Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does any one have one?
Does any one like theirs?
My Damon is only a few months old. I've had to 2 different RV dealerships work on my front AC. They obviously, but won't tell you , they know nothing about fixing this AC. So today I took it to an Authorized Carrier Svc Center, in the Carrier warranty brochure. They said 95% of their business is refrigerated trailers for food svc. When I called them , the first thing he asked was , "is it one of those remote controlled units ?" He told me to bring it in but if it's the circuit board like he thinks, he has another cuctomer who's been waiting over a month for the part. These warraties are just about useless. I wanna just go to Camping World and have them put a Coleman or Duo Therm in it........... But then I won't be able to turn the dang furnace on. What a huge mistake this idea was.
My rear AC works ok (so far)but it can't come close to cooling the front of the coach.
Any one have any ideas?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does any one have one?
Does any one like theirs?
My Damon is only a few months old. I've had to 2 different RV dealerships work on my front AC. They obviously, but won't tell you , they know nothing about fixing this AC. So today I took it to an Authorized Carrier Svc Center, in the Carrier warranty brochure. They said 95% of their business is refrigerated trailers for food svc. When I called them , the first thing he asked was , "is it one of those remote controlled units ?" He told me to bring it in but if it's the circuit board like he thinks, he has another cuctomer who's been waiting over a month for the part. These warraties are just about useless. I wanna just go to Camping World and have them put a Coleman or Duo Therm in it........... But then I won't be able to turn the dang furnace on. What a huge mistake this idea was.
My rear AC works ok (so far)but it can't come close to cooling the front of the coach.
Any one have any ideas?

Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would contact Carrier and verify that the problem with the control board issue taking a month the aquire is due to a middle man and not them. If so them ask them where to take the coach in for service that will not take a month to get parts. By the way Dometice now also has remote controlled units. What kind of problem are you having? Good luck and keep us posted as to the out come.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Wizard, I don't know if you are familiar with this unit but I hope you are. When it was brand new (2nd trip) , the green light started blinking and AC shut down. The owners manual says in the trouble shooting section that if the light blinks it indicates a compressor or another malfunction and "see your Carrier Svc center. I took it to Windish Rv , where I bought it and when I picked it up I asked what they had to do to fix it. The tech that worked on it said he just disconnected all power, AC and DC to it for a few minutes and plugged it back in and said "it seems to be working fine now" (no idea what they charged Damon or Carrier for this). So it did the blinking thing several more times but now I knew how to reset it . Took it to K&C RV for the AC and other things and as far as fixing the AC (which was working at the time) They unbelievably wrote on the work order for me to "change the remote batteries" . I picked it up after 5 so of course so it was either take it or leave it. I figured they did'nt want to or did'nt know how to fix it.
It worked for a while, but then the AC or even the fan would'nt come on at all, but the green light was on and not blinking. This AC also controls my furnace but it would still work.
Are RV dealerships " authorized to do warranty work even if they are not listed in the appliance book ? There's only 2 places listed in CO for Carrier and neither is an RV place. I hope they fix it cause I took it in after 6 last nite. I called tis morning to see if they found the keys and he said the tech was looking at it then but still trying to figure how to start the generator. Refrigerated , Carrier, Tractor trailers are their specialty but they are the only "Authorized svc. center" listed in the Denver area. They never called to tell it's fixed or not. I hate to bug them so maybe I'll call tomorrow if they don't call me.
Don't you think connecting the furnace thru the AC and you can "only " operate it with the remote control is a bad idea? If the furnace gives me trouble, how will I know if it's the furnace or the AC ?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
max49, I am only slightly familiar with the Carrier Roof A/c's as they have only been out a few years. Most all manufacturers (Dometic, and Coleman) are doing the same thing with the t'stat operating the furnace and a/c's off one. Which furnace do you have? Are you comfortable working with 12 volt dc and 120 volt ac circuits? As long as the remote is operating properly you should have no problem with operating the furnace. The wiring just passes through the air cond. to the furnace. The thermostat will control the temperature setting. If you have a furnace not operating and you are able to folllow a schematic there should be on on the furnace. The two thermostat wires if connected together should energize the furnace for operation. This will help you diagnose as to the problem being with the furnace or thermostat/air cond. side.
Do you have a Surge Guard on the service of the rig? I would recommend you do. If you voltage is low it will shut down power as well as check for proper wiring at shore power and give you some surge protection for all the electronics on these things today. Good luck and keep us posted as to the repairs on the Carrier.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #6

I also have a Damon with the remote controlled air conditioners. My back unit works great and my front one works but sometimes acts like it has a mind of its own.
I used to mess with the on off timer but gave that up as I am not sure how it works.
Now, if I turn the unit on and a few minutes pass and it has not started, I will turn it off and back on again. This has been working for me.

The one thing I now do different than when I first bought the unit is to turn it on, I stand right under the unit. This seems to make the unit respond better. Maybe I need to change my batteries.

I assume your unit has the holder for the remote in the bed room right as you enter. This location is close to the air unit.

The front remote is mounted mid way the home and about 12" from the unit. I know this sounds strange, but I have notice a lot better response by walking up and under the front unit. Who knows, worth trying.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks RV wizard and EZ livin,
The furnace is an Atwood 31000btu but I have'nt had any trouble with it yet. I just don't like having to go thru the AC to work the furnace, just another potetial problem. There is no thermostat to speak of except you have to set the temp. thru the AC remote.
When my AC is working, it comes on instantly if the remote last operated the AC and I left the fan speed on high like I always do. I never use the timer and I don't use "auto" fan speed any more either. When the green light blinks, indicating a malfunction it was always on auto fan speed.
My bedroom AC has been problem free too but it can't cool the front with the bigger hotter area, The front AC , when working does a pretty good job of cooling the bedroom. The foil insulation in the windows probably helps.
Having complained about my Carrier AC (which I still don't like) . I picked it up today and was very embarassed. They said they checked out the amp draw , it was good and it got cold. He also told me that Carrier has had a lot problems with that unit but I'd just have to see if it messes up again.
I told him that it was'nt even working when I brought it in. He said it had tripped the breaker. I really felt stupid. CT Power was really nice, let me bring it right in and worked on it right away. When I asked him what I owed him, he said "I did'nt even write up a ticket on it, I'll get you next time".
That's unheard of at RV dealers in CO.
K&C RV charged me $136 even tho it's under Warranty cause I told them I sometimes get a false alarm that my jacks were down when I drive down the road. They said they had to pay the mechanic to try to make it do it , even tho he could'nt get the "jacks down alarm" to go off. It beeped at me as I backed in the driveway when I brought it home. I think they try to gouge the customer and who ever pays them for warranty work too.