Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Okay, I got my pedestal tester completed. It works great. I attach a Kill o Watt meter that I have had for several years to check for Under/Over voltage and proper frequency. There is the simple voltage test light to verify that it is plugged into a true 50 amp RV service with two separate 120 vac legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY RV Pedestal Tester.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	34488  
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #30

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been debating about getting a surge protector or in reality what they are is a "voltage sensitive switch". There is some protection built into the Progressive Dynamics converter but they do not tell you how much. I will be making up one of the testers, just a good idea before yo do anything. At home I have a point of entry panel guard and on each of the major appliances and electronics a sure protector and a UPS for the computer. The two or three layer surge protection device is best. In looking for information of what kind of protection for the trailer I was looking for some depth of information and found Surge Protection FAQ's which I will book mark for future reference and stick in my folder of stock answers for RV forums.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a HW-50 Progressive unit. Their Warranty is the best. Even when out of Warranty they will take care of the problem. The Progressive unit is well worth the money.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I have a HW-50 Progressive unit. Their Warranty is the best. Even when out of Warranty they will take care of the problem. The Progressive unit is well worth the money.
Since they say its a lifetime warranty. I'd say its never out of warranty. They have lived up to this.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Okay, I got my pedestal tester completed. It works great. I attach a Kill o Watt meter that I have had for several years to check for Under/Over voltage and proper frequency. There is the simple voltage test light to verify that it is plugged into a true 50 amp RV service with two separate 120 vac legs.
I made a similar device but instead of putting a box as you did, I put female rubber coated plugs for each leg and put a light testers into each pigtail plug.

For 30A service, I use a normal RV male plug to female U-Ground adapter and put a light tester into that.

I even test any 20A outlet I am not familiar with. So often people reverse neutral and hot connections when wiring these plugs. All they have to remember is "Gold is Good" but many times people have put the black on silver and white on gold.

ONLY USE THESE FOR TESTING.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I made a similar device but instead of putting a box as you did, I put female rubber coated plugs for each leg and put a light testers into each pigtail plug.

For 30A service, I use a normal RV male plug to female U-Ground adapter and put a light tester into that.

I even test any 20A outlet I am not familiar with. So often people reverse neutral and hot connections when wiring these plugs. All they have to remember is "Gold is Good" but many times people have put the black on silver and white on gold.

ONLY USE THESE FOR TESTING.
Lets see some pictures. I really like the DIY out of box solutions for everyday RV problems. Clean trouble free electric service is on of the important ones. This is a great tool for RVers whose resources are limited and the cost of a surge guard is out of immediate reach. Get yourself an old four conductor dryer cable, a plasitc gang box and a couple 15a outlets to start. Failure to ascertain proper service at the CG can result in thousands of dollars in repair and a less than satisfying trip.

Someone also said to not use the test box to separate loads. Given the step down in wire size needed to make connections to the outlets I would not use the test box as a power distribution box. Not sure how it will hold up to max current loads. This just checks for a properly wired pedestal, open neutral, reverse polarity, open ground, over/under voltages and properly wired 50 amp pedestal through both legs. Gonna test it out tomorrow at a county campground nearby. I hear the trout fishing is going to be good also.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Lets see some pictures. I really like the DIY out of box solutions for everyday RV problems. Clean trouble free electric service is on of the important ones. This is a great tool for RVers whose resources are limited and the cost of a surge guard is out of immediate reach. Get yourself an old four conductor dryer cable, a plasitc gang box and a couple 15a outlets to start. Failure to ascertain proper service at the CG can result in thousands of dollars in repair and a less than satisfying trip.

Someone also said to not use the test box to separate loads. Given the step down in wire size needed to make connections to the outlets I would not use the test box as a power distribution box. Not sure how it will hold up to max current loads. This just checks for a properly wired pedestal, open neutral, reverse polarity, open ground, over/under voltages and properly wired 50 amp pedestal through both legs. Gonna test it out tomorrow at a county campground nearby. I hear the trout fishing is going to be good also.
Right on re the step down wire. So unless it is fused to protect the smaller wire, just use this for testing. I have my 50A pigtail test cable loaned out to friend who is cruising in the Southern States and I no longer have a Class A and we are grounded for a few months because of my wife's health. I don't have a photo of the cable, it but it is the same concept as the one shown except I put rubber coated female plugs on each leg. I soldered the Ground and Neutral connectors inside the rubber insulated enclosure I made.

I primarily use 30A service now. Attached are pictures of the Standard off-the-shelf adapter and tester I use. I can also plug my Kill-a-watt meter in to the adapter as required. Use the same testers for the 50A breakout test cable.. Hope my picture gets loaded OK.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote