Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chassis Battery Drain

I have a 2003 Southwind 36 on a Workhorse chassis. I disconnect the house and chassis with the disconnect switches but unless I also disconnect the chassis battery at the battery it is drained after a couple of days. Any ideas or help pointing to what would be still connected? Thanks
Wshiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
These are commonly called "Phantom Loads" and are hard to trace down. The easiest thing to do is to disconnect the battery cables until you need them.

No drain on the battery except for normal self-discharging which can be up to 15% per month.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

Could be a bad cell. I would do as Richard suggests, wait a couple of days, reconnect and see if starts up.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

Parasitic draws are common on motorhomes. Many are normal. Search this site and you will find reams of reading. On my 2001 workhorse chassis the battery will go down far enough in a month that it won't start. A couple of days is really short. The first thing I would do is get it charged up and checked for load and specific gravity. The battery may be failing. If you have a .5 to1.5 amp draw it may be hard to get rid of. There are several types of disconnect switches available that are easy to hook up and use. I keep a 1.5 amp battery conditioner on mine when plugged in and the battery stays full charge.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Sounds like you have at least one bad battery. As suggested above, disconnect all the batteries, each one from the set, and have them load tested to find the weak link in your set.

Now you'll have another hard choice to make, and that's rather to replace just the bad one/ones, or the whole set.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Sounds like you have at least one bad battery. As suggested above, disconnect all the batteries, each one from the set, and have them load tested to find the weak link in your set.

Now you'll have another hard choice to make, and that's rather to replace just the bad one/ones, or the whole set.

DTW
2003 Workhorse likely only has one battery for the chassis. So it has to be in pretty good shape to hold up under parasitic draws and still crank over the 8.1 liter engine. It is certainly not an uncommon problem.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wshiley,
There are many different types of battery terminal disconnect products. The products save one from having to actually disconnect the battery cable from the battery. A sample is at https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...tm%3B336%3B385

What you choose depends on the battery you have, the space available and the complexity or simplicity of the solution desired.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have replaced the chassis battery twice thinking it might be a bad battery but the same discharge happens. I have just installed a disconnect on the ground cable and the problem is taken care of. The problem persists especially when the coach is in for service for a cople of days,,,the battery drains.

Thanks for all the reponses.
Wshiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis