Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #1

Posted this info about a month ago looking for a solution to my problem. Did not submit engine codes at that time because MH and records were in storage. Just got back from another trip and would like to try again.

Drive a 2000 Southwind 32V on the Ford chassis with the v-10 triton engine. I put an after market Banks exhaust system and transmission trans command also from Banks. I drove this unit for approximately 38,000 miles without a problem. About that time the check engine light came on. Over about a year I have taken it to my mechanic and recently the Ford Fleet service center in Roseville to get it fixed. Four to five thousand dollars later I still have the light on. The following parts/work have been replaced/completed:O2 sensors(2), mass air flow sensor(2),pvc hose,fuel pump,fuel filter,gas treated for water, computer reflashed, smoke test of vacuum lines,I think injectors swapped. The Ford Company wants me to completely go back to stock before they do any more work and Banks says it is not in their system. I aGREE SINCE i DROVE IT FOR A LONG TIME WITH THE bANKS BEFORE PROBLEM DEVELOPED. The main codes that show up indicated a lean condition on the right side(P1131). Code 1132 has shown up twice. Just put 8,000 miles on the rig in September and October going across the states and back. To my knowledge it did not miss one time. Ran strong on the hills. It appears to run as good as ever. Fuel mileage appears to be the same also. Anyone out there that can help?
-
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #2

Posted this info about a month ago looking for a solution to my problem. Did not submit engine codes at that time because MH and records were in storage. Just got back from another trip and would like to try again.

Drive a 2000 Southwind 32V on the Ford chassis with the v-10 triton engine. I put an after market Banks exhaust system and transmission trans command also from Banks. I drove this unit for approximately 38,000 miles without a problem. About that time the check engine light came on. Over about a year I have taken it to my mechanic and recently the Ford Fleet service center in Roseville to get it fixed. Four to five thousand dollars later I still have the light on. The following parts/work have been replaced/completed:O2 sensors(2), mass air flow sensor(2),pvc hose,fuel pump,fuel filter,gas treated for water, computer reflashed, smoke test of vacuum lines,I think injectors swapped. The Ford Company wants me to completely go back to stock before they do any more work and Banks says it is not in their system. I aGREE SINCE i DROVE IT FOR A LONG TIME WITH THE bANKS BEFORE PROBLEM DEVELOPED. The main codes that show up indicated a lean condition on the right side(P1131). Code 1132 has shown up twice. Just put 8,000 miles on the rig in September and October going across the states and back. To my knowledge it did not miss one time. Ran strong on the hills. It appears to run as good as ever. Fuel mileage appears to be the same also. Anyone out there that can help?
-
Old 11-23-2007, 03:56 AM   #3

I have a 99 Southwind with a Ford V10, and am having similar problems. My check engine light is on again for the third time. The last one was a 1131 code and had the sensor replaced. I have driven it for thousands of miles with no seeming impact. Won't be able to get another code read till next spring as I have just put it in storage.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I will be working on this until I get it resolved. Will keep y0u informed. Do you have a Banks installed?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #5

If everything is running fine,I wouldn't put more money in it.Check engine lite usually means emission control problems.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

I have the same problem with my 96 Southwind, I also have a Banks power pack with a Ford 460 V-8, my problem is that it is OBDI instead of OBDII, and I cannot locate where the diagnostic plug is at on this unit, so I cannot retrieve any codes. It runs good and I average 8 mpg, but the light just nags me.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
isa

Triple E Owners Club
I had a check engine light on and it turned out that the fuel tank's gas cap wasn't on correctly. After making sure that the cap was on properly it took two or three engine starts and restarts to clear the check engine light. A faster way to clear the check engine light would be to unhook the engine/chassis battery for about 30 mins.
P.S. I am talking about a 1999 F53 V-10 Triton.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. I should be so lucky. The cap has been on and off many times since this problem developed. Always tighten and then further rotate until it ratchets to make sure it is tight.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #9

I was on vacation when you posted before. A few more thoughts. I hadn't read your post here, it has a bit more info.

Anyway.

1131/2 aren't rich or lean fuel codes. Just that the sensor is stuck rich or lean. If you're not setting any other codes, it's probably not a fuel problem. A few things come to mind. The Banks kit moves the O2 sensors from their stock location. It's done with a short "extension cord". Perhaps there's a poorly sealed connection that is letting water in that is shorting out the sensor. Or perhaps a damaged or corroded pin in one of those connectors. I'd take apart the connectors and inspect them VERY closely. Any damage or even a loose pin could be causing your problem. You might also look for any melted wires. Headers and heat go hand in hand. The "extension cords" could easily be too close to the headers. You may not see outward damage. I'd inspect the wires inside the convolute.

A lesser possibility is related to something I've seen on my '04 with Banks headers. The O2 sensors being farther away don't heat up as quickly. Under the right conditions (temperature mostly), it'll switch from open loop to closed loop before the sensors are heated up. It runs a bit rough as it tries to go closed loop, but I've never gotten a code.

Oh yeah, exhaust leaks could also cause issues. The exhaust pulsing will actually let air into the exhaust causing the sensors to read lean. A very minor leak could let in enough air to set lean codes. Wouldn't explain a rich reading though.

And. Roseville. California? There isn't a truck center in Roseville Michigan, which would be in my area...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I would be willing to guess that when you put the banks system on, the location of the sensor is now affecting the input. As it wears or gets coated with gunk, it runs less efficiently. Just change it out with a new one and get an Actron scanner, they are cheap, you can reset it yourself and save money in the process. I have a mechanic I trust and he says most of the sensors have little to do with the operation of the vehicle. I have been doing work on OBD-1 system and have found this to be the case. Most of these ECM's are little more than table driven functions and the sensors are 'tweakers' to the table lookeup values. Dealers would have you believe otherwise...

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
FW

Root; Have you tried a NEW gas cap? I had a Chev camaro that did the same thing. Before putting money into it a friend said to try a new cap and reset engine light.(disconnected battery neg terminal about 5 minutes)
FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #12

guys first off you will need a topquality scan tool and second refer to the freeze/frame records when the code sets, seeing when and how the code sets, if it sets at idle and not driving a possible intake vacuum leak can cause this,and the fault is setting because it is correcting a problem itself,like a vcuum leak, gas caps problem will set evap emssion fault they are different. are you trying to fix it yourself? it is a complex system, obd2 system are different because they are designed to correct or disable so that don't pollute.
new-to-rving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #13

Any update Root?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #14

Thanks all for youe input. Have not done anything to date with problem, but will follow up on all suggestions.