Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Agree to the taste of using charcoal. Hard to beat the convenience of using propane especially with the spliter we have on our on board propane tank (don't have to carry cylinders which is nice).

luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charcoal for taste and the big thing is CLEAN UP. On a charcoal grill you throw away the ashes and all the dropping after each use, start a new fire and wire brush the grill when it gets hot, that's it. With a gas grill all the crap stays in the grill and you have a big mess and flaring up. There is nothing worse than cleaning THE INSIDE OF A GAS GRILL.

Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Charcoal for meat- gas just isn't HOT enough to really sear a steak.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Well RVer,s I just picked up the Aussie Charcoal grill, I will also have a portable gas grill just in-case. With this weather about to break this weekend here on the east coast, we will be taking the MH to it's resting place in NJ sometime in April. Thanks for all the in-put and happy camping this yr. & be safe. Joe, Kathy, Grand Daughter Kaitlin, and are little Miniture Dashound- Snickers
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Higher priced propane grills have "Flavorizer" bars that create smoke that gives the food the BBQ flavor.

Amazon.com: flavorizer bars
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Charcoal and hickory logs. If I use gas, it's a pan on the stovetop.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
When we lived in FL we had a rather large Oak tree in the backyard that we used in the grill. Then we moved to MI and when we bought the property it had some Oak trees and Apple trees so we would then add the Apple with the Oak. Mmmmm some real good smoking and grill there. Nothing beats real wood for smoking.

Here's the what we used in the drip pan for chicken or turkey or whatever meat smoking:
Get a large pan like for cooking a turkey in. Take a large bottle and fill it half way with Spiced Rum and the rest with water. Put in several cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and nutmeg. Shake that up and then pour into the pan. Put that under what meat you are smoking and keep it filled while smoking. Smoke the meat at a temp between 200 and 250 degrees.
Yes a turkey will take awhile but OMG the taste!!
Oh once after smoking a chicken we had forgotten to put some tator tots in the oven so instead we put them on the grill to smoke for about 20 mins or so .... talk about something that turned out WAY better than you thought it might.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wood or charcoal for grilling.

Tried gas once, gave the grill away. Gas is for a stove not a grill. Back to a Weber.

Thought it would be nice since our rig has a valve and 10' of gas hose on the curb side. Just wasn't the same as grilling with charcoal.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #23
Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Propane because my kids and the DW are impatient. Have a weber charcoal when I have time, nothing like 2 or 3 beers while waiting for the coals to be ready!
Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS
But always looking for the next RV
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #24
A Big Streel Keg is always on the back of my MH. Charcoal , lump not briquettes , there is a difference and NO lighter fluid. The BSK is a stainless steel Komodo style grill that comes with a receiver hitch adapter, I built a double receiver so it sits in the top and the ball hitch sits in the bottom. We take it with whatever we tow, Jeep, golf cart, DW car on the tow dolly, or just the bicycle rack. It doesn't interfere with any of them. Sometimes if I'm lazy, ill cook with it still in the receiver but most of the time I remove it from the receiver and put it on its wheeled base. I can remove it by myself but its easier with an extra pair of hands. BSK was bought out by Char grill who then started making the Acorn grill you see at Lowes, it's a little smaller than the BSK and lighter, I wish they made a receiver hitch adapter for it, I would buy one just for the smaller size and convenience . Get the grill up to 600+ degrees, 3 minutes per side and you have a perfect steak every time! You can't do that with gas.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
In the MH I keep one of each. Weber makes a small take it anywhere grill in gas and coal. I use the coal whenever possible and the gas when in fire restricted areas. In windy sites the coal works even better.
Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The flavorizer will not give you the charcoal taste.

Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote