Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Charging house batteries

I know there are many thread pertaining to what i think i need to find out but i have a couple of wrinkles that can't find answer to.
So firs off i have a 2016 Jayco Precept 31ul for a coach. It has 2 12v batteries which I just replaced over the weekend. I want to do a better job of maintenance on batteries this time around. Think the brand of batteries was part of the problem but I know i ran them down to far at times. Never got them dry always checked the water etc.
So the coach has a Xantrex Pro 1000 w inverter from factory. Looking at the books it appears Xantrex has charging as part of the inverter. There is a remote Xantrex panel inside coach hich reads out volt of battery etc but does not show anything about charging. I've looked in the compartment where the house batteries are which is same compartment as propane tank for the rv is . They are in a pull out drawer. Back inside that compartment i do not see anything that looks like a charging module so I dont know if the only charging is from the alternator or what. The first year we did a lot of short trips stayed in parks had no trouble. 2017 my father in law got sick so we didn't use the rv as much and spent s acouple of weeks at son inlaws house wher ebatteries got drained very deep a few times.

2. We don't boon dock hardly at all. So not looking to add more batteries or a roof full of solar panels. Our storage area for the rv does not have power so was thinking of a portable solar panel that could trickle charge the batteries of that i could hook up once a week to top them off.

3. When in a campground hooked to shore power should the inverter be off or not. And does the inverter charge the house batteries while connected to shore power? Also I've seen comments about 3 stage charging, good deal or not

4. Finally a standard trickle charger or a suitcase type solar charger . Recommendations on brand watts and if i really need mono-crystalline panel or not. If i do go the suitcase solar route it would travel with us for times where we are not connected. I've looked at battery tender 10w brand up to a couple 200w suitcase panels on amazon just dont know what i need

Thanks to all replies I appreciate your help. john
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #2

I looked at the Pro-watt and the Pro Sine inverters. They don't have charging built in.

There may be a model with charging or you may have a seperate converter/charger.

I'm sure you have some kind of onboard charging otherwise your lights would have gone out while plugged in.

When storing the MH turn off the inverter and battery disconnect switch. When on shore power or generator make sure the battery disconnect is on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

I think you need to look for something else that is ( or may be) charging the batteries. I too have a Xantrek inverter used to power my TV, and no it does not charge the batteries. You need to look for your power CONVERTER which would be used to convert 110 power to 12v for charging purposes and to thus to feed the 12v system while plugged in. It will most likely be a smallish box with perhaps PD92xx for Progressive Dynamics on the faceplate.

The inverter does not need to be off while connected to shore power, but it is not required to be on either. In my case there is an additional box by the inverter that switches between the 110 source ( if present ) or output from inverter. You may have one of these also.

You will want to turn the inverter OFF while in storage or not being used, as well as perhaps the house battery disconnect switch (assume you have one) to reduce the chance that they will drain. Some RV’s will NOT charge the house batteries even if plugged in if the disconnect switch is active.

The inverter would not be charging the batteries, that would be the job of the converter. Your owners manual should indicate if your house batteries are being charged while plugged in. Some do, some don’t.

I have no clue on what solar equipment or size you would need.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries