Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Chassis batteries not charging

I've been parked and plugged into shore power for the last month and noticed the chassis batteries have steadily discharged down to 11.8 volts today. House batts are fully charged.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
__________________

__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I've been parked and plugged into shore power for the last month and noticed the chassis batteries have steadily discharged down to 11.8 volts today. House batts are fully charged.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
PS. The genny won't charge them either.
__________________

__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
HR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 450
Like a lot of coaches it may not have a charger built in for the chassis batteries.. only for the coach batteries. I had to add a maintainer in the battery compartment.
__________________
2004 Holiday Rambler DST
Jefferson City, Missouri
Navy vet 67/71 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Like a lot of coaches it may not have a charger built in for the chassis batteries.. only for the coach batteries. I had to add a maintainer in the battery compartment.
Both the inverter and the generator should them but neither are producing charging current at the battery posts.
__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Member
 
Carl & Shelly's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yuma AZ
Posts: 58
Check your big boy relay, this happened to us. I was able to take the relay apart and clean the contacts. This is the same relay that connects house batteries and chassis batteries when you use the boost switch, you might try using the boost switch and then check the voltage.
__________________
09 Monaco Dynasty

Cheshire IV
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Lt46's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 632
Many coach builders do not provide for chassis battery charging, other than from the engine alternator. Is this something new? Did the chassis battery charge before? Or, is this your 1st long-term parking scenario and just noticed the voltage drop?
__________________
Peter
1997 F53 Adventurer 37rw
IAFF L-792 (Retired)
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
xydial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 308
It is my understanding that there are two types of systems for the battery control. The system on my Knight will charge the house batteries from the chassis alternator but NEVER charge the chassis batteries from the house charger.

It is recommended to put a battery minder (charger) on the chassis batteries when storing the unit. I take the simple approach and disconnect the chassis batteries to eliminate the parasitic draw on them.

Good Luck
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ
2013 Ford Edge
xydial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Many coach builders do not provide for chassis battery charging, other than from the engine alternator. Is this something new? Did the chassis battery charge before? Or, is this your 1st long-term parking scenario and just noticed the voltage drop?
Yes...my Monaco manual states that the chassis batts will charge when hooked to shore power or using the gen.
__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl & Shelly View Post
Check your big boy relay, this happened to us. I was able to take the relay apart and clean the contacts. This is the same relay that connects house batteries and chassis batteries when you use the boost switch, you might try using the boost switch and then check the voltage.
Please pardon my ignorance but what is a big boy relay and where might I find it?
__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
It is my understanding that there are two types of systems for the battery control. The system on my Knight will charge the house batteries from the chassis alternator but NEVER charge the chassis batteries from the house charger.

It is recommended to put a battery minder (charger) on the chassis batteries when storing the unit. I take the simple approach and disconnect the chassis batteries to eliminate the parasitic draw on them.

Good Luck
Interesting...p 152 Section 8 of my manual states that when the "motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged."
__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
docsdock's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Padre Island
Posts: 442
Blog Entries: 1
Monaco does not charge the start batteries when hooked to shore power - I hade same problem - An easy fix is the ECHO charger - not to expensive and easy to hook up. No problems since I installed mine. You can get all the info on monaco easy mods.
__________________
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I've been parked and plugged into shore power for the last month and noticed the chassis batteries have steadily discharged down to 11.8 volts today. House batts are fully charged.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
PS. The genny won't charge them either.
Stan&Jacquie
Me thinks that you may be expecting to much of your coach.

On many coaches:
1.) The chassis battery(s) are ONLY charged by the alternator if/when the engine is running.... just like any other vehical...(car, truck motorcycle, etc.)....
2.) Shore or generator power ONLY charges the house batteries, (with the on board inverter/charger).

If that is a problem for you, adding a Trik-L-Start or an Echo-Charge will solve the "problem".
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer,
Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex

BTW, my chassis battery has NO "accessory charger"added....
In '01 I eliminated all UNNECESSARY, (parasitic/phantom), "draws" from my chassis batteries.
I have had no "chassis battery discharge problems" in the 14 years since

Mel
'96 Safari, 137 k miles
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Stan&Jacquie's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

Stan&Jacquie
Me thinks that you may be expecting to much of your coach.

On many coaches:
1.) The chassis battery(s) are ONLY charged by the alternator if/when the engine is running.... just like any other vehical...(car, truck motorcycle, etc.)....
2.) Shore or generator power ONLY charges the house batteries, (with the on board inverter/charger).

If that is a problem for you, adding a Trik-L-Start or an Echo-Charge will solve the "problem".
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer,
Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex

BTW, my chassis battery has NO "accessory charger"added....
In '01 I eliminated all UNNECESSARY, (parasitic/phantom), "draws" from my chassis batteries.
I have had no "chassis battery discharge problems" in the 14 years since

Mel
'96 Safari, 137 k miles
Many thanks...will look into an auxiliary charger.
__________________
Stan & Jacquie
2007 Monaco Knight DFT 40'
2012 Equinox w/Air Force I, Blue Ox Alpha & Base, 600 Watts Solar.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,575
Instead of bogging your brain down by suggesting you search for BIRD here is a quick shortcut for your setup.

Go to the battery compartment and locate the big black solenoid mounted on the back wall. It should have a purple wire on it. Carefully feel the solenoid to see if it is hot. If so it is being energized.

Now you need to put a voltmeter from ground to one side of the solenoid and then the other. (the large terminals). IF the voltage is not the same the solenoid is defective which is a common problem and easy enough to find links on this forum for the better replacement.

If the solenoid is bad you can unplug from shoreline, turn both sets of batteries off with the big round switches, then stack the large wires together onto either side of the solenoid until you get a new one.

If this solution does not work there are lots of places to go from here.

Again, for some heavy reading just do a search for BIRD. You will get way to much information and you have to sort out what applies to your model. Yours should be very close to my 08 Endeavor
__________________

__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House batteries not charging falconman Monaco Owner's Forum 39 07-11-2016 10:16 PM
Engine battery not charging house batteries belizeanbus RV Systems & Appliances 12 12-08-2014 03:43 PM
Inteli Power 9100 not charging batteries... -LB- National RV Owner's Forum 18 11-18-2014 05:29 AM
Chassis batteries not being charged D Lindy Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 10 08-10-2014 03:08 PM
Coach batteries not charging Lance7 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 15 06-26-2014 01:45 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.