Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ahh, the nostalgia of CB's - the Twitter of the Road back in the day.

If the rig I end up buying doesn't already have a good one, I'm installing one. For piece of mind, just breaking the monotony in the middle of a long day, or gathering information on what's ahead of me. It makes a lot of sense, and really good ones just aren't that expensive.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
...We have also used it to block those who pass and want... to pull in at the last moment...
Please let us know how to do that. I'll put a CB in every vehicle!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #17

Looks like I'm buying a Midland 40 channel CB radio. Dash mount. Midland is a brand popular with truckers. I use it for emergency and to communicate with the truckers and fellow RViers in need of help. Easy to use just stay off of channels 9 and 19. 9 is emergency. 19 is trucker dispatch only.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Oh, and the nagivator is shouting: "turn that **** off". But I keep it on hoping it may someday justify its existence.
I agree with my fellow posters. I monitor 13-19 and rarely even hear truckers talking. But I do hear the DW telling me turn it off even though I have the squelch high, some guy in east jesus packistan is ranting and raving over skip and when that happens...off it goes.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I agree with my fellow posters. I monitor 13-19 and rarely even hear truckers talking. But I do hear the DW telling me turn it off even though I have the squelch high, some guy in east jesus packistan is ranting and raving over skip and when that happens...off it goes.
Channel 20 or above is probably ok. But anything under channel 20 is questionable. Basically if you don't pick up the mic, they don't know your listening half the time.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Looks like I'm buying a Midland 40 channel CB radio. Dash mount. Midland is a brand popular with truckers. I use it for emergency and to communicate with the truckers and fellow RViers in need of help. Easy to use just stay off of channels 9 and 19. 9 is emergency. 19 is trucker dispatch only.
"19 is trucker dispatch only" That's the first time I have heard that's its trucker dispatch only and to stay off of it. I'm on it all the time talking to truckers.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Easy to use just stay off of channels 9 and 19. 9 is emergency. 19 is trucker dispatch only.
Not quite. Channel 9 is frequently (not always) monitored by Highway Patrol, County or local law enforcement. While you shouldn't have an extended conversation on 9, use it if you need to.

Channel 19 isn't a dispatch channel. All CB channels are public and you're free to use 19 if you like to chat with truckers who are on the air. This is the best place to establish communications with others to figure out what the road ahead is like, any speed traps, any weather or traffic concerns. Be prepared to offer up your own assessment of the road behind you. If you're going to participate in an extended conversation, move off of 19 and onto a working channel.

CBs are a lot of noise around the truck stops and major cities. Out of town, they're a great source of local information. Listen to conversations for awhile and you'll pick up the chatter and its meaning. It's not rocket science.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #22

I have a class C 30ft where is the best place to mount a antenna ? I have a fiberglass roof . Someone mentioned on the back ladder and running the cable underneath the unit and then coming inside the firewall. I never done anything like that is it hard coming through the firewall. I also have mirrors that don't come out pass the over head sleep over so that is not an option.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking of radios.. time for me to do the WA8YXM thing (ham Radio). So this will be short.

I too used and earpiece when my wife was alive so she would not have to listen to it.

My position is this: When "Stuff" happens and it will, communications may well be a lifesaver,, So I have CB, Ham and Cell phone.. I have been in places where only one of those worked.

Having options can make the difference.

One of the fun things about Ham Radio......
Usually my main Ham antenna is a bit over 80 feet of wire fed by an auto-tuner... But due to the lack of trees (Supporting structurers) I use a shorter wire here (50 feet) and the result is there are some nets (Like one back in Michigan) I can not reach....

Last night I surprised them with a solid signal.. I connected via internet adn VoIP to a fellow ham about 200 miles north of me and used his 75/80 meter dipole and Icom IC-7600 from this laptop. Ray was commenting on how noisy the band was, but I was hearing some of the clearest signals I have heard in a long time.

It was fun.. Can not do that on CB, no way.

Another feature is I can connect to my main radio on VHF or UHF and control it from most anywhere in the campground (Most any campground I am parked in) or near the campground (Few miles) and relay to the other half of the radio (High Frequency).. Works great.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #24

The center wire in the coax to my antenna broke, and I guess that resulted in frying my transmitter, but the receiver part works fine (even with the broken wire???) and I mostly just listen to traffic reports, etc., anyway. I too am questioning whether to replace it or just receive. I would need an NGP antenna anyway, and I think the current one needs a ground plane, so that would add to the cost and problems.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd like to, but I haven't figured out how/where to put the antenna. I have a magnetic mount antenna that I used to use on my minivan roof, and it has a small stick antenna for handheld use. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
UAV

I agree completely with WA8YXM!

When all else fails, and it will at some point and for some reason, it is good to have communications.

I am a Ham Radio Operator and keep the CB on Channel 14 along with a quality cell phone.

You will be glad you have options when you need them!

Good luck...

WK0P
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio