (also Lowes). However, in hindsight we probably could have used a silicone additive to improve the flexibility of regular grout and it probably would have worked well too.

Because this raised the level of the bathroom floor slightly against both the bedroom (carpet) and the kitchen (wood parquet flooring), Don made some 2" wide threshholds out of oak and screwed them in the doorways to make a nice transition.

It was a wonderful change for us. You can see pictures on our website if you go to Old Motor Home. Like someone else mentioned, weight is always an issue when you add tile, so be aware of your ccc and what the tile plus grout plus added backer board. weight will be.

Good luck in your project.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

Instead of ceramic tile, consider using Congoleum tile. We put it in our kitchen at home.

It's lighter than ceramic tile and looks just like ceramic tile. You can even use grout, which we did.

It's a little flexible, which ceramic is not. This is a good thing for a motor home when it flexes. It's also more comfortable to stand on.

This is NOT linoleum. It looks great!

http://www.congoleum.com/res-product...ne=Duraceramic
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

I would also like to pull the carpet between the kitchen and entry way tile. It looks to me that it would be easiest to remove the existing tile, than trying to match new tile between the two sections of old tile. Plus I would prefer larger marble type tile squares.

When my DSDP is fully loaded with us in it there is still 4,500 lbs. of CCC left, so I am not concerned about the extra weight.

Have you checked with some of the local tile installers?
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input. Weight is of no concern. I have checked with local installers, none of them want to touch the project.
In fact my only concern is about the change in the ramps for slide out, the new rollers I have.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #9

I've only had my Ventana for a few months, and I have 8 ceramic tiles with cracks. I think the stress of the slides might be causing it.

As nice as it looks, I wouldn't choose ceramic tile.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #10

RoadRunner
Do not worry, we had cracks our first few months but after that gets fixed you will be good to go, odds are you will never get another crack.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
About half the floor in our '03 coach is ceramic tile. Winnebago give us about 6 extra tiles, but in 5 years and over 40,000 miles we've never had any problem with cracking.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRigRVing:
RoadRunner
Do not worry, we had cracks our first few months but after that gets fixed you will be good to go, odds are you will never get another crack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good to know. I have spare tiles, but they need to replace about 10 tiles to fix the 8 that are cracked. They had to order more.

I would still suggest looking at grouted Congoleum. It looks just like ceramic tile (although not polished ceramic), it won't crack, it weighs less and is more comfortable to walk on.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #13

We had this done last year by a couple of Tiffin workers who did this on the side. All areas (not raised) are now tile including the bedroom.

We had 5400 CCC before we did this and have not weighed since but plan to this fall during our trip to Gaffney.

Anyway, I know you asked about DIY work only and though we did not do the work, I do remember they replaced glides on our front slide with rollers.

Thought you might like to see some pics.. which I posted last year on RV.NET -- you can see them in this link

Before _ After pics

In addition to the tile they replaced the carpet on our entrance step risers with corian. The entire job was $4500 - 1389 was for the tile which we bought @ the factory at discount. I bet they would be happy to give you any installation tips - etc if you wanted to ask questions. They have worked on other manuf coaches. They had just completed a major renovation on a Monaco Windsor before they did our Bus.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #14

Oh yea -- another thing I remembered...they used Epoxy grout. Apparently this is more flexible. We have never had any cracks in our tile -- the original or the new ones.

The best modification we have done yet --- well maybe second to replaced our day/night shades with MCD Duo shades on all house windows. Love these.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote