Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

China bombs

Here is a picture of my 2007, 18,000 mile 16 inch tires. At least I made it to a tire shop.Click image for larger version

Name:	1437742097941.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	100969
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

You have no complaints. That tire aged out two years ago.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Here is a picture of my 2007, 18,000 mile 16 inch tires. At least I made it to a tire shop.Attachment 100969
9year old tires, and you are blaming the country the tires were made in?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

I'm afraid you certainly were riding on borrowed time by 2 years. Even the Goodyear LT H rated tires we ran on our 5th wjherl aged out at 5. And you can be sure that we are overly cautious about weight and tire pressure
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Why are you calling them China "bombs?" By your own admission, you were able to make it to a tire shop. They didn't explode on you while driving down the highway making you loose control and fly off the road damaging your RV or injuring you or our family. Sounds to me that the Chinese did you well by providing a safe tire for you to use for nine years on your 2,000 mile family vacations each of those years. Instead of making a disparaging remark, I think you'd be shouting "hooray for the Chinese!"
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Why are you calling them China "bombs?" By your own admission, you were able to make it to a tire shop. They didn't explode on you while driving down the highway making you loose control and fly off the road damaging your RV or injuring you or our family. Sounds to me that the Chinese did you well by providing a safe tire for you to use for nine years on your 2,000 mile family vacations each of those years. Instead of making a disparaging remark, I think you'd be shouting "hooray for the Chinese!"
Old 07-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #7

The name "China Bombs" came from this forum.

I have owned the MH 1year and put 16,000 miles on it, full timing.

I'm happy my China Bombs let me wobble to the dealer. My spare is a 1999.

Now I can test, 6 new, American made Bombs. So far so good.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I suspect these tires where neglected and abuse by the previous owner. Most pre-owned RVs come with questionable tires and batteries.

Tires are like batteries. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

Oh, okay. Sorry, twinboat. Didn't mean to give you a hard time about referring to your tires as "China Bombs." Since yours didn't blow out while traveling down the road at highway speed, I just thought it unfair to call them "bombs" but I understand why you were tempted call them that. Still, it sounds as if those tires you had gave pretty good service.

The China Bomb terminology was first used on this forum and other RV forums referring primarily to the trailer tires made by Chinese manufacturers a few years back that were blowing out as the trailer was being towed down the road even though owners were diligent in checking their load and pressures, etc. The sidewall would literally "blow out" hence the use of the China Bomb reference.

Today's motorhome tires (commercial truck tires) that are made in China are starting to get a pretty good reputation as you'll see if you follow all the threads on this forum pertaining to Sailun, Samson, Aeolus, Double Coin, etc., etc. They are not blowing out any more than tires made in other countries.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like you got your money worth and then some, 2 Years past the normal 5 max. You can't blame it n China, you are lucky. They are most likely older than that by about a year, if you actually check the manufactured date.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
China bombs

"China Bombs"? What the hell are you talking about? There's no call to disparage those tires. They have done you damn well. You are the one running 8 y/o tires on a trailer doing 16K per year; you are the one who bought one year ago a trailer with a full set of 7 y/o tires, knowing nothing of their history, use or abuse, overloading, or care, and yet continued their use. You are the one who through great random luck and no judgement at all managed to push the tires far beyond their limit, and they still managed to finally fail without anyone getting hurt. I think if you must apply some high school sobriquet to these long-suffering tools, "Twinboat Bombs" would be far more appropriate! ;-) ;-) ;-)

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
"China Bombs"? What the hell are you talking about? There's no call to disparage those tires. They have done you damn well. You are the one running 8 y/o tires on a trailer doing 16K per year; you are the one who bought one year ago a trailer with a full set of 7 y/o tires, knowing nothing of their history, use or abuse, overloading, or care, and yet continued their use. You are the one who through great random luck and no judgement at all managed to push the tires far beyond their limit, and they still managed to finally fail without anyone getting hurt. I think if you must apply some high school sobriquet to these long-suffering tools, "Twinboat Bombs" would be far more appropriate! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Wow, sorry!

At least read the OP and get your facts correct, before you go off on a RANT!

I had 2,000 miles on my "Motor home" tires, when I bought it. 18,000 total on tires.

I don't even have a trailer. I do have a NEW dolly.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Twinboat, I appreciate the lesson you were trying to impart. That is, old tires will cause a problem.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Dang brother, take a chill pill and go RVing. No need to go off like a 'bomb', be it china or whatever.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote