Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ceiling Carpet Stains

Any suggestions on removing carpet stains around the ceiling of the shower, possibly from moisture over a period of time ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

I mixed up some OxyClean and water and dabbed it on the ceiling. Then just a little rubbing and wait. I used the upholstery wand on carpet cleaner to rinse it out. Did a great job. Some have suggested bleach but I'm always leery about using bleach since it can remove the color from the fabric.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #3

Carpet in the shower ceiling?? What were they thinking? Try Mr. Clean magic eraser.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
wife used bleach mixed with water. used a small paint roller let it sit and then did again
came out great
Old 10-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on oxyclean.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

How are the rest of the carpets both ceiling and floor. If they could all use a good cleaning call a professional portable carpet cleaning co, We did this at a state parks we were hosting at in Idaho and he wound doing several other hosts rigs at the same time so the cost to all was less. One of the other hosts had water stains on their ceilings and they turned out great.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
X2 on oxyclean.
Make that x3-- put some on a clean white rag, blot it on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, blot it off. It may take several applications, but it worked great for me.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

I've been wondering how to get that off.

Thanks for asking the question, and to those who shared their solutions.

Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

On floor carpet, and besides using a professional service comapny,,, What works best for stubborn stains?

In my ultimate wisdom , i left the protective plastic covering some of the high traffic areas down for about 4 or 5 years. When i finally took it up, it left black adhesive in the carpet. Tried the can carpet spray but that didn't do a whole lot. Any ideas what to use to clean this up?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
On floor carpet, and besides using a professional service comapny,,, What works best for stubborn stains?

In my ultimate wisdom , i left the protective plastic covering some of the high traffic areas down for about 4 or 5 years. When i finally took it up, it left black adhesive in the carpet. Tried the can carpet spray but that didn't do a whole lot. Any ideas what to use to clean this up?
I've been doing this for a living with my own company for over 27 years.

We've done many a large boat where the dealer left that stuff down for way too long.

Head down to your favorite home store and get some Xylene, it's by the paint thinners. Put some on a rag and start wiping. It will come off. Follow it up with a carpet machine or get a spray bottle with water and get it wet then suck up with a shop vac.

Ventilation is your friend so open some windows and turn on a fan. Some people are more sensitive to the odor then others.

Xlene is the main ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover.

**Always Test Any Advice From An Internet Forum In An Inconspicuous Spot First To Be Sure It Won't Damage Anything**
Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
tcg

Here is some headliner from a couple big boats. These came down to if I couldn't get them clean they were going to be replaced.

Keep in mind I've been doing this for 27 years and I know which material you can and can not use bleach on. I've literally cleaned more than 20,000 boats in the last 27 years so I have a little experience. We also detail them as well as carpet and upholstery cleaning.

Trust me when I tell you it's pretty stressful pulling out a spray bottle with a bleach solution. All the fabric around must be masked off and if I screw up my insurance company will not be happy, I have a 3 million dollar policy.

I've never put in a claim.

Oxyclean will work on some water stains and so will any citrus based cleaner. Headliners are tricky because using a hot water extractor will sometimes cause the material to separate from the ceiling or bulkhead.

When that fails I use Tilex or any generic mold and mildew cleaner with bleach. You can use bleach and water but I've found Tilex to be the right mixture.

Spraying it over your head in an enclosed area will also screw with your lungs so be careful

Also, available at your favorite home store is a product called Folex. It's some amazing stuff and rarely do I need to use another spot remover. If Folex won't remove it you may just own the stain or it's time to call a pro.

All that being said here is some of my handy work.

The last photo is a carpet in progress that I tossed in just to show off. There were several inches of sea water in there for more than a week. A very mild bleach solution was used in parts. Problem with bleach on a carpet is it will turn the carpet a pretty shade of orange if you're not careful.

Also, you ain't lived until you clean a boat that's had a family of raccoons living under the shrink wrap for an entire winter.

Sorry to go a little off topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	140837   Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner_2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	140838  

Name:	hatch_01.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	140839   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch_02.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	140840  

Name:	carpet_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	140841  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I've been doing this for a living with my own company for over 27 years.

We've done many a large boat where the dealer left that stuff down for way too long.

Head down to your favorite home store and get some Xylene, it's by the paint thinners. Put some on a rag and start wiping. It will come off. Follow it up with a carpet machine or get a spray bottle with water and get it wet then suck up with a shop vac.

Ventilation is your friend so open some windows and turn on a fan. Some people are more sensitive to the odor then others.

Xlene is the main ingredient in 3M Adhesive Remover.

**Always Test Any Advice From An Internet Forum In An Inconspicuous Spot First To Be Sure It Won't Damage Anything**
Thanks so much for the advice. I will try the Xylene and then rent a carpet cleaning machine to clean everything up.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

Why not a professional carpet cleaner? The previous owner of our MH left the plastic on also. Mobile cleaner did the whole coach for $75

Tags
carpet, ceiling