Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #15

I put a Cellular look-alike Firestik no-groundplane CB antenna on the roof of my coach. Only extends about 12" above the roof, and it has an angle bracket to lower the profile. I don't have a lot of use under my belt with this antenna yet, but it does work.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Rick,
The short answer is no. One can not install a no ground plane antenna on a ground plane antenna wire.

This is because there are several components to the antenna system. These components are the wire, mount and antenna. All components must be for a ground plane or no ground plane installation.

The radio does not care which antenna installation is used as long as all the components are for either ground plane or no ground plane antenna system.

Consider calling Newmar and double checking what antenna system was installed, on your coach.

Don has an interesting solution. You might want to call Firestik and discuss this with them. All of us have different CB radio needs. I need to have people hear me several miles away. There may be other solutions if your needs are not as demanding as mine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #17

Hey Gary I was planning on replacing everything the antennae!!,mount!! and coax!!!

Just thought using the existing hole I would go with another roof mount!!
Rick
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #18

Hey Pusherman!! When you changed antennae did you change coax also???
If not was the old coax connection at antennae base???

Rick
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #19

My new coach had no CB antenna at all. So it was a new install w/ antenna and coax.

Note: Firestick's instructions specifically state that you MUST use their coax as it's specifically designed for a no groud-plane antenna.

I would heed their recommendation.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #20
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, also, have noticed a decrease in CB traffic in comparison to the 70s/80s. This has been a pattern in 2 MH and my portable in the toad. When we get near a congested area (such as towns, Interstate intersections, accidents, etc.) there is a noticible increase in CB chatter. Therefore, I think it is a sign of the times rather than a CB reception problem.

Of course, if your running with more than 5 W....

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #21

CB radio is fine for short range communications within several miles, much like FRS radios. The CB band is also subject to the 11 year sunspot cycle, which is currently wreaking havoc on shortwave frequencies. We are now at the lowest point of the cycle, so absorbtion of radio signals on the CB band is why you don't hear many signals from a distance. However, hold on because in 4-6 years you'll hear the opposite effect. Then you won't find a clear channel, so keep those FRS radios! Or, better still, get a ham radio license!!
summerwinds48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Recently stepped out of the big truck for the last time, so I could spend more time in a better big rig - our MH! Trust me, the CB traffic is heavier than ever! Bontemp, try increasing RF gain if you have that knob on your radio. If one is CB legal, max 4 watts, best TX and RX distance is typically 4 miles.
I just replaced the sidemount Shakespeare 4050-B antenna system (no ground plane) with an Everhartt side mount ground plane system on our Damon Intruder with fiberglass shell. This system is suitable for fiberglass mounting and comes with a metal back plate that serves as the ground plane. This system is dual band - CB and NOAA weather, which is the main reason I switched. I am very pleased with operation of new system. Previous reply is right - for best results, make sure a matched, SWR calibrated antenna system is installed - antenna wand, mount, ground plane(if used), connectors and coax are matched, factory calibrated - and do not change connectors nor length of factory coax. Its OK to add extension coax to radio end of factory coax, if necessary. Again, for best performance, calibrate SWR of antenna system. You may get by violating these installation practices, but, chances are, performance will not be optimum, but not everyone needs optimum performance. Unless, of course, they are big truck drivers
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote