Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #1

At the stick house, I had a complete Davis weather station and enjoyed logging the weather. I miss that on the coach, especially the wind speed. We're always guessing what speed the gusts are and it's important to know due to our Datastorm dish (good to 40mph when it needs to be lowered.)

I wanted to find a low cost solution and I came up with a good one I think. This is the link for the model I bought. It was only $75 and it seems to work real well. One reason the price is so low is that they use a bicycle computer for the display; it sounds clunky but it is a very effective display.

I mounted the anemometer to the top of the ladder and brought the wire in through the roof near the rear TV compartment. I'll get some project pictures posted sometime this week on our web site.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #2

At the stick house, I had a complete Davis weather station and enjoyed logging the weather. I miss that on the coach, especially the wind speed. We're always guessing what speed the gusts are and it's important to know due to our Datastorm dish (good to 40mph when it needs to be lowered.)

I wanted to find a low cost solution and I came up with a good one I think. This is the link for the model I bought. It was only $75 and it seems to work real well. One reason the price is so low is that they use a bicycle computer for the display; it sounds clunky but it is a very effective display.

I mounted the anemometer to the top of the ladder and brought the wire in through the roof near the rear TV compartment. I'll get some project pictures posted sometime this week on our web site.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #3

Looks good John. I hope the cupped spinner stays free running, what with the sun and weather on it. I had one of those Radio Shack types at the house and the spinner just got to stiff in no time.
I'll be interested how you'res works out. The price is good and it looks doable. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #4

Total non-weather geek type question.

Doesn't your awning have a wind sensor? Could you have tapped into that signal?

Too crude of an instrument? Doesn't react to gusts? Would have been too cheap (we know we love to spend money on toys)?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #5

Tim - A&E (brand I have) doesn't the traditional cup-type anemometer. The use thermistors which somehow sense a heat differental caused by the air movement through the strange-looking 'top hat' sensor.

It is not worth trying to figure out how to tap in and read their data. If I had an old one on a workbench, it would be a blast to play with it; I'll just leave my mostly-working one alone though

Old 05-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #6

I figured there was a simple answer. I have the good ol' do it myslef manual awning. I've seen coaches (million plus Parliment fo one) that had the cup style. Never paid atterntion to a Winne.

The hot wire type is familiar to me though, it's what an engine airmeter is. Is that case, there's electronics on the sensor that convert the air mass (what a hot wire measures) to a simple voltage. Converting airmass to windspeed could be a bit tricky, but it probably doesnt need to be accurate to pull and awning in.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote