Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #1

Anybody know if it is possible (easy) to install a CB radio antenna on the driver side mirror on a Kodiak C5500? I would like to drill a hoke in the top of the mirror on the driver's side and mount a 4 foot Firestick II there. I would like to run the cable inside the mirror and then into the mirror arm to get it into the cab area.

Anyone done this before and seen one like this?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #2

Anybody know if it is possible (easy) to install a CB radio antenna on the driver side mirror on a Kodiak C5500? I would like to drill a hoke in the top of the mirror on the driver's side and mount a 4 foot Firestick II there. I would like to run the cable inside the mirror and then into the mirror arm to get it into the cab area.

Anyone done this before and seen one like this?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

Wouldn't it be simpler to use a K40 or a Wilson antenna with a magnetic base. Then it could be centered on the roof where it would be most efficient.. This is the set-up I had on my previous truck and it worked fine.

Remi
Airstream Land yacht 30 2002
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

No room due to Class C overcab area. Also, I have not had good luck with magnetic base antennas and getting a good ground.

I don't want to drill holes in the cab or the house but the mirror looks to be a good antenna location and is well grounded to the cab.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I think you should contact a Chevy dealer about mounting your antena. I don't think drilling into the mirror housing would be a good idea. Aren't they made of a plastic material? I would suggest mounting it on the side of the over cab portion of the house. But, contacting a Chevy dealer (trucks) should be done first.
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #6

The mirror housing is metal and is connected to a metal arm that is bolted to the cab so there is a good ground and should provide a good groundplane for the antenna. I do not want to drill holes and mount an antenna on the fiberglass cabover area for many reason. I was interested if anyone here had mounted one on a Kodiak mirror before.

Thanks for they replies.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #7

One other thing to look into is find out who the maufacturer of your mirror is (Velvac?) and call them to see if they have the housings with the CB mounts built in.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

I called GM and they said Do Not install anything on the mirrors. They are having problems with them breaking off and any additional stress (from an antenna mounted on them at 60 mph) would be a bad thing.

They also said that GM makes the mirrror and not Velvac or any other company they would share with me.

Looks like I am back to square one with this. I have an old magnetic base antenna that I will try on the forward part of the cab roof. It might just fit but will not be an ideal setup due to the closeness of the cabover area. The other option is to mount on the cabover area and use a no groundplane antenna.

That will be a while with the coach in storage and the temperatures well below freezing here for many weeks to come.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I got a 90 degree stainless bracket from radio shack and mounted my fire stick by the slide on a spring base routed wire through the corner of the slide with no problem. Secured with clamps No problemo....works fine not noticeable. Did go too a shorter antenna broke the tip on the other one in a truck wash. Antenna tip is approximatly 3" over every thing else works great.

Mike

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote