Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM   #1

Am down to making decisions on exactly what I'm going to order. A dealer which does only ford maintenance and full service on unit is only 20 minutes away. A dealer who sells and services those on chev. is 2 hour drive away (4 hour round trip for any service)/ Is the extra hp of the chev. worth the extra distance, inconvenience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This site is such a friendly, helpful place to ask questions. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM   #2

Am down to making decisions on exactly what I'm going to order. A dealer which does only ford maintenance and full service on unit is only 20 minutes away. A dealer who sells and services those on chev. is 2 hour drive away (4 hour round trip for any service)/ Is the extra hp of the chev. worth the extra distance, inconvenience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This site is such a friendly, helpful place to ask questions. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Doc, One might have to go daily and the Chevy maybe annually . Just kidding. The Workhorse however is the best choice in gas. The W24 is tops.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:16 AM   #4

Had to add a little amaretto to my coffee...just the thought of doing all my camping at the dealer gave me the jitters....
Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 AM   #5

docD, it's not just the horsepower difference, again you didn't mention what chassis you were looking at with the CHERVOLET POWER but if it has the Workhorse Chassis it beats the Ford Powered unit hand's down. Ed.S
Old 03-19-2005, 04:39 AM   #6

Ed, it is the workhorse chassis. Sounds like I know where I'm going with this issue. I really need advice on this,I have total ignorance in this area. Thanks...doc
Old 03-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that to base a chassis decision strictly on dealer location is not a good idea. You are goingto have to live with this chassis and 99% of the time you'll be driving it, not repairing it. As mentioned, the Workhorse chassis, especially the W24, is at the top of the heap. Workhorse is desired by most everyone and the resale values of those units reflect this. Besides, if you RV does break down chances are it's not at home and you'll never know where that will be. Also, while Ford does tout that there are more dealerships available, many of these can't handle an RV because of it's size so those numbers are not a valid comparison.

Although, there are lots of RVers who own smaller class A's (30') that are more than happy with their Ford chassis. If you find an RV with either chassis available you'll notice that the Workhorse is a significant upcharge. Most of the shorter ones will run with the Ford in order to be more price competitive.

But, drive a W24 chassis sometime and you'll see why.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if it has the Workhorse Chassis it beats the Ford </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those statements are just opinions, and hardly facts. In reality, there are some advantages to each. The Workhorse chassis weighs in at more than 1600# more than the Ford for the same gross weight rated chassis. For that reason, a coach built on the Workhorse chassis will have 1600# less CCC that that same coach when built on a Ford chassis. There have been reviews in motorhome magazine of coaches that when built on a Workhorse chassis had less than 600# or CCC for a 35' coach. One of these was an Allegro and another was the Cruise Master. But that is always true at least to some degree. And the Workhors costs you extra to get that small cargo capacity.

Additionally, the new 2006 Ford chassis has now been released. It has 363 hp, and a 5 speed transmission as well as several other changes. So now the highest powered gas chassis is once again from Ford. Competition is a great thing. If it were not for the introduction of the V-10 powered chassis from Ford, we would still be looking at the old Chevrolet P-30 chassis with only 16k of gross weight. That For chassis caused GM to sell the chassis division to Workhorse who has developed the current line of chassis that they sell, and that has in turn put the heat on Ford to improve their chassis. I suggest that you take a close look at both chassis and make sure that you are looking at the new one from Ford. Then choose the one that fits you best. But make sure that you check the CCC of all of the choices as well. To run over loaded is to risk your safety and the safety of those who share the road with you.

I do agree with the others that to choose by the location of the dealer is not a good idea. But you also need to know that many Cheverolet dealers will not work on or supply warranty service to the Workhorse. They do not have to since Workhorse is not a part of General Motors.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #9

The V10 and it's tranny are a light-duty pickup truck combination. The heaviest GVWR the V10 is available in is Ford's motorhome chassis at 22,000 lbs. In Ford's bigger trucks it can only be had in a F-550 with a GVWR of 19,000 lbs. Anything bigger (F-650 and larger) requires a diesel engine and an Allison transmission. (This can be verified at www.ford.com)
This indicates to me that at 22k lbs. the V10 is pushing the envelope for what it was designed for.

The 8.1L on the other hand is a true medium-duty engine. While it too is available in a pickup truck, the same engine (in various HP ratings) is available in Class 7 medium-duty trucks up to a GVWR of 42,600 lbs. with a rated service life in these applications of 200,000 miles. (This can also be verified at www.chevrolet.com)
As for chassis weights- I don't know where Kirk is getting his numbers (perhaps he can provide us a link) but (for example) a 2005 Allegro Bay 37DB with Ford chassis comes in at 18,450 lbs UVW. The same coach on a WH chassis is 18,650 lbs. UVW, for a difference of only 200 lbs. (These numbers are common to most other manufacturers gas motorhomes as well.) The difference in CCC is negligible between the two chassis, which negates the argument of Ford having 1600 lbs. more CCC. As there is only a 200 lb. difference between the two chassis, a Ford would've had 800# or less CCC in the motorhome magazine test mentioned. (I don't know where the magazine got its numbers, but my well-equipped 37DB on W22 chassis has 1982 lbs. of scale verified CCC as it sits at the curb.) It should be noted that the price of the WH is usually about $1600 more than the Ford, so this may have been the point of confusion...

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get all the information right.

Competition is indeed a good thing, and with WH sporting a 24,000 lb. chassis it'll be interesting to see what Ford's response will be.

Happy trails!

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm looking to buy a new motor home also.
The Ford Chassis only has 36,000 lb tensile strength, while the workhorse is 50,000, and the twisting resistance of the workhorse is much higher.
The new 2006 F53 seems to have the same frame as the 2004 chassis, per the Ford site.
I'll take the Workhorse/Allison over the Ford -- I don't trust an untested tranny --- just my opinion, and maybe time will prove the new Ford, but it seems many manufacturers stop using Ford at 34/35 feet and 36 foot and up are Workhorse---
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that you being an old AT&T you'll make the right decision. There is just one point I want to make with you, whatever you buy, keep the big black things that turn on the road...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote