Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #1

I want to do my own oil and filter changes. I've purchased an oil drain plug with a shutoff valve so that I can cut the flow of oil off when my drain bucket starts to get full. However, I have a dilema on the first oil change. The largest bucket I have is 5 gals. and the engine holds just over 6 gals. Of course, I could use the old finger in the dike trick, but that seems like it could get pretty messy. Any suggestions?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #2

I want to do my own oil and filter changes. I've purchased an oil drain plug with a shutoff valve so that I can cut the flow of oil off when my drain bucket starts to get full. However, I have a dilema on the first oil change. The largest bucket I have is 5 gals. and the engine holds just over 6 gals. Of course, I could use the old finger in the dike trick, but that seems like it could get pretty messy. Any suggestions?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, buy a second catch pan. You don't want to fill the first one full, it's to hard to handle if it is completely full. I let the first pan fill up half way then push it out of the way and slide the second pan under the drain. I only spill a very small amount of oil with this procedure.

Also, you are braver than me, I'm afraid to use a drain plug with a valve.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #4

Gaines, my unit has two drain plugs, one is about 4" higher than the second plug. After draining the higher plug, change buckets. If your unit does not have two plugs then as suggested use two buckets and swap 1/2 full.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Fumoto shutoff valve and simply put the used oil right back into gallon containers. I line them up next to the outlet and it takes only a blink of an eye to snap the valve closed, push the full gallon out of the way, slide the next empty in and flip the valve back open. Maybe I'm fortunate that the height of the valve outlet is just where I need it to be relative to the necks of the gallon jugs. On windy days, I do have a small, very wide mouth funnel. I lift the MH on the jacks just an inch and the funnel protects the oil from being blown away from the jug's mouth.

While I'm lying underneath, I check chassis & engine fastener tightness with a torque wrench, electrical connections, etc. It works out pretty efficiently. By the time all 4 gallons have drained, I have all of the other items done, too.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #6

The valve I got is also the Fumoto, but I was looking for ways to drain the oil the first time so I can install the valve. Str8Shooter, the Fumoto is pretty much fool-proof. The valve lever sits in a notch when it's closed and I don't seen anyway for it to open by itself. I hope I am lucky enough for my oil pan to have two plugs like Woody's does. If not, sounds like the best way is to use two 5 gal buckets and switch them quickly when the first one gets a little over half full. Thanks for all of the tips.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a suggestion which may not work for you or it may be messy.
If you are careful you can unscrew the bung on the pan to almost the last thread - go very slowly. Have the Fumoto in your other hand. Applying pressure to the bung continue to unscrew it until you hear/feel the threads clicking. This means that you've backed it out as far as it can go. Inch the Fumoto up to beside the bung and very quickly remove the bung and place the Fumoton in the bung hole. As soon as its in there, keeping pressure on it, the flow of oil will stop. Risky but, it works. I know becasue I did it on my CAT. I don't think that I lost more than a tablespoon of oil during the switch. As I said, its a bit risky but .....
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote