Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Catalytic Comverter

Hi Everyone,
Need a little help here. I just dropped off my 2007 Ford E350, V10 at the dealer for some routine maintenance and to check the "Check engine light" code. Vehicle has been running great, Has 56,700 miles on it. It is a Gulfstream 21 ft BT Crusier.
Dealer says that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced at a price of 3000 dollars parts and labor. Anyone out there had a problen with thier CC on a V10 with such few miles? What do you think about the price?
I have never had to replace a CC on any vehicle i have owned, including the Ford E 150 I have with 150000 miles on it!
What do you think?
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There a 8 year 80,000 mile Federal Emissions warranty that covers the catalytic converter. You should check carefully. You should have book in the glove compartment on Federal Emissions and it will tell you. This includes light trucks.

This is out of the link below:

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

It is all here in this link
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

If nothing else you can buy after market converters a lot cheaper than $3000. Most muffler shops sell them. I had one put on my Ford F-150 for $138.

http://www.catalyticconverterwarehou...FYFM4AoddRPqhw

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I would first get someone else to read the code and affirm it's a cat problem.
Although your truck is probably out of regular warranty it should still be covered by emmisions warranty (Federal law) which could be 8 years/80000 miles or longer (some models increased their emmisions to 100K miles) The factory will tell you the warranty only covers failed cats not plugged ones.......not true unless they can prove negligent service on your part that resulted in excessive oil or fuel that damaged the cat.
You can also buy a laser thermometer from Harbor Freight for about $40 and check the cats operating temp. Minimum 400-600F to operate, normal is 1200-1600F.
In any event an independant shop is probably half the cost of Ford or less.
A quick Google on your model and I found cats for $671, parts only.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I think the dealer is looking for a fast $3,000
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A cat can be damaged by bad gasoline, (Leaded for example) and by some after market octane boosters. Just so you know.

However I think Mike and Dons have it.

I took my wife's mercury Tracer into a Ford dealer once.. First after shaking hands with the service consultant I had a overwhelming desire to

1: Wash my hands
2: Count my fingers

And sure enough..... I ended up reporting them to the state.. They wanted to do over 5,000 in work, including a new transmission (nothing wrong with the old one) to cure a rough idle problem

The problem.. I'd had them do a tune up.. They botched it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks everyone,
I have printed out the EPA material and will check my warrantee book in the morning . I am not at all confident that the dealer knows what he is talking about. He first told me that the readout said that I had an intermitent misfiring code then several hours later he said it was the CC.
I spoke to my regular mechanic , unfortuately does not fix trucks, who said that it was more likely to be a sensor or bad spark plug.
When I got back to the dealer I saw the mechanic who had tested the truck and he told me that once he replaced the air and fuel filters it ran great. His advice was to run the gas out of it and fill it with new gas as it could also be some bad gas.
Since I have no long trips planned for a while that is what I am going to do. In the mean time I am going to look for a good local truck mechanic!
Thanks again
Don
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don, with 57K miles on it have the plugs ever been changed? If it has been a while I would get a good set of Platnium Autolite plugs and put them in. If the motor had Platnium plugs from day one then you are at the end of their life. If it had non platnium plugs then you are beyond their useful life. That OBD-II trouble code could with a misfire is most likely a bad sparkplug. Your vehicle should have two oxygen sensors one being in the exhaust down pipe from the engine before the CC and the second one is in the CC. If the CC was bad then the O2 sensor in the CC will drop a trouble code to say the the CC is not doing its job. Either this mechanic is trying to screw you are he doesn't know what he is doing.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

The miss fire code can also be a coil pack. Each cylinder has its own coil right on top of the plug. The scanner should tell you which cylinder had the miss fire. The plugs should be good to 100K hell I have run them well past 150k and still pass emissions. As for the cats ,there are three, I just had them changed last week on a 2005 E350 5.4l cost me $800. Motor has 520,000 miles on it.
JKaz
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Don, with 57K miles on it have the plugs ever been changed? If it has been a while I would get a good set of Platnium Autolite plugs and put them in. If the motor had Platnium plugs from day one then you are at the end of their life. If it had non platnium plugs then you are beyond their useful life. That OBD-II trouble code could with a misfire is most likely a bad sparkplug. Your vehicle should have two oxygen sensors one being in the exhaust down pipe from the engine before the CC and the second one is in the CC. If the CC was bad then the O2 sensor in the CC will drop a trouble code to say the the CC is not doing its job. Either this mechanic is trying to screw you are he doesn't know what he is doing.
x2
the odds of a cat failing on that low of miles is low.
sparkies first, and be a pain...ask to watch the ecm run through on the laptop......
my ford guy lets me watch.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote