Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
bachler had it right-if you want a semi=permanent solution go with 3M 5200 marine caulk & adhesive. It sticks like you no what to a blanket so frog tape stuff you don't want covered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I worked in the meraine Industry For years. When we in stalled Parts that needed to be Put it place Steel/aluminum/fiber glass/wood. What ever we would use . a product called 5200. If you were cought using Silicone, You were kindly asked to pick up your check.I hold to that standerd ON silicone or caulk on the exterior of a RV.
Amen! Silicone-based sealants are a problem waiting to happen.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Amen! Silicone-based sealants are a problem waiting to happen.
Why? I have used RTV type sealants/adhesives for nearly 50 years and have yet to have any problems.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
bachler had it right-if you want a semi=permanent solution go with 3M 5200 marine caulk & adhesive. It sticks like you no what to a blanket so frog tape stuff you don't want covered.
The ONLY place to use 5200 is a seam or fitting that you will never ever have to open again. Once 5200 is on, you cannot get it off or separate what it is holding together. In the boating community some over zealous boaters use on thru hull fittings. When the one they've sealed with 5200 needs replacing, usually the fiberglass rips and comes apart before the 5200 breaks loose.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
3M 4200 is like 5200 except that it will come apart, with persuasion but it is not almost impossible like the 5200. I used this to seal the windows on our old class C and did not have a problem.

Like other posters have suggested, we used ProFlex RV on the vertical seams. The clear ProFlex does yellow with age (at least it did on our coach) so you may want to pick a color.

We have used Dicor in the past but will use Eternabond on our current coach roof when the next sealing time comes up (later this spring unfortunately ).
Luv2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to wileyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Remember the window frames were only sealed around the top on purpose
I'm not sure why you say the caulk/sealant is applied only to the top of the windows. My coach is ten years old and the entire window frames are sealed. I am getting ready to reseal them with Geocel Proflex RV and would like to know the right way of doing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dicore caulks (Both self leveling and non-self levelling depending on the seam) will last for years..

RTV when used between two things that clamp together will last for years, but when used like caulking I"d be surprised if it lasted a year. It does not stick well. AND, what's worse, other products do not stick to it well.

I have used it to patch holes in screens though, works good there since, in this case, the remaining screen is "Sandwiched" in by the RTV.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
RTV or silicone don't "really" stick. Moisture still gets behind it and allows mildew to form, (such as around a bath tub). And, it peels off fairly easily.
I would suggest a DICOR product, or others made for exterior use on an RV.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
RTV or silicone don't "really" stick. Moisture still gets behind it and allows mildew to form, (such as around a bath tub). And, it peels off fairly easily.
I would suggest a DICOR product, or others made for exterior use on an RV.
Your comment re: RTV do not correlate with my 50 years of using RTV products. In fact one of the bad points of using RTV is its difficult to remove.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not found RTV to be reliable as a caulking compound.. Though it seems to work well for tubs. But it's easy to peal off at least SOME of it.. The problem is if you need to re-caulk.

Dicor on the other hand. is dang near impossible to get off your hands after you mess with it. Always a good sign.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;822769]My preference for general purpose caulking is Geocel Proflex (or Proflex RV), a tripolymer sealer that works well on fiberglass, metal and even EPDM rubber. It is available in clear, white and 8 other colors.

X2 on the Proflex!
It is available at most ACE Hardware store in clear and they will order the colors ~$7 did the roof to gutter seams last year and they look like I did them yesterday.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #26
GPW

If Dicor is That Wonderful , why does it have to be inspected every couple months ... ?
Given the current state of RV manufacturers , I'd say they only reasons they use it is because they can get it cheap in quantity , it's Quick to apply at the factory in their hurried production , and it might last through the short warranty period ... Like it or not RV's are currently built to a price point , for Profit ... and NOT made to last ... No go out and inspect your roof .... Again !!!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
For painted RVs, clear silicone is used on the painted areas.
Not on our Newmar, they say the only thing silicone is used for is to cover the real sealant underneath to keep it from weathering so much.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I just got done peeling off all the silicone the last owner used.. peeled with little effort just using my fingers.

x3 on the Geocel.. theres also a product called 'Ultima' that is like the ProFlex