Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Chassis battery not charging

DW and I have a Jayco Greyhawk 2009. When plugged into shore power the chassis battery does not charge. Should it and if so where do I look for the problem.... Converter?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Most do not get charged while on shore power. You can add a Trik-L-Start to charge the chassis battery from the house battery.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Thanks ! I couldn't find anything in the owners manual!!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Most do not get charged while on shore power. You can add a Trik-L-Start to charge the chassis battery from the house battery.
ChasA,
Well Sir, that's not entirely true. Prior to about '06 Winne and Itasca did nothing to insure there was a charge getting to the chassis batteries while the coaches were on shore power or gen power. But, in the early '06s and beyond, they both started installing the "Trik-L-Start, to augment the chassis battery charging while on shore power. I'm only familiar with Winne and Itasca so, I'm not sure if any other manufacturer started using the Trik-L-Start also. And to be honest here, I'm not sure if Winne and Itasca are STILL using the Trik-L-Start or not on/in the newer coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
Thanks ! I couldn't find anything in the owners manual!!
larrydp,
Well, if you don't have the aforementioned "Trik-L-Start" system on your coach, it's a pretty easy system to install. There's lots of folks on here that have done it. There's other ways too, to solve your problem. I installed a nice, Three-stage NAPA battery charger, permanently in our coach. It took me about 1/2 a day to do it. And, I tied it directly into an open breaker in the 110VAC breaker panel. So, if and when I ever need to disconnect that charger from the chassis batteries, it's simple flip of a breaker in the panel.

And, the charging to the chassis batteries is completely separated from the charging of the house batteries. Most of the time the factory systems work flawlessly so, the likelihood of problems with the "dual" charging never arise. But, in any case, you've got some options here. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

I got a small solar panel that plugs into the lighter socket. We'll see how that works.
Anyone else use the solar panels thru the lighter socket?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here is what I bought to replace my coaches Echo charger. It's a 12 step - 3 stage charger. I give it a 5 out of 5!

Noco Switch Mode Multistage 12 Volt - 7.2 Amp / 24 Volt 3.6 Amp
Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
I got a small solar panel that plugs into the lighter socket. We'll see how that works.
Larry,
I'm assuming by, "Small solar panel", you mean less than 1 amp in charging capabilities. Most of those are. Solar is a good way to go but, in order to get true benefits of it, the panel MUST be large enough to do any good. And by that I mean, the out put of it must be able to over come any parasitic draw on your chassis battery(s) and, still be able to give you upwards of 5-7 amps or more.

And, one that puts out that kind of amperage is usually around 135 watt unit and, hover around 26" x 50" in size. But, as we all know, solar is ONLY GOOD when the sun is out and, you're not parked under a tree or garage or, storage where the sun will be limited etc.

As has been stated, you need to look into your coach, and the books that possibly came with it, and find out if your unit came with a "Trik-L-Start" unit or not. It could be they only came with the certain diesel models. Not sure on that one.

But, also as has been stated, you can install any, 3-stage battery charger permanently and wire it direct to your 110V panel and direct wired to your chassis batteries. In that manor, you're assured your chassis batteries are being taken care of.

The "Trik-L-Start" is a good unit. It is NOT a battery charger. It simply is connected to both sets of batteries and monitors the voltage of each set. If and when it detects a 1/2 volt difference between the house and chassis battery sets, it then ALLOWS some of the charging that is meant for the house batteries to be diverted to the chassis batteries. And, the max it will allow at any given time is, 5 amps which, is pretty good, based on the condition of your chassis batteries at the time. Good luck.
Scott
Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

The main reason I have solar is that where I store our RV there is no 110 power😂
Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
The main reason I have solar is that where I store our RV there is no 110 power��
Larry,
I certainly understand that reasoning. The main reason I advocate a larger panel than what you have is because in about 99.99% of todays RVs, there's enough of a parasitic drain on both chassis battery and, house battery setups, that a small panel, (usually the size that plugs into a 12V power point) is not large enough to both over come those parasitic draws and, instill a charge into either set of batteries. It's not always the case but, it happens quite often. Maybe your panel is enough. Only you will be able to know that after, you've had it parked for a while and, your batteries are in good shape. Good luck.
Scott
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Double check that the socket is energized with the ignition key in the off position. A lot only work when the key is on.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

FWIW I just set up out C for the cold snap. AC plugged in to charge the house batts and a smallish charger plugged into the outside AC socket and an extension cord draped over the mirror arm so I will see it. That charger is connected to the Chassis battery. That way I can pull the plug in the garage in a couple of days and know the batteries are charged and good for a month or so. If we get another Arctic blast I'll plug it in again. Otherwise I do a walk around with a DVM in a month. Next year it gets two float chargers. ;-)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #12

Quote:
DW and I have a Jayco Greyhawk 2009. When plugged into shore power the chassis battery does not charge. Should it and if so where do I look for the problem.... Converter?
Thanks!
Our house batteries weren't charging and we were sure our very expensive Optima gels were bad. Turned out that there is a solenoid to the batteries and it was bad. Replaced that and all is well. Optimas are in in excellent shape.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis