Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Caution: With The Money You Save...

Just a heads up here, as I don't really know where to put this post. We recently updated our RV from a 28' Class C to a 37' Class A and are having a blast sorting and buying, making it our own, so to speak.

We let our Under-cabinet coffee maker go with the older unit, and could not find a new one readily available so the DW purchased a 'less expensive' counter top brand from Wally's (made in china) to get us by until we could find one. As suggested, she ran several pots of fresh water thru' it to break it in and remove any impurities. In doing so, we now have a cracked Corian counter top all the way across to the wall on the L portion return. The heat expansion from the bottom of the coffee maker in one spot for that length of time was too much for it I guess. A heart breaker for us... but now I know why we saw so many units with the cracked counter tops when we were looking for our new RV. I wondered why several of them were busted and what in the world would cause it. Sorrowfully, now we know.

I have since made a small platform of scrap corian, with feet of the 45 degree corners I trimmed off, & rubber to prevent sliding, allowing air to pass under, and the wife can use it for the coffee maker, elect. frypan, or whatever else she may come up with in the kitchen.

If only we would have known before hand. I hope this helps others. I hope this isn't too political, or company bashing but folks need to know. I sure wished we did. Sometimes saving money isn't the best approach.
Roger

Kicknbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YouTube - ‪CORIAN REPAIR and RESTORATION‬‏
You can repair..Let us know if this works..........
Richard

She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Roger,
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your mishap. It's not political or vendor bashing to explain your situation, as a matter of fact it's helpful to the members. Hope you can get it repaired.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Now you have me worried. I will have to check the counter top to see if it is getting hot. We have been using counter top coffee makers on our corian counters in two coaches now since 2004. So far no problems but we just bought a Black & Decker at Wally World a couple of months ago.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
YouTube - ‪CORIAN REPAIR and RESTORATION‬‏
You can repair..Let us know if this works..........
Richard
Thanks Richard. Send that feller on down here when he can break free, OK? I don't think It's anything I'll be approaching myself. I'd end up replacing the whole counter top. ;-)) It is nice to know that it can be fixed however, and I will check it out farther. I owe you one... thanks! Roger
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicknbak View Post
Thanks Richard. Send that feller on down here when he can break free, OK? I don't think It's anything I'll be approaching myself. I'd end up replacing the whole counter top. ;-)) It is nice to know that it can be fixed however, and I will check it out farther. I owe you one... thanks! Roger
Your welcome!
Something cold.its 100 today! Great forum, Good folks here!
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

Roger, I can't see where you've done any 'bashing'. That's the exact kind of info consumers need to make the right choice so they too don't end up with a cracked counter top...or whatever. How else will consumers hold manufacturers accountable for a product not worth buying...bring up the quality or close the doors! I'd like to know the make and model so I won't be saying "I wish I knew". Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Roger, Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your counter. We take our Cuisinart Keurig coffee maker with us when we go. No heat there.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any kitchen store, in fact I suspect the "Home" departments at Department stors including Wall Mart or K-Mart will have "hot pads" often these are insulating pads with copper tops. Designed to prevent just this type of thing from happening.

I use a 1-cup coffee maker, no problems with that to date, Proctor Silex.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you had this happen but thanks very much for sharing!

Best of luck with your new rig.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Roger,
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your mishap. It's not political or vendor bashing to explain your situation, as a matter of fact it's helpful to the members. Hope you can get it repaired.
I just could not say it any better myself.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Walmart Coffee Maker... Hamilton Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Roger, I can't see where you've done any 'bashing'. That's the exact kind of info consumers need to make the right choice so they too don't end up with a cracked counter top...or whatever. How else will consumers hold manufacturers accountable for a product not worth buying...bring up the quality or close the doors! I'd like to know the make and model so I won't be saying "I wish I knew". Bob
Thanks to you all for the warm Welcomes. Here it's 1 AM and I'm out traipsing around in the motor home looking for the brand name of the China made coffee maker. Turns out, it's a Hamilton Beach Bob, thanks for asking. Upon closer inspection, there is no space at all, or any feet pads to speak of between the metal base heater and the counter top. Like I said, a real cheapo. I wonder if Walmart would kick in for a new counter top??? Cost us plenty in the long run however. Didn't that used to be an American Company??? Ahhh, I won't go there this morning.
We're still looking for an under cabinet coffee maker, if any of you know who carries them now... or were they too expensive and too good to stay in business. Have a great weekend... Keep smiling, Roger
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow. Thank you for the heads up, and I'm sorry about the damage to your counter! You really got me thinking, though . . . not only have I used my coffee maker with impunity on the counter, but since our new to us coach does not have a propane oven, we recently bought a toaster oven for an upcoming trip involving teenagers . I had not thought about heat on the corian counter, and will now make sure that I only use it on the large trivet that we have in the coach. We use the trivet for hot pans and pots, but did not really think about appliances!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
My daughter gave us a Black and Decker Spacemaker coffee maker for Christmas. I had complained that the other undercounter coffee maker we had was steaming up the cabinets. I had to wax the cabinets after each trip, because the steam had started to bleach the finish. The new spacemaker does not do this. She bought this on line. It is a model no. SDC750