Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman

Jeff, for us electrician-types, this tester is really neat! Cudo's to whomever figured it out. I think I'm gonna build one

Of course the Fluke meter will do it all too, assuming you know which holes to poke the test leads into and interpret what the meter's telling you.
I built one of these testers also. The biggest problem with these testers is the not unusual neutral leg that opens up when it's loaded for a bit. This is very hard to spot and it will devastate the coach electrical system and electronics. This finally drove me into the arms of Progressive Industries.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As noted above, testers are great for an initial test, but most problems occur after you're hooked up and only an EMS can protect you then.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Route 66, why spend a bunch of money building a single use tester when that money could go towards the purchase of an EMS unit which is monitoring your electric supply 24/7.

Most of the problems that I have encountered happen well after I have plugged into shore power. And I have Progressive Industries to thank fro being there and protecting my coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW, an EMS will act as a tester when you initially plug in.

If there's a problem, the EMS will not let the power through to the RV.

This is the one I had with 2 displays. One display in the power bay for an initial test and one in the MH, so if something went wrong with the power, I could see what it was without going outside.

Name:   EMS_HW50C.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  35.3 KB

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I suggest a PRogressive Industries EMS. It will do it for you.
Saved me $3500 in the first month due to power surge. $3500 is what it cost my neighbor.
The best advise so far... It has saved me quite a few times....
Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the cost of spare parts I can do an initial evaluation of the pedestal before plugging in my Three Hundred dollar Surge Guard. Yes, the Surge Guard will protect my Rig after I do an initial test with the DIY tester. I can also test before doing any setup and save some time. Besides, it is a great way to learn more about electricity as it applies to your rig.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Progressive Industries 50 hardwired surge protector. It has saved me a couple of times.

The last time it saved me it did so by sacrificing itself. Glad it did but that caused me to have to remove it and bypass it to restore power to the MH. Once removed I sent it back to Progressive to have it repaired.

I now faithfully check the 50 amp service at the pedestal before plugging in. WHile I am confident the surge protector will protect the MH it's a PIA to remove it and bypass it while waiting on repairs.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have a Progressive Industries 50 hardwired surge protector. It has saved me a couple of times.

The last time it saved me it did so by sacrificing itself. Glad it did but that caused me to have to remove it and bypass it to restore power to the MH. Once removed I sent it back to Progressive to have it repaired.

I now faithfully check the 50 amp service at the pedestal before plugging in. WHile I am confident the surge protector will protect the MH it's a PIA to remove it and bypass it while waiting on repairs.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #23

I went to Lowe's today and bought a Sperry ET6204 4-Range Voltage Tester.

It will test voltages at 120V, 240V, 277V, and 480V. I'm going to keep it in the motorhome to test campground pedestals for proper voltage and polarity. The tester will not provide actual voltage, but will tell you if the pedestal is at least wired correctly. I have a voltage meter in the coach which I can check actual voltage levels if necessary.

It's not the best solution, but it was $6.00. If I lose it, I won't cry too much.

You have to know which holes in the pedestal receptacle to probe into to check the proper wiring, but I'm an old electrician, so I'm comfortable with this initial test. This way I can prove the pedestal is at least wired properly or improperly.

I also agree that the correct solution (bigger bucks) is an EMS. Mine's a portable unit.

I'd be happy to explain how to use it, but I suggest you have some electrical knowledge if you do. It will tell you if the 50A pedestal is a true 50A 240V pedestal or not just by probing it.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i use the progressive ind 50 amp portable surge protector. it has save me from plugging in when the neutral was open. i bought it several years ago for about $100.

SSP-50
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #25

Ok, I'm convinced I should buy electrical protection for my motorhome (50 amp). Any suggestions or recommendations between the TRC Surge Guard and the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C ? Both are similarly priced. I want a portable model, not a hard wired unit. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried out my home built pedestal tester as described in a previous thread on our current trip. It works great. I plug in a Kill-o-Watt meter to check for over or under voltage and to see if the cycle is where it is suppose to be. Now to install my hardwired Surge Guard.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My vote goes to Progressive Industries based on their customer service.

My MH was hit by a surge in a CG, the PI surge protector did it's job but it did so by sacrificing itself. Pulled the unit out overnighted to PI and had it back in 3 days including shipping both ways. So they received it in the morning, replaced the bad board that day and shipped it out that afternoon. All it cost me was the FedEx to them.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was leaning towards the PI 50 HW unit until I found the Surge Guard 50 HW at CW for 200 bucks.