Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Ccc and a little more does what?

I have read on here about CCC and that it is obviously better on an "A" versus a "C". It is one of the downsides of a "C". I also know "officially" it is not recommended. But if a rig was 200 or 300 pounds technically beyond the CCC, what actually is the "risk" concerning only the effect(s) on the rig's operation and parts? Just looking for what you may have heard regarding this issue

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
the problem with CCC, sleeping weights and the like is that they don't break it down by axle and you really want to know the actual weight on each axle.

people in the industry who know have told me there are no "fudge factors" in the GAWR, GVWR and GCWR numbers. the numbers are what the numbers are. but, will the axle collapse if overweight by 200 or 300-lbs? no, but it's not a matter of the axle collapsing. the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes and the like are rated for a certain weight and the more overweight the axle the more unnecessary stress is applied to those components. Steering, braking distances and ride are all negatively affected in an overweight verhicle. I wouldn't knowingly drive any vehicle that was overweight on any axle.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I owned a Class C that had ~2400 lb CCC.

I own a Class A that only has ~1800 lb CCC.

Who'da thought.

That's why I get after my wife about purging all unnecessary items that aren't used daily.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As rk911 says, the wheels don't fall off just because the CCC, or a given axle GAWR, is exceeded by 1 lb. Every extra lb, however, increases wear & tear, stresses parts more, extends braking distance, reduces acceleration, etc. Is there a lot of difference between 100 lb under and 100 lb over? Probably not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #5

CCC hasn't been used for motorized units in almost 10 years. You'll find OCCC now. You should know and understand the differences to be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I have read on here about CCC and that it is obviously better on an "A" versus a "C". It is one of the downsides of a "C". I also know "officially" it is not recommended. But if a rig was 200 or 300 pounds technically beyond the CCC, what actually is the "risk" concerning only the effect(s) on the rig's operation and parts? Just looking for what you may have heard regarding this issue

will not hurt a darn thing but unless you have actually weighed it you will never know in the first place
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #7

Ok, here goes, OCCC is the same as what CCC used to be. In other words, the weight of the rig from the factory with all appliances, plus the fluids (full gas, no propane) is the base number upon which you add "everything else".

And everything else is you, passengers, animals, tongue weight, all tanks (propane, fresh, black and grey) any aftermarket things like solar, inverter, additional batteries, food, clothes, tools, table, bottled water, rug for outfront, chairs, extra BBQ propane tank, blankets, dog food, electronics, and 50 pounds for what I forgot:

The base number and everything else cannot exceed 14500 (or 19500 depending on chassis)) for a class C.

Now, between 14500 (or 19500) and 22000 (not sure what it is on a ford f-550) is the max amount you can tow. Do I have this right?

Since I posted this, I have learned quite a bit. Most Cs have hardly any carrying capacity especially if you must have dual pane windows, a RV ref, decent fresh water tank and room for solar. Thinking of putting some stuff in the toad.

A very interesting read I found here "https://supertransport.net/knowledge-is-power-pricing/". While a little beyond me, the RV information is nothing short of spectacular

Right now I am looking at the class C 30-33 Born Free imperial, (gas), Nexus and Lazydez. They are more expensive but seem to offer more OCCC and build quality unmatched by the factory type manufacturers. I am sure they have their issues too as nothing is perfect.

My biggie is two golden retrievers, 2 and 4 years old, it is hard in the house but they are here to stay! I have decided to rent a rig for a week to see how it goes probably in March or April while the cost is still down. Can go to local campgrounds or even in the driveway to see how it works with the dogs.

Any suggestions, thoughts, experience or comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Daniel
Old 12-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I own a Class A that only has ~1800 lb CCC. Who'da thought. That's why I get after my wife about purging all unnecessary items that aren't used daily.
Our Class A only has 1290 OCCC! Turns out the brochure rating of 2700 was for the BASE model, and every option added at the factory before it left for the dealer's lot ate up weight that I thought was available for us to use.

Because we love the floor plan, once we became educated about the importance of weight management to safe travels, we purged heavily and travel very lightly.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
The base number and everything else cannot exceed 14500 (or 19500 depending on chassis)) for a class C.

Now, between 14500 (or 19500) and 22000 (not sure what it is on a ford f-550) is the max amount you can tow. Do I have this right?
Not sure about what you are trying to say here.....

An RV is going to have a GVWR and a GCWR with is the combined weight of coach and what you tow.

For my Class A gasser, my GVWR is 24k and a 30k GCWR. So there is a 6k difference between the chassis capacity and the combined weight with a tow vehicle, but my hitch is only 5k, so as long as I am under 24k on the coach, I can salefy pull up to 5k. (My jeep, with full gas and 2 bicycles on a Thule rack weighs 4600 per my scale weight this summer).

Now since the 24k chassis and 26k chassis only differ in springs, the 26k chassis also has a 30k GCWR with a 5k hitch, so if you are going to tow anything between 4K and 5k, you have to eat into your Chassis load accordingly. So with my jeep, you could only load the 26k chassis to 25,400.

