Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Chime for Headlights??

Several times we have gone in to eat and is see i left headlights on.Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket chime that can be installed(easily).
This would be helpful. Thanks. 2004 Monaco Diplomat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We ( DW ) made up little signs and put a string on them . They hung around the base of the GPS. One was "lights on. " , another " turn refrigerator on" ( we shut it off when fueling ). It worked well for us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get a wooden, spring clip clothespin. Clip it under the parking brake to ensure you have lifted it completely (won't fit if you don't) and while underway, move the clothespin to the headlight switch shaft. The reminder works for us.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #4

Consider yourself lucky. I have an chime that I would like to turn off so I can use the marker lights with the engine off.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Consider yourself lucky. I have an chime that I would like to turn off so I can use the marker lights with the engine off.
I added a SPDT, (single pole double throw), switch into the wiring of the marker lights on my coach.
In position 1 that switch powers the marker lights normally (with 12VDC from the chassis battery via the head light switch).
In position 2 it powers the marker lights with 12VDC from the house batteries, (whether the headlight switch is ON or OFF)...independent of the chassis battery, the ignition switch, and the headlight chime).

I often switch it to position 2 and use the marker lights in the evening when camping, (rather than a string of lights on my awning or rope lights on the ground).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
Several times we have gone in to eat and is see i left headlights on.Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket chime that can be installed(easily).
Are you the original owner? If not, look inside your dash. Many sound generators are right there. Previous owner may have disconnected it. My '02 DS has a headlight sound, I'm betting your '04Dipl is supposed to.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I will check out under the dash. I also like the suggestion about the clothespin on the park brake.We will try several things.
We leave in 2 weeks going to Bath Maine first for 6 weeks then we are working our way down the coast doing some art shows,ending up at the rally sept 14Th.Looking forward to that.We will be full time from now on,so there is a lot to figure out.
Thank you everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111252832_3thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	65263  
Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I added a SPDT, (single pole double throw), switch into the wiring of the marker lights on my coach.
In position 1 that switch powers the marker lights normally (with 12VDC from the chassis battery via the head light switch).
In position 2 it powers the marker lights with 12VDC from the house batteries, (whether the headlight switch is ON or OFF)...independent of the chassis battery, the ignition switch, and the headlight chime).

I often switch it to position 2 and use the marker lights in the evening when camping, (rather than a string of lights on my awning or rope lights on the ground).

Mel
'96 Safari

We camp regularly with family & friends that have TT. They all have their TT set up to run their marker lights in the evenings instead of string lights. Looks neat. Good idea. Hadn't thought of doing my class A. Guess I'll work on that.

Russell
Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also use my clothespin to hold the airdump switch while preparing to level...
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
I copied this info from another members post several years ago, and have not tried it but it sounds simple enough. Sorry, but the pictures did not copy but the directions are very clear.......Fred
A piezoelectric buzzer also works fine for this function.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.jpg[/IMG]www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062397
2800Hz, 76dB, 6-18vDC, 10mA@12v
www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062402

1500-3000Hz,

The piezo buzzer works like a diode, only passing current in one direction. These will then be polarized, so you have to connect the positive wire to battery positive. Nice thing about this is that you do not need a relay for this application.
[IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CFred%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsoht mlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif[/IMG]
Connect the piezo buzzer between the ignition switch output and the lighting switch parking light output. Switch on parking lights. If it
doesn't buzz, swap the wires on the piezo buzzer.

With ignition and lights on at the same time the buzzer has 12 volts on both sides, will pass no current, and will not sound. With ignition switch on but no lights, the piezo buzzer has 12 volts on one side but will not pass current in that direction, so also does not sound. With lights on and ignition switch off, the piezo buzzer gets power from the lighting circuit and finds ground return through the ignition coil (when ignition contact points are closed) or through the fuel pump or fuel gauge. The piezo buzzer has such high internal resistance (only a 10mA device) that the lower resistance circuits conduct current like ground connection for the buzzer. Current is limited to 10mA by the buzzer, so nothing happens in the ignition or fuel pump or fuel gauge (or heater fan,
wipers or radio if any of those were left on). The little piezo buzzer could buzz loudly for six weeks before it would bleed 10 Amp-Hr of power out of the car battery.

Tags
lights