Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #1

my 96 safari mh has a cheap fabric short about
16' awning can i change the awning rail to allow a longer awning?

i know i can change the bottom mount
just not sure on the top rail that holds the awning to mh side of roof, bill

ham call kk6dm
duner bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #2

just not sure on the top rail that holds the awning to mh side of roof, bill

ham call kk6dm
Old 01-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the awning rail is shorter than you would like, you can add the same style to the exsisting one to change the toatl length. Be sure the bottom brackets will not interfer with any compartment doors and the lentgh of the new awning will be measured from center of bottom bracket to center of other.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #4

On my most recent trip I discovered the joint between awning rail sections can be a source of leaks during a heavy rain, so some sealant is advised at the joint after the awning is installed. I say "after" so the sealant does not interfere with the installation of the awning.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duner bill:

just not sure on the top rail that holds the awning to mh side of roof, bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

What brand of awning are we talking about? AE from Dometic claims that their hardware mounts are made to be universal so if you have one of their awnings you may be able to just order the extension for the top rail, the new awning fabric/roller assembly and reuse the rest if they are in good condition.

The AE fabric is acrylic and considered their best by some while the vinyl are at the bottom of the line.

I am making the same consideration on my 95 Vectra. It has a 16 foot AE Acrylic awning however the awning rail already runs from the back of the copilots window to the rear cap so I should just be able to order the longer roller and fabric if I have been correctly informed. Then I would only have to relocate the rear arm and patch up the two holes from the old base plate location.

I will have to price it out and see if this years budget will allow for it.

Whatever you do play it safe as the clock springs on the rollers can pack quite a punch.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #6

yea but is it really water proof?
it appears to be fabric is it treated?
its hard to see how vinyl is at the bottom of th eline ? not only is my awning to short
it just does not look to be very water proof
the past new vinyls ive had appear to withstand water better

bill

ham call kk6dm
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duner bill:
yea but is it really water proof?
it appears to be fabric is it treated?
its hard to see how vinyl is at the bottom of th eline ? not only is my awning to short
it just does not look to be very water proof
the past new vinyls ive had appear to withstand water better

bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

The withstanding of water is subject to how a fabric awning is used and maintained. Do somthing that would remove the water seal or cause wicking and you could get some drips here and there. Mine is ten years old and although I have only owned it for about a month and one half I have not had any real problems aside from the original repairs to the ten year old handles that were abused and the desire for a larger size.

Here is a link to the booklett on mine:

http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/OS2040Elite9000.pdf

Operating instructions:

http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/3103435.008.pdf

Care and cleaning:

http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/Awnings.pdf

http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/drdAwnings.pdf

Look things over and go with whatever works best for you.

I am most likely going to live with mine for a while and concentrate on sealing over the freshly caulked roof seams with everbond tape, cleaning up the oxidation on the fiberglass and getting a good polymer sealer such as poly-glow applied to help cut down on the exterior maintenance.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #8

i just ordered protect all for fiberglass roofs

ham call kk6dm