Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Chemicals for Septic Tanks

OK guys. Right now I have a sweet setup for dumping my rv. Nice easy accessible sewer cleanout. I'm on city sewer so I don't need to worry about what chemicals I use in the holding tank. We are moving to a new house and I want to set up a similiar cleanout. At this house we have a septic tank. I have been told I have to use certain chemicals, I believe because of the enzymes. Which chemicals are ok for septic tanks and won't mess them up? Do I just need to change chemical or do I need to add a treatment to the septic tank also? Which ones are good? I've been checking out BioActive, Eco something, and TravelJohnny. Thanks in advance
Ontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

I think you will find that many (most) of us who spend significant time in our rvs do not use any chemicals in our holding tanks. A lot of rvers use soap and Calgon wetter (google GEO method). Most of the commercially available holding tank treatments are basically wetters and perfuming agents. Enzymes would normally not have enough time to work in a holding tank.

It is still possible in some places to buy holding tank chemicals which contain formaldehyde. Those should not, IMO, be used in septic systems and, many campgrounds ban their use, even in areas where they can be bought. Household septic systems are pretty robust. They handle household chemicals like bleach without any issues. I suspect there is very little you could do to hurt a 1000 gallon or larger septic with an occasional holding tank dump. If it makes you feel better use Rid-X. It is harmless and may even do a little good.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherocks View Post
OK guys. Right now I have a sweet setup for dumping my rv. Nice easy accessible sewer cleanout. I'm on city sewer so I don't need to worry about what chemicals I use in the holding tank. We are moving to a new house and I want to set up a similiar cleanout. At this house we have a septic tank. I have been told I have to use certain chemicals, I believe because of the enzymes. Which chemicals are ok for septic tanks and won't mess them up? Do I just need to change chemical or do I need to add a treatment to the septic tank also? Which ones are good? I've been checking out BioActive, Eco something, and TravelJohnny. Thanks in advance
Even though we don't dump in any septic tanks, we routinely use liquid Rid-X in our black & grey holding tanks. It should be OK for when you dump in the cleanout to your septic tank. We also use septic tank safe toilet tissue.

Here's a link to the Rid-X liquid---RID-X - Septic System Treatment 3-Dose Liquid 24 Ounce

Good luck and safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

I use whatever is cheap and does not have formaldehyde. That way I dont gag when I dump. About 40 cents per dump.
Boom!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

So if it doesn't have formaldehyde it is safe for septic tanks? Is the formaldehyde what kills the enzymes in the septic tank? We do alot of dry camping so I think I need something for odor even though when I dump I thoroughly rinse the tank and add water before use.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was in the Septic business for 20 years. If you maintain your system in a responsible way and only dump your Rv occasionally you will not hurt the system. On your way home from the trip do not use any chemicals on the last leg before you dump in the septic system and you will be OK. If however, you let all your friends and neighbors dump there, oh well, lots of luck. Powder laundry detergent is the worst thing you can do to a septic system.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I was in the Septic business for 20 years. If you maintain your system in a responsible way and only dump your Rv occasionally you will not hurt the system. On your way home from the trip do not use any chemicals on the last leg before you dump in the septic system and you will be OK. If however, you let all your friends and neighbors dump there, oh well, lots of luck. Powder laundry detergent is the worst thing you can do to a septic system.
LOL No I won't be running a dumping service, it will just be me dumping in it. Just checked with the wife and she uses liquid not powder. I just don't want to screw up my septic tank
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

I've had my own 'RV Dump' where I park since 1985 and I'm on Septic. Also we have used powder laundry soap since 1985 too .. I even lived inside my coach for 18 months about 5 years ago using the dump the whole time. I've used all kinds of RV chemicals over the years except any containing formaldehyde with no problems. I use Septic Tank Treatment once a year that adds enzymes/bacteria to the system that keeps it 'working' correctly. I haven't had to have the Septic tank pumped since it was put in new in 1985. There is no reason not to use a RV dump on Septic system.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I've had my own 'RV Dump' where I park since 1985 and I'm on Septic. Also we have used powder laundry soap since 1985 too .. I even lived inside my coach for 18 months about 5 years ago using the dump the whole time. I've used all kinds of RV chemicals over the years except any containing formaldehyde with no problems. I use Septic Tank Treatment once a year that adds enzymes/bacteria to the system that keeps it 'working' correctly. I haven't had to have the Septic tank pumped since it was put in new in 1985. There is no reason not to use a RV dump on Septic system.
Wow, thanks, This is the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like I will be alright if I do it the right way.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherocks View Post
So if it doesn't have formaldehyde it is safe for septic tanks? Is the formaldehyde what kills the enzymes in the septic tank? We do alot of dry camping so I think I need something for odor even though when I dump I thoroughly rinse the tank and add water before use.
Based on my experience if you have an odor problem it is probably due to not using enough water and/or a plugged black water tank vent. When we had an odor problem, we replaced the toilet and used chemicals to no avail. Then I found that mud dobbers had plugged the vent. When I fixed that and started using the Geo method and I add 5/7 gals water as soon as the tank is dumped.
I started this while dry camping and found that we got about 5 days more use before dumping than before. So using more water got us more time.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Based on my experience if you have an odor problem it is probably due to not using enough water and/or a plugged black water tank vent. When we had an odor problem, we replaced the toilet and used chemicals to no avail. Then I found that mud dobbers had plugged the vent. When I fixed that and started using the Geo method and I add 5/7 gals water as soon as the tank is dumped.
I started this while dry camping and found that we got about 5 days more use before dumping than before. So using more water got us more time.
I'm going to check the vents tomorrow. Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #12

On you home septic tank system I would be careful dumping large amounts of water at one time they are not designed for that. 10-15 gallons at a time may be ok, but if you roll in with the black and gray tanks full and dump all at one time you may be in for an unpleasent supprize .
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
On you home septic tank system I would be careful dumping large amounts of water at one time they are not designed for that. 10-15 gallons at a time may be ok, but if you roll in with the black and gray tanks full and dump all at one time you may be in for an unpleasent supprize .

Explain the surprise part? What could happen?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
I believe Bruce is talking about a flood of 100 or so gallons of black/gray water into the tank causing an overflow of the tank into the distribution box going out into the field lines. normal settling and enzyme action on solids keeps soiids out of the distribution box. This 'box' acts like a manifold, allowing water to be distributed into the field for absorbtion into the ground. In newer systems, a leach field with gravel beds and a sort of tunnel for water flow is used. In either case, it basically takes water to an area where it can be absorbed into the ground through a layer of gravel.
If this large amount of water/solids/paper etc is dumped there is a chance the solids can get into the distribution and then into the field lines. This would/could clog the surface of the gravel and slow or stop absorbtion of the water into the leach field area.
Pretty 'crappy' explanation I know
doc is offline   Reply With Quote