Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many, if not most, new coaches don't even come with a spare tire, I'm told. I'm carrying a mounted spare, plus the jack that can lift a corner of my 36' coach. I'm pushing against my GVW and GCVW, and would like to lighten my load. One option I am hearing is to carry the spare tire, unmounted, then unload everything else. The rationale being that most of us ORFs can't change the tire ourselves anyway, what's more, wouldn't if we could - just call the road service. Could sure use some guidance on this one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many, if not most, new coaches don't even come with a spare tire, I'm told. I'm carrying a mounted spare, plus the jack that can lift a corner of my 36' coach. I'm pushing against my GVW and GCVW, and would like to lighten my load. One option I am hearing is to carry the spare tire, unmounted, then unload everything else. The rationale being that most of us ORFs can't change the tire ourselves anyway, what's more, wouldn't if we could - just call the road service. Could sure use some guidance on this one.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
We do not carry a spare either. No way I could deal with a wheel/tire that large especially if it was an inside rear. Just keep a good road-service policy in effect.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if you are pulling a toad but couple months ago on I-24, I saw a motor home pulling a Jeep wagon. On the wagon "he" had a two inch female type trailer hitch socket. Onto a male insert, "he" welded (I assume) a vertical steel pole and mounted his motor home spare tire on that. Took that weight off the rear of his motor home. This might be a possible solution for you.

Marty
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #5

Since he is bumping the GCVW as well, that wouldn't provide any relief, and would actually add weight with the bracket to hold the spare. Ron is right. A good road service policy is the way to go. If you want to carry just the tire, any decent roadside assist for big rigs can mount it for you. If you really want to be sure, dump the tire and buy a good tire pressure monitoring system for your MH and toad. That way you will catch 99% of your problems before you are stuck on the road somewhere. There are many good ones out there in a variety of price points.

Personally I don't want to muscle around a huge mounted spare on the side of the road, on a dirt shoulder. I will call someone and relax.

The choice is yours!

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for confirming them.

Ken
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
We do not carry a spare either. No way I could deal with a wheel/tire that large especially if it was an inside rear. Just keep a good road-service policy in effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, 'bama, just what I was thinking.

Ken
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare in one of my bays in case I should need it some place or time that a tire store is not open. My tire dealer said it's normal for them on a service call to mount a tire roadside.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #9

I carry a mounted spare. When I had a blowout and the AAA RV folks showed up they did not have the equipment to change it. A few hours later when the tire service truck came they were glad to see that I had a mounted spare as they would not have been able to get the size I needed for three days.

We both had jacks capable of lifting the rig however they preferred to use the HWH jacks instead as they were bolted on and not likely to tip.

I would now be hard pressed to travel without a spare after seeing how long one could be tied up if they were without one.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a mounted spare in our MH and also had a spare in previous rigs. It never fails that when you do have a flat it will be on a Sunday when no one is open or they don't have the correct tire size.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
I carry an unmounted spare in one of my bays in case I should need it some place or time that a tire store is not open. My tire dealer said it's normal for them on a service call to mount a tire roadside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto. I carry an unmounted used spare.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have carried an unmounted spare for the past 18 months since replacing two tires and I kept the good one for a spare. It would get us off the side of the road if there was no similar new tire available locally. I do have mixed feelings about carrying it due to weight, space, and the tire aging it's life away to the point that some day it would not be wise to use it.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
They don't have many spares to choose from along the highways in Baja...
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
I carry a mounted spare in my tracker and a un mounted in the bay.After blowing a right front comming from Atlantic city on Labor day .Good sa m.m road service could only find a tire for $700 I now have coach net joe