Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
caulking

What type/kind of caulking do most of you use for sealing your rv , like around the bay doors, trim around fender wells, roof ladder, running lights, etc., ? some says silicone, but I don"t think that would be the best it would seem. I know for the rubber roof I use dicon, but the other day I bought roll of enternabond 3"wide to seal the endcaps. For the ones that have used enternabond what do you use to clean the area where to put it? I know this is two questions but I need to know for I'm going to do both next week
thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If your RV is white, the non-sag Dicor is fine for the sides. Dicor self leveling is best for the roof.

If your RV is painted, then clear silicone is used on vertical surfaces and Dicor on the white roof. That's what the Newmar factory uses.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #3

I use Geocel Many others like Marine caulk 5200-4200 and so on ....Most people seem to have stopped using Silicone.....

Long ago (decades actually)...I worked in the boat manufacturing industry...The Silicone that I used at that time ...And we used a lot of it....Seemed to be very different than the product that is being sold today...

Everything that I caulked or bedded in silicone recently had to be reworked in very short order....(One Year or Less)...

What I use for a cleaner both before and as a cleanup ...Is a product that i get form a shop that supplies auto body shops....Just tell them that you want some of that cleaner or wash solvent that you use to remove Silicone before you paint a car....To the best of my knowledge and understanding...(I don't paint cars myself)...Many automotive products...Waxes and such leave a permanent residue that will ruin a new paint job if not treated first with this cleaner....

The Solvent or Cleaner that I am recommending...WILL NOT REMOVE THE PAINT!...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
DECOR- LAP SEALANT FOR THE ROOF WORKS AWSOME. BUT I USE BODY CAULKING FROM PAINT AND BODY SHOPS YOU CAN GET IT SOMETIMES IN THE SAME COLOR AS YOUR UNIT I CARRY AN EXTRA TUBE OR 2 WITH ME.
EVERYONE HAS GOOD IDEAS OF STUFF THEY USE THATS WHAT I USE THO WORKS FOR ME JUST A THOUGHT FOR YA
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

I used Isopropl alcohol and let it dry completely and dry wiped the surface a second time before applying eternabond tape. It didn't leave residue. You might also check the eternabond website for mfg recommendations on cleaning.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhaven View Post
...I use Geocel Many others like Marine caulk 5200-4200 and so on ...
The only time 5200 should be used is on two items you never ever want to separate again. There are many examples of boaters who have used 5200 on through hull fittings, then years later need a new fitting, and have ripped the fiberglass trying to get the old one out. 5200 is literally "permanent."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

All the Dicors are great, but also consider Solar Seal 900 ( 900 ). This caulk has voracious adhesion on almost any construction material and not self leveling. Can be painted and also comes in over 200 NPC colors. Has a good shelf life compared to Dicor and is extremely flexable and very UV resistant as it is intended for exterior. Easy to find at steel roofing/siding suppliers and a color to match almost any paint scheme. Cheaper than Dicor.
Like Dicor or similar products, Solar Seal is not for the "water-cleanup" hearted, but a small bowl of Dawn/water will smooth it nicely.
Never use products containing silicone...silicone has bad adhesion, unless compressed between 2 surfaces (great for gaskets), cannot be painted or painted near where it is used, does not stick to itself and nothing sticks to it, or surfaces where it has been used...very hard to get rid of. As for painting and silicones...big no ,no as silicones can drag to adjoing surface when prepped...body/paint shops hate silicone products.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
All the Dicors are great, but also consider Solar Seal 900 ( 900 ). This caulk has voracious adhesion on almost any construction material and not self leveling. Can be painted and also comes in over 200 NPC colors. Has a good shelf life compared to Dicor and is extremely flexable and very UV resistant as it is intended for exterior. Easy to find at steel roofing/siding suppliers and a color to match almost any paint scheme. Cheaper than Dicor.
Like Dicor or similar products, Solar Seal is not for the "water-cleanup" hearted, but a small bowl of Dawn/water will smooth it nicely.
Never use products containing silicone...silicone has bad adhesion, unless compressed between 2 surfaces (great for gaskets), cannot be painted or painted near where it is used, does not stick to itself and nothing sticks to it, or surfaces where it has been used...very hard to get rid of. As for painting and silicones...big no ,no as silicones can drag to adjoing surface when prepped...body/paint shops hate silicone products.
I just received the 6 tubes of Solar Seal 900 that I ordered and now I am wondering how to clean it out after a few years when it needs replacing.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
When I used the Eterna-Bond on my RV Roof I used Acetone and the Eterna-Clean followed by the Eterna-Prime. Probably over kill but as I was lifting every piece of equipment on the roof and removing all of the old sealant before applying the Eterna-Bond I felt it was necessary. I did take my time and did some of the removal and install in my Barn so I could take my time. I used a variable Temperature control Heat gun set at 400 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit to soften the old sealant and a flexible metal putty knife with the corners rounded off to scrape the caulk as I heated it up. I also used the 4" Eterna-Bond tape. Good Luck, Ed
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #10

To clean everything I had good luck with lots and lots of elbow grease.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Geocel Proflex RV is my favorite and is available in clear or several colors. Lexel also works fine for vertical surfaces and is crystal clear. 3M Body Seam Seal is another top-quality sealer product.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

I have spent a couple days a week the past few weeks removing all the old silicone that was used on my coach by the PO the past 14 years and planning on redoing all the caulking with Dicor sealant.

The silicone was yellow, flaking and deteriorated so much that it was pretty much useless. I can see where layer of layer of silicone was used over the years......
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I have spent a couple days a week the past few weeks removing all the old silicone that was used on my coach by the PO the past 14 years and planning on redoing all the caulking with Dicor sealant.

The silicone was yellow, flaking and deteriorated so much that it was pretty much useless. I can see where layer of layer of silicone was used over the years......
Wow, that's a lot of work. I am starting into that also.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNYORKIE View Post
Wow, that's a lot of work. I am starting into that also.
It's worth it, the old silicone was looking bad and you can see places where it was just re-siliconed and did not remove the old first so it wasn't even bonding.