As for CCC or OCCC, Tiffin puts a very detailed weight sheet on each coach based on how it leaves the factory (my sheet is attached). Note, that I am on the optional 24k chassis on my 31SA vs. the standard 22k. The 2k larger chassis itself weighs ~500#s more so it nets ~1500# more capacity.

My fully loaded weight this summer, which was about as heavy as I ever expect to run, including full fuel, propane, and full fresh water tank, but empty waste tanks was 22.5k, with a very reasonable front / rear weight on each axle.

My guess is that you won't find many gassers with this kind of capacity...............

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	147575  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Ok, here goes, OCCC is the same as what CCC used to be. In other words, the weight of the rig from the factory with all appliances, plus the fluids (full gas, no propane) is the base number upon which you add "everything else".

Right, you shouldn't ever exceed the GVWR, but OCCC is not the same as CCC. They differ by an allowance for occupants and water. For example, my coach has a CCC of 2400 pounds (I forget exactly). If it was a 2014 instead of a 2004, it would have an OCCC of 3760 pounds. Same coach, same GVWR, just 1360 pounds of people and water (4 "people" @ 154 pounds, and 90 gallons of water) in one number, and not in the other. 3760 SOUNDS better than 2400, doesn't it?

And funny that Tiffin still uses CCC on their weight sheet. Is there a OCCC (Fedearly required) sticker too? Must be?
Like this:

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Right, you shouldn't ever exceed the GVWR, but OCCC is not the same as CCC. They differ by an allowance for occupants and water. For example, my coach has a CCC of 2400 pounds (I forget exactly). If it was a 2014 instead of a 2004, it would have an OCCC of 3760 pounds. Same coach, same GVWR, just 1360 pounds of people and water (4 "people" @ 154 pounds, and 90 gallons of water) in one number, and not in the other. 3760 SOUNDS better than 2400, doesn't it?

And funny that Tiffin still uses CCC on their weight sheet. Is there a OCCC (Fedearly required) sticker too? Must be?
Like this:
Nope, the only sticker i have found anywhere is the detailed one I attached. Makes it easier to me, you see all the relevant numbers, so really no confusion as to what's what...... If you want OCCC just back out the relevant numbers which would put me about 4,800#s if I am looking at your calculation correctly.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ok, here goes, OCCC is the same as what CCC used to be.
Wrong! OCCC is very close to what NCC used to be, but very different than CCC. But your description of OCCC is pretty close. OCCC includes full propane tanks in the base weight, whereas NCC did not and you had to add it in as "cargo".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #13

The fact such a simple concept and basic math is so difficult to figure out raises red flags all over the place. Add to that how difficult the numbers are to find BEFORE you buy makes it a downright daunting process. Just look at all the responses since my last question! And I thought the law had confusing terminology.

Perhaps someone can tell me what the weight of the rig is called in 2016 when it, after being completely built, leaves the factory? If this weight also includes any fluids can you identify specifically what fluids it must include?

Next question is can or must a manufacturer tell you what that above weight will be BEFORE you order the vehicle? Seems like such a simple and basic question you need to know, no? The last thing you would want is to be like one of the responders here who believed a particular weight of the rig only to find out AFTER she purchased it, the options selected "added" to that weight thereby reducing her carrying capacity.

Recently, I inquired about the weight of a rig with certain options with an unnamed manufacture as it would leave the factory only to be told "they don't know that weight because they are not set up that way". The suggestion was "to contact a dealer who had already ordered that particular rig with those specific options". Are they kidding? The other advise was to get an "A" instead of a "C" because they have more carrying capacity!

Wow, this is a real problem as far as I am concerned. The dirty little secret. What do you think?

Daniel
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
The fact such a simple concept and basic math is so difficult to figure out raises red flags all over the place. Add to that how difficult the numbers are to find BEFORE you buy makes it a downright daunting process. Just look at all the responses since my last question! And I thought the law had confusing terminology.

Perhaps someone can tell me what the weight of the rig is called in 2016 when it, after being completely built, leaves the factory? If this weight also includes any fluids can you identify specifically what fluids it must include?

Next question is can or must a manufacturer tell you what that above weight will be BEFORE you order the vehicle? Seems like such a simple and basic question you need to know, no? The last thing you would want is to be like one of the responders here who believed a particular weight of the rig only to find out AFTER she purchased it, the options selected "added" to that weight thereby reducing her carrying capacity.

Recently, I inquired about the weight of a rig with certain options with an unnamed manufacture as it would leave the factory only to be told "they don't know that weight because they are not set up that way". The suggestion was "to contact a dealer who had already ordered that particular rig with those specific options". Are they kidding? The other advise was to get an "A" instead of a "C" because they have more carrying capacity!

Wow, this is a real problem as far as I am concerned. The dirty little secret. What do you think?
CCC, OCCC, NCC...all worthless in my opinion cuz it's not broken down by axle. KISS...insist on taking the MH to a scale pre-purchase and get individual axle weights. the calculate the additional weight of full fuel, water and LP tanks on the appropriate axle (usually the rear), subtract the pre-purchase (or empty weight) from the actual axle weights and you have your axle payload. done.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote