Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Just purchased a 2008 Itasca Navion 24H and want to install a CB radio w/ weather channel. Anybody done this? I want to put the radio on the shelf over the driver visor. What antenna is best and how is it mounted. I'm looking at Cobra radios; 18, 25NW or 29NW w/ weatherband. Any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #2

Just purchased a 2008 Itasca Navion 24H and want to install a CB radio w/ weather channel. Anybody done this? I want to put the radio on the shelf over the driver visor. What antenna is best and how is it mounted. I'm looking at Cobra radios; 18, 25NW or 29NW w/ weatherband. Any recommendations?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #3

Hi K Welcome aboard!!!

I just installed a Cobra 25 with a Firestyk No Groun Plane Antennae in my coach.
Used the side wall mount for antennae.
Install was no problem.

Rick
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #4

Could you be a bit more specific about where on the sidewall you installed the antenna?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
k gonnam,
Welcome to irv2. If you use a Firestik no ground plane antenna kit, you can install the antenna anywhere you want. There are two limitations.

1. The antenna wire that comes with the kit should not be shortened or lengthened.
2. A minimum of 2/3 the antenna should clear the roof of the coach.

Try not to mount the antenna near anything that will block its' "view" of the surrounding area.
The Firestik kits come with antenna, mount (your choice), and wire. One needs to purchase a spring (they sell them too). Go here to look at the Firestik web site.

Consider determining what the best place (clearest view) for the antenna. Then determine if you can safely drill into the coach to feed the wire. For me, this is usually the most difficult part of the install. Go here to see where I mounted the antenna kit on my coach.

Once all is complete, do a SWR check on the installation so the antenna can be tuned for best performance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

My antennae install was top of Drivers side 'A' post!!

Close to driver and power!!

Rick
Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a mount for my dodge conversion van that was for angled hoods. It fit inbetween the fender and the hood. Can be seen here:
VICTORY VSSSMV-1L S/S LEFT HOOD GROOVE MOUNT FOR VANS OR ANGELED HOOD
at:
http://www.cbcity.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=102&

they also make this type that is adjustable:
http://www.walcottcb.com/product_inf...roducts_id=313
The angle bracket works well on the conversion van with a short (3 footer) firestick antenna.
I tried one of those thru the glass antennas on the last rv and promptly tossed it out. NO good. That rig was a class A and I ended up mounting a bracket to the driver door frame and had the top loaded firestick sticking about 6 inches over the roof line.
On my latest chevy chassis class c I just used a straight cb bar bracket mounted on the base of the bumper on the drivers side with my old 7 ft francis whip. It is not as good as a dual mount but it does what I want, which is mainly monitoring and occasional chat. I put a tennis ball near the base of the antenna so it is a snug fit against the bumper and keeps the antenna from moving around too much. It does not clear the top of the coach but my reception seems to be quite good and much better than I thought it would be.
On all of the coaches I didn't want the top of antenna too far above the roof line. With the class a I even ran into problems with lower branches and had to take off the antenna sometimes.

I am a relic from the past and still run a pearce simpson tiger 40 radio which is almost as good as anything I've found out there aside from the top galaxy or cobra. That anl switch is a good thing on a radio. That is on the better units, the one on the cheap uniden (which I have and don't use) is worthless.
I made a mount on the ceiling out of oak for the new chevy. It is attached to a channel in the ceiling ( long self drilling screws thru the headliner to hold the oak board up) inbetween the visors. I like it up there better than underneath in the dash area. If you want a picture of the setup just yell. I'm not sure how the nav. is set up or if you could do that with it.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hello K gonnam. This is not a CB related question (sorry!) but just wanted to know what kind of mileage you were getting on your 2008 Navion. We are interested in the 08, but it seems the 07 (5 cyl.) gets better mileage due to the smaller engine. Would love your input. Thanks Bunches! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #9

Sorry, it's too early to tell. We took possession Dec 3rd but other than a couple of short trips here in Florida we haven't used it. It still has less than 2000 miles on it and is not really broken in. We will be headed north in mid-April and will put approximately 2000 more miles on durinng that trip. I'll try to get back to you when we get home but may forget. If you haven't heard from me by May 15'th, drop me a note.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #10

Felt I should probably follow up with what I installed in my Navion and how I did it. I chose a Cobra 18 WX ST II radio with a Firestyk 4' Firefly tuneable antenna on an angle hood bracket. I purchased all the equipment from Right Channel Radio and with the help of a friend did the installation myself (actually my friend did the work while I played gopher). I installed the radio on the visor shelf over the drivers seat. The 18 has a front mounted speaker so my ability to hear is pretty good. We chose the hood bracket because I just thought it was better not to be drilling holes in the RV that I didn't need. We ended up getting power via an aux plug that plugs in the 12v outlet at the bottom of the center dash. We ran the wire under the floor rug and along with the antenna cable, up the side pillar under the rubber gasket. Overall it works pretty well although I really can't tell what range I'm getting.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Buddies getting together and adding stuff to the RV. It's one of RVing's great pleasures. It sounds like you have and installation that looks good and will work for you.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote