Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am looking for a CB for my Pace Arrow, has anyone had any experience with the Cobra 75 WXST? This is the radio with the controlls in the handset.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am looking for a CB for my Pace Arrow, has anyone had any experience with the Cobra 75 WXST? This is the radio with the controlls in the handset.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cobra generally has a good name in the industry. I had a couple of Cbs years ago with the controls in the mic and really did not like them that well. Problems were that the mic was heavy and bulky, audio was generally not that good and both had problems with shorts in the cable.

I prefer to get a unit with a separate mic and add a better quality external speaker.

ken
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi offshore,
I have the radio mentioned in your post. It works outstandingly. I would not return to the larger CB radio. I have lead RV caravans that stretched over several miles long and the tail gunner could still hear me, loud and clear.

My entire setup may explain why there are a wide variety of opinions about this radio. Successful CB installations are about more than the radio. I have an external speaker with a head set jack. I use a headset to hear what is being received. This is so the wife need not be subjected to the usual low class language found on CB channels. I also have a Firestik no ground plane antenna kit with a 4' top loaded antenna. The top of the antenna is 14' 2" above ground. The antenna has been tuned for optimum performance. The radio does not care if the antenna has a gound plane or not. What is important is the antenna, mount and wire are all for a no ground plane or gound plane installation. Do not mix these components.

When you make your decision please remember a well tuned antenna, placed above all the stuff we have on our coach roofs, is the key to success.

Go here to see the radio placement. (I'm left handed.)
Go here to see the antenna and mount. This is the 3' antenna. I have replaced it with a 4' antenna. Everything else remains as pictured.
Go here to see the external speaker with head set jack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Works great... PM me I have new one in the box for sale.. I got a special deal on 2.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I had one of those rigs in the American Dream we had. I like Ken did not like it at all....

Before anyone wants to claim I had it improperly mounted.... (Antenna or radio) I am an Amateur Radio operator that has been fooling with electronics as long as I have been arond RV's. (Over 30 years) I have held the Amateur "Extra" class ticket since 1991. (Highest class Amateur license available) So I am very competant with radio equipment and antenna systems.

I tried almost all the tricks I know to make the radio platable without any luck. I finally ripped it out and put a "Regular" radio in the rig. (Same antenna system) That did the trick......

But that was my opinion of the rig. Some like them, I don't.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

After posting I noticed you were in Livingston "Offshore". I am just a short distance from you "Through the woods".

If you need any help mounting/settingup/tuning the antenna whatever rig you decide on give "A holler". I'll be glad to help ya any way I can.

Don
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #8

Gary The antennae mount??? Does that mount/base come with the Fyrstik Antennae????

Rick
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Rick,
Yes, the antenna, mount and wire are a kit. The antenna spring also comes from Firestik, but it is extra. Go here to get the the Firestik web site. My kit is part #
LG4-M2-B ($46.99), the spring is part # is SS-3H ($11.99)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put a Cobra 75 WXST in my MH in 2003, using the pre-wired from the factory antenna. The antenna is marginal as far as SWR adjustment is concerned --barely within limits-- but I have no complaints whatsoever about the performance of the radio. It was easy to install, and works as well as any other CB I have had over the years. When I want to improve it, I'll concentrate on the antenna.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #11

Gary Thanx Got the Part# You said your overall hieght was 14'2"!!!

How many bridges do you touch???

I was thinkig about 6" over the highest part of RV. Themn you have a reminder!! I the aerial hits DoNot GO!!!

Rick
Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rick,
Hit nothing more than tree limbs at no faster than 35 MPH. Some roads I know the trees will be there and will tie down the antenna. The reason I went with the 4' antenna was because the 3' antenna did not perform to my satisfaction. I think, in the case of CB antennas, size matters. With a top loaded antenna, the higher one gets above all the other stuff, the better the performance.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Hi offshore,
I have the radio mentioned in your post. It works outstandingly. I would not return to the larger CB radio. I have lead RV caravans that stretched over several miles long and the tail gunner could still hear me, loud and clear.

My entire setup may explain why there are a wide variety of opinions about this radio. Successful CB installations are about more than the radio. I have an external speaker with a head set jack. I use a headset to hear what is being received. This is so the wife need not be subjected to the usual low class language found on CB channels. I also have a Firestik no ground plane antenna kit with a 4' top loaded antenna. The top of the antenna is 14' 2" above ground. The antenna has been tuned for optimum performance. The radio does not care if the antenna has a gound plane or not. What is important is the antenna, mount and wire are all for a no ground plane or gound plane installation. Do not mix these components.

When you make your decision please remember a well tuned antenna, placed above all the stuff we have on our coach roofs, is the key to success.

Go here to see the radio placement. (I'm left handed.)
Go here to see the antenna and mount. This is the 3' antenna. I have replaced it with a 4' antenna. Everything else remains as pictured.
Go here to see the external speaker with head set jack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just curious as to where u plugged in the external speaker jack to the Cobra 75WXST all-in-one unit.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
The external speaker plugs into a box that comes with the radio. When installed, the box is hidden. The radio plugs into the box along with the antenna wire and external speaker. There must be a control board inside the box to control all the signals.