Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

CB Radios

Wondering how many rv'ers use the CB and for what?
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I use one to listen to the truckers when the freeway bogs down. They always know the way around a traffic jam.

Contrary to what people say about the foul language, I have found that most truckers now days are very courteous and not real potty mouthed in fact I enjoy talking to them about the route. Most of the potty mouth is around the truck stops so turn the radio off
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I tried to resurrect my CB before we left on our current trip ~6 weeks ago. Bought a new Firestik antenna but do not have a SWR meter to tune so I don't have very good reception yet.

I did use it several time on interstate when traffic is stopped to see what's going on. The truckers communicate back and forth on channel 19 and you can get good information.

They say channel 13 is used by RVer's but I have not heard any chatter on that channel.

Unfortunately with cellphones and GPS's the need for a CB is not as great as it once was.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that the foul language on ch 19 has been reduced a lot. I rarely use CB for traffic as my GPS has traffic reports on it. Just to satisfy my curiosity I recently drove 1000 miles from NJ to NC and back with my CB on channel 13. I was on interstates most of the time and I never heard one RVer. I even tried to start conversations in case no one was talking nada.

I guess the only use for it is if you are travelling in a caravan.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run with two CBs on, one on 19 (Truckers) one on 13 (Good Sam's channel) normally both are rather silent.

True stories 1 and 2
Years ago (Several) returning to Detroit from Union City MI, near Christmas in a freezing rain the CB tells me of an overturned semi in front of me.. I start backing it down. When it comes time to stop and wait I'm between two cars, both totaled, one in the ditch, other median, They were not so lucky, other half of the accident made it to next exit, They sheltered with me till Police came and I ended up taking them home.. Without the CB.. There might easily have been a 5th vehicle involved (MINE) but as it was.. I did not even rate honorable mention in the accident report.

Story 2: 2 falls ago, Heading south, in KY long about Mile Marker 77-78 on I-75 CB tells me of not one but TWO fatal accidents long about MM 73.. Took exit 76, Enjoyed a nice restful night,,, Got back on the freeway in the morning.... Poor folks behind me got stuck in a multi-hour traffic jam... YES, i'd say the CB was well worth the cost. Both times.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Had it on my last coach and primarily used it for the weather when things got ugly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

We use ours only when traveling with a group of other Rv's.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

Use it once in a while when travelling with others. I prefer an FRS radio. They are much clearer sounding and I find that most people don't tune their CB antennas, so cannot talk over long distances.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi G Shaw,
I use the CB all the time. I have an ear piece so only I know what is being said. Listen mostly. Provide education, about motor coach drivers, to truckers when they need it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

I started truckin' in 1976. Used a CB countless hours. Today the CB is an endangered species due to other electronic devices available.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #11

My problem with CB is that I can't understand what they're saying. I think that they think they have to scream into their microphones. All I hear is unintelligible noise. Back in August, we were stopped dead on I95 near Savannah for 10 minutes before anyone broke silence on channel 19. Too late to do me any good.
My CB can monitor 2 channels. I set it for 13 and 19. I've never heard anything on 13 and very little understandable on19.
Oh, and the nagivator is shouting: "turn that **** off". But I keep it on hoping it may someday justify its existence.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Always try to have the CB on while traveling. We keep it on 19 to listen to the truckers and use it mainly for accidents or traffic slowdowns. The truckers will tell us what lane we need to be in long before we arrive at an accident. We have also used it to follow trucks on alternate routes or to block those who pass and want to pull in at the last moment. It makes traveling easier.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

I have tried listening to it numerous times...but never been able to understand what anybody is saying. To me, it is just a bunch of noise. Maybe, just maybe, some day I will need it in an emergency...but I doubt it.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
Wondering how many rv'ers use the CB and for what?
Many Class A Motorhomes and some class C come equipped with what is known as "citizen band radio". Some RViers like to talk to the truckers. Truckers have been known to help an RVier in trouble. It also allows you to change to channel 9 and contact the authority if a 911 emergency emerges. CB often works in places where you can't get any cellphone services. I think every Motorhome should have a working CB radio. You never know when it will save your life.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio