Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ontherocks View Post
This is starting to get a little off topic I do not have an odor problem. My question is more about dumping into a septic tank. The chemical part is kinda a secondary question dealing with not killing the natural enzymes in a septic tank. Some of the chemicals that are eco friendly actually add enzymes. I should have titled it different. I dump and flush the tank three times and add water before use. I was wondering if I have to do something special because it is a septic tank as they have specific chemicals. Also how about some more from you guys that use a septic tank to dump. Any problems? Thanks
Why are you flushing the tank three times? That's a waste of water. Just use plenty of water when you use the toilet, let it get AT LEAST 3/4 full anf then you dump, followed by grey water. Put some water into tank and you are set to go. 7 years fulltiming.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I've had my own 'RV Dump' where I park since 1985 and I'm on Septic. Also we have used powder laundry soap since 1985 too .. I even lived inside my coach for 18 months about 5 years ago using the dump the whole time. I've used all kinds of RV chemicals over the years except any containing formaldehyde with no problems. I use Septic Tank Treatment once a year that adds enzymes/bacteria to the system that keeps it 'working' correctly. I haven't had to have the Septic tank pumped since it was put in new in 1985. There is no reason not to use a RV dump on Septic system.

i too have lived in same house{home built in 1955} with septic since 1980 and i have built about One Hundred homes with NoDak style septic systems...they do have to be sucked out and backflushed occasionaly..as the solids after the bacteria eat do build up on the bottom of the tank..if you use your septic prod you can feel the solids ..i have always had a prod with the emty line on it and after 2-3 yrs i measure and see what has built up...and the amount is always dependent on how many live there and what is put down drain...i replaced my feild not the tanks at 1995 as the old field was not properly taken care of....jeff

' Had a London Aire..350hp sparton chassis... with all the good stuff from the time.. Just traded for a 2007 Alfa gold!! ya and picked up yesterday 9-24-16
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
We had a new septic system installed in 2010. I spent quite a bit of time talking to three of the county soil scientists. They all agreed that there are NO additives that do anything constructive.

They all said to limit the amount of chlorine bleach but it's not necessary to eliminate it totally.

As mentioned here by a couple others, formaldehyde is a no no.

Their number 1 pet peeve and an absolute DO NOT USE item is anti bacterial hand soap!

The blue perfume a lot of people use in their RV should present no problem.

All that being said, I very seldom put anything in my black water tank. Once in a while I use some grey water perfume in the traps.

I'm sure you can guess where I dump, chemicals or not.

BTW, my old septic was still in pretty good shape and hadn't even been pumped for 11 years. Just needed a larger system so we could add on to the house.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #32
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well you know the costs today better than I do (my system is six years old)

The benefits....

Where I'm parked now it's 25 feet from the outlet to the hole in the ground, Now as it happens I have that much 3" stinky but that's a whole lotta hose.

I have been in one spot where it was 45 feet, again I have that much 3" but.. That's ALL So I used the pump and the 50 foot black hose (3/4 inch) and got 'er done.

I had one spot where there was a gray water dump at 74 feet, I do not have that much hose.. thugh I could only dump gray (We tend to need to dump gray more often) so I hooked my 25 foot gray hose and my 50 foot 3/4" Black hose and we made the trip.

I've been in places where the hole in the ground was HIGHER than the outlet on the RV.

Again the pump pumps uphill well

I've been on a site where there was a problem with the sewer and I had to pump next site over.

In short, advantages many.
Wow, I never realized there were so many ill-planned , poorly conceived campgrounds. To the OP, I would try to dump on my way home, if convenient, and skip dumping at the house.

Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote