Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #15

In addition to YC1's suggestion, there may be a set of fuses in the battery control Center that fuse the line from the house batteries to the chassis battery. I had a similar problem, and after much head scratching and lots of reading here on the form, it boiled down to the solenoid or a fuse. It turned out that someone had removed the fuse, and improperly re-inserted it, so it prevented the charging form the house side. If your Rv is like my 05 Pace Arrow, you should be receiving 13.2 volts or better as measured at the chassis battery when plugged into shore power. This would mean that the converter is charging both your house and chassis batteries.

EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Instead of bogging your brain down by suggesting you search for BIRD here is a quick shortcut for your setup.

Go to the battery compartment and locate the big black solenoid mounted on the back wall. It should have a purple wire on it. Carefully feel the solenoid to see if it is hot. If so it is being energized.

Now you need to put a voltmeter from ground to one side of the solenoid and then the other. (the large terminals). IF the voltage is not the same the solenoid is defective which is a common problem and easy enough to find links on this forum for the better replacement.

If the solenoid is bad you can unplug from shoreline, turn both sets of batteries off with the big round switches, then stack the large wires together onto either side of the solenoid until you get a new one.

If this solution does not work there are lots of places to go from here.

Again, for some heavy reading just do a search for BIRD. You will get way to much information and you have to sort out what applies to your model. Yours should be very close to my 08 Endeavor
YC1....from your post I would assume that the engine batteries WILL charge when connected to shore or generator power.

What will joining the two large leads on the solenoid do? Might that cause an overcharging condition? What does this solenoid do?

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
BIRD. Bi directional relay delay. It combines both battery banks when any source of charging is available. (alternator, generator, shoreline, solar).

Combining the two cables will do no harm and cannot overcharge. This relay/solenoid is supposed to do exactly that but does not appear to be working. This is a temporary measure. Your aux start push button activates the same solenoid.
If you mess around pushing the button or go banging around the battery compartment the relay may start working and you will be scratching your head. It is important to feel the solenoid. Be careful, it can get very hot. This is normal. If it is hot it means the purple wire has a voltage on it to activate it. This is what should be happening. The contacts get bad inside the relay/solenoid. I have replaced mine twice and keep a rebuilt one on hand.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stan&Jacquie,
In this thread all posts are correct, sort of. Some coaches do and some do not charge the chassis battery from shore power. Because your owner's manual says the chassis batteries are charged when connected to shore power that is what we need to go by. Now for the fun part. I do not know how your coach was built. If iRV2 has an owner's forum for your brand, consider asking what kind of charging circuit is in your coach. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you this. The hard part may be finding the components. No matter what the brand is those assembling the coaches seem to take delight in putting components in unique locations. The two systems I am familiar with are the BIRD and the BIM.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
BIRD. Bi directional relay delay. It combines both battery banks when any source of charging is available. (alternator, generator, shoreline, solar).

Combining the two cables will do no harm and cannot overcharge. This relay/solenoid is supposed to do exactly that but does not appear to be working. This is a temporary measure. Your aux start push button activates the same solenoid.
If you mess around pushing the button or go banging around the battery compartment the relay may start working and you will be scratching your head. It is important to feel the solenoid. Be careful, it can get very hot. This is normal. If it is hot it means the purple wire has a voltage on it to activate it. This is what should be happening. The contacts get bad inside the relay/solenoid. I have replaced mine twice and keep a rebuilt one on hand.
Thanks for this most helpful info. I have determined the solenoid is bad....13 volts on feed side; 11.75 volts on engine battery side .

Can't locate the forums recommendation fora ether product. Might you be able to steer me to one?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Stan&Jacquie,
In this thread all posts are correct, sort of. Some coaches do and some do not charge the chassis battery from shore power. Because your owner's manual says the chassis batteries are charged when connected to shore power that is what we need to go by. Now for the fun part. I do not know how your coach was built. If iRV2 has an owner's forum for your brand, consider asking what kind of charging circuit is in your coach. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you this. The hard part may be finding the components. No matter what the brand is those assembling the coaches seem to take delight in putting components in unique locations. The two systems I am familiar with are the BIRD and the BIM.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
I had a faulty Battery Isolator Solenoid. Replaced it and now everything is charging again. Chassis batteries and house batteries from shore Power or generator as well as House batteries from alternator when driving.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Thanks for this most helpful info. I have determined the solenoid is bad....13 volts on feed side; 11.75 volts on engine battery side .

Can't locate the forums recommendation fora ether product. Might you be able to steer me to one?

Thanks again for your assistance.

I noticed when I drive for 4 hours or so, and I have had less than 15 amps dc load on the inverter, upon arrival my bulk charger kicks on when I plug in. I think I may have a bad solenoid too? Should there be charge voltage on both sides (when plugged in to shore power) at all times? If so should be easy enough to test.

I don't think mine is like Mike's but he wrote a great guide on cleaning them. It's posted on the forum somewhere.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
YC1

Stan, I will do a search. Glad you found it. Curious, did you feel the solenoid? Did you happen to measure the voltage on the violet wire?

The solenoid is a trombetta and we recommend the silver contact one. It is on here somewhere and I may have it in my private archives. I will try to find it here so you can benefit from the forum threads.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #24
YC1

It is a Trombetta Bear Model #114-1211-020. From all the posts, this is the best.

Scroll to the top section and find the little box with a google search. Search for Bird, and then search for Trombetta so you can really learn how this system works.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It is a Trombetta Bear Model #114-1211-020. From all the posts, this is the best.

Scroll to the top section and find the little box with a google search. Search for Bird, and then search for Trombetta so you can really learn how this system works.
Got it! New solenoid has been ordered and I should have it in a few days.

Yes...touched solenoid and it was cold. Could not get any voltage on the purplevwire.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #26

Ut-oh, if no voltage on the purple ( small ) wire, you may have other problems.

If the solenoid was warm , then it could be bad. Cold means no power to it, making the problem in BIRD control.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Got it! New solenoid has been ordered and I should have it in a few days.

Yes...touched solenoid and it was cold. Could not get any voltage on the purplevwire.
Guess I wasn't clear. A warm solenoid means it is drawing current and activated. No voltage on the purple wire mean a different problem and time to chase the fuse that supplies it.

Please reconfirm your statement.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Guess I wasn't clear. A warm solenoid means it is drawing current and activated. No voltage on the purple wire mean a different problem and time to chase the fuse that supplies it.

Please reconfirm your statement.
Yes... That is correct. The solenoid is cold and i get no voltage from the purple wire. When i test it the meter registers a few rapidly changing numbers and then settles down to zero volts