Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carrier Air V problem

I have 2 Carrier Air V roof A/C units. When I start the front one up it runs for about 5-10 minutes then cuts off. I then turn it off and hit the back one and it does the same thing. Once the rear shuts off I can restart the front unit again for the same amount of time. I'm getting tired running back and forth. The outside temp is about 85 and I am hooked up to 220 V, 50 amp service. Any ideas, I am full timing it and today is the first time I had this issue. Thanks Kenyonman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just one: And this is a common one

With the rig UNPLUGED and the generator (if any) off

Open the 120 volt breaker box up and TIGHTEN EVERY SCREW, Black, white and green, tighten them all.

Can not promise anythign but I have found many RVers have a few screws loose, often in this compartment. A #2 Square or roberson bit may help.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Question; have you checked to see if you are recirculating discharged air back into the return air above the ceiling package? If you have developed a leak the thermistor may be causing this quick shut down. Have you tried running the fan on a constant run rather than an auto mode. Try it and see if the fan continues to run when the compressor cycles off. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think Mike likely has the right answer. The air system is about the only thing the two a/c's have in common that could cause a shut down of either one under the same circumstances.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both units have independent air returns. Yesterday after posting, the back unit started running fine. front unit was down completely. Today I shut down the shore power and verified the 120v pannel had no loose screws. All was good. I pulled the cover off the front unit and checked the little glass fuse 240v 3amp. It was bad, so I replaced it and cleaned all filters. Restored power and all is fine now. Both units have been going strong for 30 mins. Since I only need the one at a time I am shutting down the rear unit for a rest... by the way, I always run in fan "constant on" mode it seems to keep the rig more evenly comfortable. Thanks for the suggestions and info. Kenyonman
Old 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey... Looks like I was dang close.. Right Church (Electrical supply panel) Wrong pew. Thanks for letting us know.

Where was this glass fuse located so I can add it to memory, Just in cuss I need to know (I have Carrier V's)

Oh, if yours uses the stupid infra red remote instead of a wall stat.. You may find in FURNACE mode a fan blowing on the controlling A/C's sensor (That little yellowish nipple in the panel) helps tame the beast.. Or run the other (non-controlling) Unit on FAN mode, either method works well.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wa8yxm, Thanks for the advice I do have the "stupid infra red remotes" I will try it this winter. The fuze was in a circuit pannel in the unit. I took off the inside celing vent cover, and there was a small (3" X 6") metal cover. I took that off and the fuze is in there. It looks like an old auto fuze but only about 1/2 inch long.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks.. Nice to find out where they hide 'em.