Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Adding the CB's and removing original weights or not is your choice. Only one caution as explained to me by their rep. If your current tires required a bunch of weights then the CB's may not have enough in them to correct the imbalance.

I know, what it, "A bunch of weights?". That's a great question and here's what I'd do. Head over to a truck shop that has your brand of tires and ask the balance technician. They will know what is considered an inordinate amount of weights. Any tire can be balanced but when some require a lot of weight it's best to get a different tire from the stack.

Also the balancer company should give you an idea of what their product can and can't do. They told me if the tires had been computer balanced recently it didn't matter just to leave the weights on. I had tried the balance powder on the fronts so my weights were gone. When I added the CB's I took the weights off the rears, and removed the powder.

We've probably put 10,000 miles on since the CB's were added and all is just fine.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to sc300turbo
I just had my fronts re balanced... there was like 2.5oz on each rim...not bad at all..i also got an alignment done that made a vast improvement... I'm getting a television shake on the front tv between 65 and 70 that's driving me nuts....its not horrid but enough to bother me.....

tejay... did you feel a difference from static.....to beads...to CB?...

Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #31

Last summer bought the Itasca with 27K on the clock and it had a front balance shimmy at around 55-62. Took it to one shop that didn't do a very good job so took it to local Michelin dealer to talk to them. They suggested centramatics and after spending time talking with them decided to give it a shot. Several short, few hundred mile trips and a 7K trip last fall on all kinds of roads and they drive nice.

We have a 12-15000 mile trip this summer so shocks go on before that trip. looking at Bilstein or Koni. Sachs are the stock and original ones.

EDIT; I have the IFS and with that front suspension the centramatic won't go between the wheel and hub and they have an application that goes outside the hub held in place with half the lug nuts and is polished stainless steel. Look real nice.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
sc300eurbo,

We picked up the MH at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City Iowa. It is located 1 mile from the WBGO factory. I was as usual an idiot and didn't notice (or ignored) a slight pull (lead) to the right as I drove. I did as most did and just did not think to much about it. We did drive the RV about 50 miles before we signed for it.

Our trip home was 600 miles and it pulled towards the ditches all the way. Other than that the ride was good. I also did the CHF both front and rear in the CG before we started the drive home.

After we got home I called Ford and made an appointment with an alignment shop but that was 2 -weeks away. So I went to a GY store about the pull. The SM looked at the tire and saw nothing out of the ordinary. They have to see something before they will authorize a new tire. I believe it was at that time that he recommended the balance beads/sand. The tires were off the MH but he only put sand in the fronts (smartest move I did).

When I got home first I rechecked the tire pressures. The very first time I put the tire gauge on the stem, pushed it in released it and immediately the sand plugged the valve and the valve started leaking. I then realized how stupid I was to use the sand. No they did not put the special stems on which they say won't leak but I thought, YEA, all they have to do is leak once and the tire is toast. They also tell you that when you check the pressures try to have the stem at the top of the tire. Now tell me how well is that going to work???

I put the 2 front tires back on but swapped them R to L. When I took it for a drive the pull was gone. The tires did not seem to have any balance issues either but I knew I was not going to keep that stuff in there. I had my alignment appointment so I took it in.

On the trip it did not pull and the balance was good but it was only a 15 mile trip. The tech put the rig on the machine and immediately checked tire pressure. That's always the first step in any alignment. He did as I did and immediately turned to me and said. "The first thing I'd do is get that Damn sand out of your tires and put it back in the drive where they got it." He knew within 3 seconds it had balance sand in the tires.

He did the alignment and corrected ALL the angles. He even bent the front axles with the hydraulic jacks. That was an impressive feat to say the least. I watched him the entire time.

Drove home and knew I wanted the sand out. Took the RV to Wing Foot which is a GY semi truck shop. Those guys know what they are doing. The took the sand out and computer balanced all 6 tires. When I asked him about the tire that pulled he put them back to their original position but took that tire off the rim and rotated it (inside out outside in). He said if it pulled he'd replace the tire. Drove home and all was well. It's been fine ever since. I have also rotated the tires R to L and the pull never came back. In the tire industry it was called a Radial pull and is often corrected by swapping R to L. That changes the tire rotation also.

Now the MH has all tires computer balanced and driving fine. I still wanted the new balancers because I did not want to go through having them balanced as they began to wear. I got them a few months later, removed all the weights and all is still doing fine. Still like the idea of completely balancing the entire wheel/hub assembly.

Because of the cost I thought about only getting them for the fronts first. Then I realized that if the rear tires are not balanced it's more difficult to determine and it will cause wear issues.

TeJay
Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to sc300turbo
thank you for all the great info......ill admit I kind of neglected the rear....I think I need to order for both axles and go from there.... think I'm going to try to mock up a rear trac bar too
Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I am close to the Centramatics home office and had them install the ones I have on the front, they pulled all the weights off mine...

thanks for bringing this up, forgot about the rears and been meaning to run down there and get the rears and tag done...
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
sc300turbo,

Have you seen this thread??

Track Bar for F-53 Chassis Homebuilt

That should help with your rear TB (track bar) build. Mine now has 10,000 miles or more with no issues.

On this thread I did make some changes to the original design which you may want to incorporate. Go to page #10 post #131 to see how it was modified to reduce the ARC effect.

TeJay