Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your genset air filter

I did an oil and filter change on my 10KW Onan genset right before we left on our current trip, about 160 hours since that was done. My air cleaner filter and fuel filters were changed about 260 hour ago (Onan recommends air and fuel filters to be changed at 500 hour intervals). My genset shut down recently during a stay at Walmart overnight but my AGS immediately restarted it and it ran OK but just did not sound right.

Today I decided to change the fuel and air filters. I was shocked to see the amount of dust in the air cleaner element . It was completely clogged with fine dust. I am amazed it ran at all.

We have been traveling in the West in and out of some dry and dusty RV parks with the generator running to keep our AC's on. I can't believe it sucked that much dust in the filter but it surely did.

I will be changing the air filter at the 250 hour interval. If you have traveled in dusty environments and used your generator, suggest you check that element.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With the radiator fan blowing straight down, if you spend much time parked on dirt, I can see it getting plugged quite easily.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I changed my oil on onan 8000 last weekend. Guess I need to do air filter also. Where is it on how hard to get to. My genny is not on a slide. Thanks, JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
May even be worthwhile to carry an extra, large size door mat, to throw under the gen when parked on a dirt site.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
With the radiator fan blowing straight down, if you spend much time parked on dirt, I can see it getting plugged quite easily.
Yes, and the cool air intake is on the bottom. Between running the generator and the air movement of my side radiator fan, the coach looked like a moving dust storm whenever we came into and left some of the RV parks, especially those in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Nebraska.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

I had an air filter problem awhile back, couldn't find a replacement filter, took out out and blew it out with compressor and it worked fine. I have since replaced it because my gen won't start, but it wasn't the air filter, I think I have a hole in the fuel line or some other problem on the coach side because it runs fine with an external fuel tank. Anyway, my point is that you can blow them out a few times especially when it's fine dust.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Just a ponder....if the genie air cleaner looks like that....wonder what the coach engine air cleaner looks like??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Just a ponder....if the genie air cleaner looks like that....wonder what the coach engine air cleaner looks like??
While I haven't visually checked the engine air cleaner, the flow restrictor has barely moved from the lowest point. That said, I plan to replace it as soon as we get home in about 3 weeks. It is a good Donaldson radial filter and it was new in spring of 2013. I think the Onan filter got so bad due to the fact that the air intake is so close to the ground.