Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
paz

Check your engines, generators, and any other place critters are likely to build nests. This is just a reminder that this is the time of year that critters are looking for nesting spots and it's about the same time RVers are getting their rigs out of winter storage.

Even those of us who are full-timers aren't immune. We have been moving every 5 to 7 days since we left our snowbird roost at the end of March and I thought it would be unlikely for an animal to find a spot for a nest in our motorhome that quickly. I was wrong. Yesterday as I checked my oil, I saw a little plant material sticking out from below the air deflector on the top of my engine. As I looked further, I saw more grass and twigs on the top of the engine and I also saw two eyes peering back at me. I ran and got my awning rod and poked it in the direction of the nest. It was difficult to see in the darkness under the hood, but I think it was a Kangaroo Rat that took off. I removed the dog house cover and cleaned out a whole lot of twigs and grass. The nest appeared to be fairly fresh because it didn't have a whole lot of shape yet and some of the leaves were still green. I checked the surrounding wires and didn't find any gnawed insulation. I have been continuing to check to make sure the critter doesn't come back.

I thought I would post a reminder to everyone to take time to check for nests before driving, especially when taking your rig out of winter storage. All that dried plant material around hot engine parts could be a recipe for disaster.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
paz

Check your engines, generators, and any other place critters are likely to build nests. This is just a reminder that this is the time of year that critters are looking for nesting spots and it's about the same time RVers are getting their rigs out of winter storage.

Even those of us who are full-timers aren't immune. We have been moving every 5 to 7 days since we left our snowbird roost at the end of March and I thought it would be unlikely for an animal to find a spot for a nest in our motorhome that quickly. I was wrong. Yesterday as I checked my oil, I saw a little plant material sticking out from below the air deflector on the top of my engine. As I looked further, I saw more grass and twigs on the top of the engine and I also saw two eyes peering back at me. I ran and got my awning rod and poked it in the direction of the nest. It was difficult to see in the darkness under the hood, but I think it was a Kangaroo Rat that took off. I removed the dog house cover and cleaned out a whole lot of twigs and grass. The nest appeared to be fairly fresh because it didn't have a whole lot of shape yet and some of the leaves were still green. I checked the surrounding wires and didn't find any gnawed insulation. I have been continuing to check to make sure the critter doesn't come back.

I thought I would post a reminder to everyone to take time to check for nests before driving, especially when taking your rig out of winter storage. All that dried plant material around hot engine parts could be a recipe for disaster.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #3

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #4

We have the same problem with our farm tractors. When we get rained out for a few days and have to leave the tractors outside, the birds get busy making new homes in the exhuast pipes and on top of the diesel engines. When we return we clean the engines off and then start them up. The exhaust gases blow bird nests, eggs and highly upset birds about 20 feet in the air.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

I figure if they are there when I fire up my rig its just free road kill mmmmmh good eatin...LOL..
just kidding. thanks for advise and reminder
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

I have experienced the same problem on my Damon Ultrasport. I screwed wood to the inner door and connected the gas cylinder to it. The cause of the problem is water getting into the door and there is no was for it to get out. Very complete caulking is required on all seams, inner top, and inner sides. It has seemed to control the problem for me.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
You might want to make sure that your Generator and fuel tank is ok too, I was having a problem with the genset and found out the little mice here made a nest and chewed the wires to the inside wall panel. Also, They made there nest on top of the fuel tank and had chewed thru the fuel lines! If I had tried to start the engine first I may have had a different ending to that story as it has an electric pump at the gas tank and sparks are not something you want when you try and start your coach Along with fuel being pumped all over the tank and ground. I was lucky that time, I may not be the next.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote