Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2004, 02:34 AM   #1

Is it all that difficult to change oil and filters on the cat 330??
Can you use after market products? And, where can they be purchased at a reasonable cost.
Thanks,Ralph
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2004, 02:34 AM   #2

Is it all that difficult to change oil and filters on the cat 330??
Can you use after market products? And, where can they be purchased at a reasonable cost.
Thanks,Ralph
Old 05-23-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ralph, the hardest part is gettting under the engine and with a large filter wrench getting the filter loose. You will need a large oil pan. You can check with NAPA for replacement filters. The next would be to find a way to easily fill the engine with the proper amount of oil. How are things going?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've been changing the oil myself on our Cat engine motorhome ever since it was new. A suggestion my local Cat engine dealer (where I get parts) made to me is that I should use genuine Cat filters as they are actually cheaper then most universel replacements. I've followed that advice and found it to be true.

The 1R0739 oil filter lists at $9.70 each, but my dealer sells them for $ 9.18. Oil is a little over $ $ 5.00 a gallon at walmart. The 4 gallons of oil and filter run me around 30 bucks total and 20 minutes of my time. Sure beats paying dealer prices for it.

As a hint, I use two 5 gallon buckets to drain my oil into. I usually drain about half the oil in one, put the plug back in, then switch buckets. I also leave the air suspension inflated, and I find I have enough room to do the job underneath.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Do you jack it up with the hydraulic jacks? Or is there enough room with just the suspension? Do you have to use any safety blocking? Or is there no way to get smashed?

I have enough room in my drive way to do this and was thinking about it myself.

Walt
Old 05-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #6

kiwi,
What you have been told so far is good advice. I use my levelers to raise the coach and it works just fine. What ever you do, take your waste oil and filter to Waste Recycle Center. I heard that Wal Mart with take it also.

Changing the oil in your New MotorHome will be no different then what you do with your other vehicles, it's just that there is more of it at one time and a hole lot dirtier.

Tomcat F15
"Sometimes, when you want a job done right, you have to do it yourself."
Old 05-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
safcrkr,
Here is the post I did the first time I changed the oil and fuel filter.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=2486094452&m=339606146 4&r=3396061464#3396061464
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #8

I also use a five gallon bucket and can do the change in about 15 minutes. Cat sells a really nice belt type filter wrench. All you 3126 guys--Cat has a new high efficiency oil filter to protect the HEUI system--Part Number 1R-1807, recomended for these engines.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:49 AM   #9

They make a unit, we use on the boats, called Oil-X tractor. The company is located in St. Augustine, FL or was. It pumps the oil out and in and the only oil you get on your hands is from the filter. they also make them to include the transmission. It's a great product.
Also from a company called fumotive, www.fumotovalve.com, they sell a locking valve which replaces your drain plug. You just turn and lock open and lock close to drain the oil.

1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Tom, Kathy and Sydney

Tom, Kathy and Sydney
Tom, Kathy and Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:33 AM   #10

One caution when changing your oil/filter on your DP.

Prefill the the new filter with oil before installing so that the engine/turbo is not running dry when starting the engine. It takes a while to fill these large filters if they are installed empty. You could damage the bearings in the turbo before the oil filter fills and oil pressure comes up to normal.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #11

Cat says do Not pre fill the oil filter. Interesting. I usually pre fill any filter but did not when doing the oil recently based on their instruction..
Old 06-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #12

Instead of recycling the oil- why not burn it in your DP?
Just filter it using a diesel fuel filter and don't add more than 5% of your fuel volume to the tank. Free MPG?
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Sjholt, welcome to iRV2.

I've heard of burning used motor oil before.

Do you have experience with this?

Not too sure I'd try it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #14

Burning of used oil used to be very common in OTR trucks. It was common practice when a big truck had it's oil changed, that oil went right into it's fuel tanks...

Today, Not so much, the newer engines with tighter tolerances and much more complicated injection systems don't like the used oil. I am sure CAT would tell you the same thing.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote