Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Cell phone antenna mounting: Is there a magnet mount "stub" available somewhere?

So they sell lots of cell phone antennas with magnet mounts, unfortunately they all seem to come with short cables, no longer than 15 feet. I'm thinking I'll need 25-30' of cable, which only comes with rod/bracket mount antennas.

I don't want to drill holes in the roof, and I don't want extra connectors that require weatherproofing and introduce losses.

I've seen where people glue a metal plate to the roof that will both act as ground plane on the fiberglass roof, and as a place to stick the magnet mount to.

What I was hoping to find is a sort of "stub" magnet mount, just a strong magnet bolted to an L shaped steel bracket, or maybe just a short (3" to 4" would do) section of pole/bar/rod sticking up.

Doesn't seem like I'm the only one who has encountered this. Anyone have sources/ideas/alternatives?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Sigh. No sooner do I git up and then post...

...and I happen across these:

Adjustable Locking Magnetic Base - ALMB - Larson Electronics

Magnetic Base for HL-8X, HL-8X-HID, RUL-8X and RUL-8X-HID Spotlights - Larson Electronics

I can probably make one of those work.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From a technical perspective, cell phones use multiple bands these days with very low power. - a major challenge for an external antenna. It is not a great idea for a variety of reasons hence the reason few are on the market. The single band cell service with towers great distances apart of many years ago was a different story. I'm surprised you feel you need one as tower coverage in most areas these days is excellent and today's handsets are extremely efficient with low signal levels in rural areas. Think you will also have diffuculty finding one with an external antenna connector. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

You don't say exactly how you plan to connect the antenna to your cell phone, but you might search online for the Wilson Sleek amplifier and antenna. We have used the model for the Verizon 4G system to increase marginal contacts so we have good internet data connections. Wilson also makes other amplifier and antenna systems.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
From a technical perspective, cell phones use multiple bands these days with very low power. - a major challenge for an external antenna. It is not a great idea for a variety of reasons hence the reason few are on the market. The single band cell service with towers great distances apart of many years ago was a different story. I'm surprised you feel you need one as tower coverage in most areas these days is excellent and today's handsets are extremely efficient with low signal levels in rural areas. Think you will also have diffuculty finding one with an external antenna connector. Good luck,
It's actually for the mifi hotspot. There are dual antenna connectors on it. I need the data connection as it will be my fallback internet connection if I can't pick up wifi somewhere (which sounds like it'll be most of the time)

The phone connects to the wifi so it just goes along for the ride.

The only serious down side is $200/month for 16GB data plan :\

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
You don't say exactly how you plan to connect the antenna to your cell phone, but you might search online for the Wilson Sleek amplifier and antenna. We have used the model for the Verizon 4G system to increase marginal contacts so we have good internet data connections. Wilson also makes other amplifier and antenna systems.
Yeah I looked at those, sounds like they generate heat.

The antenna is actually for the mifi hotspot, a Netgear AC791L. As long as I have an internet connection via that, I can do video conferencing via Zoom, and phone calls using Cisco Jabber (for work) or Skype (for personal) or using my smart phone.

I should have been more clear and said data connection....it's like that time they thought I said 10" pianist and...
Old 09-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Mifi. 2.4 GHZ or 5 G. ? Not cell phone? Why are you jerking our chain? Go to eBay . Omni directional 2.4 Ghz antennas with gain above 1.1 dBm above a wet noodle are a dime a dozen. So are retransmitters or range extenders.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP is looking for an external antenna for a Jetpack / MiFi data device. Cellular connection and provides a WiFi local network. I have one by a Verizon with a external magnet mount antenna mounted to a metal plate on the rear roof with the cable coming down the ladder, under the rear cap, and enters a storage compartment, then into a rear closet where the jetpack / MiFi resides. 20g/month for about $100.00. Use it when CG WiFi is not available or of such low quality to be unusable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Look for the truckers antenna, works great with a Mifi unit.
Just need the adapter to plug into one of the Mifi's inputs.
I can't find the link right now.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
Mifi. 2.4 GHZ or 5 G. ? Not cell phone? Why are you jerking our chain? Go to eBay . Omni directional 2.4 Ghz antennas with gain above 1.1 dBm above a wet noodle are a dime a dozen. So are retransmitters or range extenders.
Not jerking anyone's chain. I was asking just about antenna mounts, not about antennas or phones.

