Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #1

How many volts should I be seeing when running the generator to charge the batterys. I seem to have about 12.5 this seems low to me. When I run the engine I am getting 14.5 which seems to about right. This is a new unit onan 7000.

Thanks
Ken
mooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #2

How many volts should I be seeing when running the generator to charge the batterys. I seem to have about 12.5 this seems low to me. When I run the engine I am getting 14.5 which seems to about right. This is a new unit onan 7000.

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #3

When you say, "the batteries" I assume you mean the house batteries (two 12V batteries in parallel or two 6V batteries in series) as apposed to the single chassis battery. Are you measuring the voltage on the house batteries or the chassis battery? Do you have a "trickle charger" connected between the house batteries and the chassis battery? I guess I don't understand how the voltage increases on the house batteries when you run the engine?

More information is needed.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #4

Good Evening
I am talking about the house batterys, I do not have any trickle charger hooked up. My question is " what kind of voltage should I get with the generator running. With the engine running I am getting 14.5 volts which I think is correct. The problem was this past week I had the batterys drop down below 12 volts as I was not able to get any shore power and ran the generator for about 1 hour in the am to cook outside and noticed that the batterys were still not up to 12 volts.

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mooner1:
Good Evening
I am talking about the house batterys, I do not have any trickle charger hooked up. My question is " what kind of voltage should I get with the generator running. With the engine running I am getting 14.5 volts which I think is correct. The problem was this past week I had the batterys drop down below 12 volts as I was not able to get any shore power and ran the generator for about 1 hour in the am to cook outside and noticed that the batterys were still not up to 12 volts.

Thanks
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The generator does not charge the batteries. The 120 volt output either goes to a Inverter/Charger or some other form of charger. The rate of charging will be dependent upon the chargers rating. Engine alternators in many cases have much more charging capability than either the inverter charger or others. Therefore, the engine will charge up batteries much faster. Newer more expensive Inverter/chargers are coming with higher amp capacvity and thus closing time gap on alternmators.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ken, you should be seeing a voltage of about 13.8 coming from the charger. If not you need to find out why. Did you have 120 volt inside; like microwave or air conditioner running? If so the transfer switch is working. If not do you by chance have just a receptacle in the compartment the cord should plug into. Check the circuit breaker on generator. Check the circuit breaker in the 120 volt distribution panel. If it is a free standing charger make sure you have 120 volts at the receptacle the charger plugs into. If you have 120 volt going into the charger and nothing coming out (no increase from what the battereis already have) check fuses on back of charger. If those a re good then you have a bad charger. Good luck and give us some more info so we can be of better help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ken- Go to www.lslproducts.com and look at the Ultra-trik-L-start unit. It sells for about $54(shipping included) and it will do the job to keep the chassis battery charged as long as the house batteries are being charged (regardless of the charging source). It requires no switching on or off, no un-pluging, etc-- its a cool unit!! Good luck, Max H
Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #8

"The generator does not charge the batteries. The 120 volt output either goes to a Inverter/Charger or some other form of charger". -Ecker

Is this really true, Ecker? I thought that running the generator would charge the house batteries when it is running? Hmmm.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #9

Jasonm, this is true. Also the converter in most applications supplies the 12 volts for the house lights and accessories and this is the current that charges only the house battery. The engine battery is not charged by the converter unless the transfer switch or boost switch is thrown. He needs to check the house battery voltage also when connected to shore power. He should see better than 12.75 volts. The voltage seen at the battery can be affected by what 12 volt accessories are on in the unit.

1990 Foretravel
Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #10

So how do the house batteries get charged? From when plugged into shore power? Running down the road? Both, I'd assume. I thought that the generator helped. hmmm. You never stop learning.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure about all set ups but, my generator charges the house batteries. In fact, one of the settings on the auto gen start is for battery voltage at 12.4 volts. If they go that low, the gen kicks on and charges the batteries.

I do know that the generator will not charge the chassis batteries. I have also read on this forum that plugging into shore power will not charge the chassis batteries.

Some coaches are set up to charge the chassis batteries from shore or generator power. Some have put in the battery minder product to make sure.

Ecker knows his stuff so maybe I have it wrong or there is s misunderstanding in the posts.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #12

I think what the knowledgeable people are saying is that the Generator does not directly charge the house batteries, The generator sends power to the inverter/converter/charger which in turn charges the batteries. Is this double speak??? s/Toby
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmars have a bi-directional relay that allows the engine alternator or the inverter to charge the house batteries.

Scott, even though our generators may have the capability to charge the batteries, I believe Newmar uses the inverter for battery charging on all diesels, and maybe gassers also.

I think the low voltage gen start is just that, a signal to start the gen and supply power to the inverter to charge the batteries.

Your inverter display should indicate the battery charging status.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I'm pretty sure I understand how the HOUSE batteries get charged, either by shore power, generator or alternator if engine is running. However, not by solar panel.

My question wasn't asked very well. What are the ways the CHASSIS batteries get charged?

What I understand right now, the CHASSIS batteries are charged by:

Alternator & Solar Panel directly.

Generator and Shore Power through the converter (only after house batts are full), via the bi-directional relay.

If this is true, I shouldn't need a battery minder if I plug in all winter.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote