Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
I use mine mostly when we get into some sort of a traffic jam, to figure out what's going on in front of us.

One of the problems with CB antennas and fiberglass motorhomes, is the antennas usually need a metal ground plane to work. This is why many times you can hear but you can't 'get out', meaning transmit.

There are 'no groundplane' cb antennas you can buy, which work OK. One company is Firestick.

'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have one in both MH and toad. I have it on when traveling and a few times have been able to avoid a backup, but the only time I have really used it was a couple of times when we are traveling in convoy with other RVs. Fix it if you want, but not really a biggie if you don't, unless you plan to participate in caravans.

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Troubleshoot and toss it...

The CB is great if a couple parties are traveling together as the radios work well and no need to worry about cell coverage.

I would make sure to have a working radio as you never know when you might need something, cell phones only work where companies determine they can make a profit, so if you are remote good luck, the cb may not be much help either, but you might get something.

For yours, check the power leads, if they are not connected well then the radio will be dead.

Next check the fuse, oftn the fuse is in a crappy fuse holder that has point contact leads that have caused the solder inside to melt away from the end of the fuse.

Sometimes the person who installed the radio just pulled the wires in and the fuse is hidden under or behind something, it later gets blown out, and the radio dies.

Make sure the ground is good, check from another good source, put the red lead of you volt meter in the center of your lighter and the black lead on the ground or black wire at the radio.

After you have confirmed good 12 volts and ground at the back of the radio and it still is not good, then check out the local truck stop, radio shack and online, there are many choices available depending on your budget, many coaches came with the controls on the mic models to have a clean install, other folks want a full SSB unit, the choice is yours and the cost is not too much.

The antenna is the tricky thing, if the wrong unit was installed or the installation is poor then it will not work as well as it could.

The dealer who sells a good line of radios should be able to walk into your MH and look at what you have and tell you if it is correct and if the install was done well.

They can sell you the correct antenna and install it too if yo do not have what is needed to do the job properly.

Depending on your MH, the antenna and a few other variables the install can be easy or difficult, the tools required may not be common to your tool box, and foil tape or other supplies may be needed.

You may be better off having the dealer perform the install if you feel that they are qualified to do so.(pay attention to how they describe your current install and how they would do it dofferently)
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
I carry a handheld unit. It works for up to a mile but seldom further away. I use it as a tool if I need info from someone or I have any traffic info that I want to send out. In general it is turned off as the language is not helpful to family life!
As a retired truck driver that used CB's for years on end I have learned to take what I hear from others with a grain of salt. Many times the info is leaning towards the truckers personality. If he/she is a nervous nellie the info will tend to be towards the disaster ahead! If he/she is 80MPH on solid ice type of person they will see clear roads ahead! Hopefully you get the picture. i cannot tell you how many times I have taken a detour because of closed roads ahead due to a CB report only to find that traffic was clear or cleared within seconds of the report. Weather reports are always tainted towards what sounds good at the time!

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote