Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

CB antenna advice needed

I want to install a CB in my new Forester Class C (Chevy 4500 chassis). I've got the radio picked out but I'm having issues trying to figured out what to do for the antenna. I've got Velvac mirrors so I was going to attach an antenna mount as far outboard as possible on the Velvac arm. Only problem with that is that a 4' antenna doesn't reach to the roof edge and a 5' antenna extends about an inch past the roof edge. From everything I've been able to learn about CB antennas, 2/3rd of the antenna is supposed to be above the roofline.

I don't want to drill any holes in the coach so that's a non-starter for a solution.

I'm a retired LEO and I had a couple assigned vehicles that had antennas mounted on a bracket on the front fender that went under the hood and attached to the inside of the fender. I'm thinking this may be my only option. I can install a 4' or 5' antenna so it's forward of the nose of the coach body overhang. I figure radio coverage towards the rear of the vehicle is going to be slim to none, but as the entire length of the antenna is exposed across the entire vehicle front, I should have reasonable transmission/reception coverage in front of me.

My question for the CB experts out there is this - do I need a No Ground Plane antenna or will a regular ground plane antenna work because I'll be installing it on the sheet metal fender (actually to a metal bracket that goes between the fender and front hood - but bolted to the van metal)? Which type of antenna would work best installing it that way? Is it better to use a No Ground Plane antenna because of the small amount of metal on the front of the Class C?

Advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A regular ground plane will work since you will be mounting to a metal fender.

http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-un...o+mount+fender

Amazon sell many different mounts this one fits a Toyota. They sell one too that fits under the front of the hood.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A regular ground plane may not work on the Velvac Mirror arms because the arms are not long enough to provide a ground plane, Use an NGP (no Ground Plane) antenna

Though you are correct about the antenna working better if most of it is above the roof line, ON A CAR.. on an RV that is simply not possible unless you go with short antennas that basically do not work period.

The reason is this.. Your roof is what 12 feet give or take a bit.. Many bridges and overpasses are only around 14 feet, you put 2/3 of the antenna above the roof and WHAM, you have 2/3 of your antenna left.

Ther are two solutions.. one is to mount it so the antenna is just an inch or so higher than the tallest thing on your roof (more on that)

The other is "Twin Trucker" (Dual antennas one on each mirror
This last, if done properly or close to it, gives the antennas a pattern which favors the front and rear of the vehicle.. Which is exactly what you want..

What I did.. I went with a mount lagged into the "A" pillar (Just behind the windshield) I set the top to be just a bit higher than my Air Conditioenrs so if I come up to a low bridge,, If the somewhat flexible antenna hits.. Back off and find another route.

Recommendation is the longer of the No Ground Plane antennas.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A regular ground plane may not work on the Velvac Mirror arms because the arms are not long enough to provide a ground plane, Use an NGP (no Ground Plane) antenna

Though you are correct about the antenna working better if most of it is above the roof line, ON A CAR.. on an RV that is simply not possible unless you go with short antennas that basically do not work period.

The reason is this.. Your roof is what 12 feet give or take a bit.. Many bridges and overpasses are only around 14 feet, you put 2/3 of the antenna above the roof and WHAM, you have 2/3 of your antenna left.

Ther are two solutions.. one is to mount it so the antenna is just an inch or so higher than the tallest thing on your roof (more on that)

The other is "Twin Trucker" (Dual antennas one on each mirror
This last, if done properly or close to it, gives the antennas a pattern which favors the front and rear of the vehicle.. Which is exactly what you want..

What I did.. I went with a mount lagged into the "A" pillar (Just behind the windshield) I set the top to be just a bit higher than my Air Conditioenrs so if I come up to a low bridge,, If the somewhat flexible antenna hits.. Back off and find another route.

Recommendation is the longer of the No Ground Plane antennas.
I've pretty much given up on the mirror mount. Right now I'm leaning towards the front fender/hood mount as it will expose the entire length of the antenna forward.

Tags
advice, antenna