This is what I'm looking at:

12dB Fiberglass 4G LTE XLTE Antenna w/50ft Coax Verizon NETGEAR AC791L

They sell a magnet mount version, but they only have 15' of cable with the magnet mount, and I want to mount the antennas far forward to stay out of the way of solar panels to come. Only 15' would require coax to extend, which probably requires a weatherproof junction box for the connector and just too much hassle/signal loss to mess with.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar08 View Post
Look for the truckers antenna, works great with a Mifi unit.
Just need the adapter to plug into one of the Mifi's inputs.
I can't find the link right now.
Thanks, I've already got the antenna (I think)

I was just looking for a way to mount it without poking any holes in the roof. Magnet mount seems like the best way to go, seems like just gluing down a bit of thin steel plate and sticking the antenna to that should work reasonably well, and if I have to reposition it due to EM interference from something, it's not too traumatic.

Not too traumatic other than the image of me having to haul my fat arse up onto the roof of the beast...perhaps I should install a crane...
Old 09-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
Thanks, I've already got the antenna (I think)

I was just looking for a way to mount it without poking any holes in the roof. Magnet mount seems like the best way to go, seems like just gluing down a bit of thin steel plate and sticking the antenna to that should work reasonably well, and if I have to reposition it due to EM interference from something, it's not too traumatic.

Not too traumatic other than the image of me having to haul my fat arse up onto the roof of the beast...perhaps I should install a crane...
That's a 24" solid antenna. It will get hit by trees and stuff and has no give. That it has LMR 400 cable is good for low loss, but it's large and stiff for routing through a MH. Not an antenna I would use, IMHO.

The antenna I described is flexible and about 18" tall. About 15' of LMR 600 similar cable (smaller and more flexible) which reaches inside as I described.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

First let me apologize for the harsh tone of my earlier comment. Mr. vsheetz is correct, a roof mounted antenna without some spring or flex mounting is waiting for an argument with a tree limb. If it was magnet mounted, the magnet might give way before anything broke. But then thou have an antenna rolling around on the roof. You might consider rethinking equipment placement. The gain you get from that 12 db antenna is quickly lost in the 50 foot coax cable. If you are mounting the WiFi at the rear, the rear ladder is a possible antenna mount, if you don't plan to use the mifi on the road, we have used a small antenna that sticks onto a steel bolt in the awning rail, with a short cable coming inside the passenger window.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The OP is looking for an external antenna for a Jetpack / MiFi data device. Cellular connection and provides a WiFi local network. I have one by a Verizon with a external magnet mount antenna mounted to a metal plate on the rear roof with the cable coming down the ladder, under the rear cap, and enters a storage compartment, then into a rear closet where the jetpack / MiFi resides. 20g/month for about $100.00. Use it when CG WiFi is not available or of such low quality to be unusable.
I was only asking if there was a mount, not looking for an antenna. I wanted just a magnetic base I could bolt the angle/pole mount to.

The only magnet mounts I could find all only had 15' cable. I want the jetpack (Netgear AC791L) to be near the middle of a 40' coach, and I want the antennas at the front, out of the way of solar panels. I work from home and I'm going to be full time in the coach, so I need the best connections I can get.

I think the 16GB plan should handle most of my work-related internet use so I plan to use it as primary, but I'm also mounting a Wifi Ranger flat pack antenna so I can get solid wifi connections if/when they're available.

Considering that I no longer have a $60/mo DSL bill, I figure an extra $60/mo on the phone bill is a fair trade, especially given the generally very high performance I get out of the data connection.

Thanks!

Tags
antenna