Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Carrying a heavy barbeque smoker

I use a "Green Egg" smoker at my stick home and love the results. This thing is just too heavy and large to take with us when we travel, but I miss it like a good fitting pair of shoes when we travel. We have a 43 ft. DP, and the basement storage is not tall enough. Our toad is too small to store anything that large. Here are the options I am considering:
-larger toad to haul this 400 lb monster. But this presents another set of problems.
-smaller Green Egg that will fit in the basement. This is probably the least costly alternative.
-trailer the toad and smoker. A trailer does not fit our style of camping and travel however. Too many state and federal parks with no good place to store the trailer.
-receiver hitch mount and lifting system. We currently use a double receiver drop hitch and this could utilize the top receiver, but would have to clear the toad. Green Egg sells such a mount for over $1,000, but I am sure it would require modifications to clear the toad and tow bar.

Hope I posted this question in the right section. Has anyone else dealt with such a challenge? I have some limited fabrication capability, welding, etc. but need a starting point.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I never really considered a Green Egg for the RV, because of the size and weight. I currently carry around a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), because it breaks down into components that will fit, and they're light. This summer I'm getting a Traeger Junior, and will probably switch to that, as it should replace both the WSM and the Q220.

I would consider some of the alternatives, and if you're really committed to the ceramic smoker, get the little model that will fit in the basement. Anything else will be really expensive and I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to move a larger Egg on a regular basis. They're just too heavy.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Find the nearest good BBQ restaurant and take the family out to eat ....
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Find the nearest good BBQ restaurant and take the family out to eat ....
It's just not the same.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

I too have a green egg and love it and feel the same way. Also I don't know how well the egg would stand up to the bumps and such on the road it's ceramic and I would think chips easily. I also have a pellet smoker that isn't quite the same but does a nice job and they make smaller versions of. The small egg just doesn't have a very large cooking surface, I like to put all my veggies, meat ect on the one at home and they just wouldn't fit on the smaller egg. I am considering the smaller pellet. If you go that route let me know how it works.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerjeremy View Post
I too have a green egg and love it and feel the same way. Also I don't know how well the egg would stand up to the bumps and such on the road it's ceramic and I would think chips easily. I also have a pellet smoker that isn't quite the same but does a nice job and they make smaller versions of. The small egg just doesn't have a very large cooking surface, I like to put all my veggies, meat ect on the one at home and they just wouldn't fit on the smaller egg. I am considering the smaller pellet. If you go that route let me know how it works.
Met another Newmar owners last month that has the Traeger Junior on one of his basement pull-out trays. Cooks right there on the tray. I don't think I'd do that for overnight smokes, because I'd want to close and lock the basement compartment. But I'd do it for short smokes or grilling.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the Weber Smokey Mountain. It collapses down, is fairly light and does an excellent job of smoking.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's just not the same.

I know .... sigh ...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments. I agree that a ceramic smoker is probably too fragile to do much traveling with. Think I'll look at the Smokey Mountain. I had one a long time back and it would fit in the basement.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Smoking on the move

I've smoked meats for years using everything from giant wheeled smokers to Webers. My latest, and perhaps easiest smoker is one I bought specifically for portability, corrosion resistance, and ease of use. I bought a Traeger pellet smoker at Costco for about $300 and it use it sans legs on picnic tables. It does a great job and is easy cleanup nd breakdown. I also use it just for grilling.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I just ordered a Traeger Junior. Looking forward to smoking with it.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Green egg

A friend of mine has traveled all over the country with his small green egg in the front bay of his fifth wheel with the egg encased in a plywood stand without any problems. I have also have had it in my American eagle, mounted on one of the sliding trays where it can be used there or easily moved to another table.
When I start traveling more I will have a medium egg mounted the same way. I have had a number of grills and smokers over the years but for my needs the green egg is the best.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I haul a Traeger Jr. I took the legs off and made a fold up stand out of light angle iron. Fits in a bay with room for pellets. A warning about the Traeger Jr. When you shut it off make sure the fire goes completely out. They have been known to smolder and burn back into the feed auger.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #14

I, too, have lamented the fact that I cannot realistically carry a Big Green Egg around the country. It is, by far, the nicest charcoal-based BBQ I have ever owned. The "large" size I have at the house is quite heavy. I suppose I would have to be very dedicated to set up something permanent for carrying an Egg. I don't know that I have enough motivation to do it.

Arghhhh!

Roy

HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote