Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #15

Yes, I am totally new to this, so I have to ask...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmover View Post
So for longevity, what type of tire cover material works best?
I made one and the guy at the upholstery store told me to use Marine grade Naugahyde. I also coated it with 303 Protectant.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmover View Post
So for longevity, what type of tire cover material works best?
I can only comment on the covers I use and have tested which are white vinyl as seen in the post showing the temperature results.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
yokohoma... made in america

In buying tires for my cars I go to tirerack.com. Under spec. it list country of origin. I have been buying Yokohoma because they are made in america...
I am shocked how many of the "American" Brands are made in China or Brazil..
I need 2 tires for the Beaver and saw some Yoks on a semi... Has any body tried these? Are they made in america? I could not find semi tires at tirerack.
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #19

Myself and friends had numerous ST tire failures on our trailers until we went with Yokohama LT tires.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #20

Any one have any experience with Samson tires I purchased a new set about three years ago with about 25k not a single problem spent 1100 for six 19.5 so far so good finger cross
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #21

I bought 4 Samson tires a month ago. 295/80R 22.5. The tire place recommended them. Guess I'll find out.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiGuy View Post
In buying tires for my cars I go to tirerack.com. Under spec. it list country of origin. I have been buying Yokohoma because they are made in america...
I am shocked how many of the "American" Brands are made in China or Brazil..
I need 2 tires for the Beaver and saw some Yoks on a semi... Has any body tried these? Are they made in america? I could not find semi tires at tirerack.
Can't speak for all TBR tires but I know Bridgestone & Firestone have a TBR tire plant in the US.

The first two characters of the DOT code are plant code. You can look up the plant on this link.

Country of manufacture is also required to be on tires saying "Made in US" or "Made in Canada" etc.

I believe the Goodyear codes for tires produced in the US include M6, MC, MD, MJ, MK, PJ, AND PL

For Bridgestone & Firestone truck tires the codes include Y7, 2C, 2M, 3M, 4D, SD, 7X, 8X, 9X, D2, and E3

but you need to confirm by checking the list and reading the information on the tire sidewall.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately looking for recalls is not likely to yield valid RV specific results and there are what I consider serious problems with these articles in methodology. The Good Sam club did a very good survey and their results give a good idea how bad the situation is.
http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-conte...ireSurvey4.pdf
Country of origin is not addressed but virtually all ST tires are coming from China (I have been looking for tires that are not).
As a researcher (social sciences) and some who worked in quality control on everything from the space shuttle to antique cars and for various testing labs, I will say, bad research is worse than no research at all, and quality is only as good as you force a company to be and standards are all too often ignored.
There is a NHTSA web site that will tell you where a tire comes from http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/manufacture/index.html
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #24

I don't remember the source, but I was told that when Carlisle started having their ST tires made in China, their failure rate decreased.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Unfortunately looking for recalls is not likely to yield valid RV specific results and there are what I consider serious problems with these articles in methodology. The Good Sam club did a very good survey and their results give a good idea how bad the situation is.
http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-conte...ireSurvey4.pdf
Country of origin is not addressed but virtually all ST tires are coming from China (I have been looking for tires that are not).
As a researcher (social sciences) and some who worked in quality control on everything from the space shuttle to antique cars and for various testing labs, I will say, bad research is worse than no research at all, and quality is only as good as you force a company to be and standards are all too often ignored.
There is a NHTSA web site that will tell you where a tire comes from Search Manufacturers Database | Manufacturers Information
I agree that searching the NHTSA site will not cover all tires of questionable value. I believe the primary reason for this is that RV owners and dealers almost never report potential safety issues to NHTSA.
It appears many feel posting something on an RV blog is sufficient.

In my original post I provided a link to a post on my blog that covers the process of how to file a report.

In upcomming posts I will be going into detail on how to do a better job of understanding the reason a tire had failed so any complaints will be more factual and less emotional.

I can only hope people will take this advice seriously.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
I appreciate the effort to prod NHTSA and encourage people to report problems but it is clear from the numbers of the Good Sam study that there is a problem.
I talked with a Good Year retired exec and his comment on Chinese made tires was that they were end product of food through... but they were getting better. He also said that if you have a failure that does damage file a claim. It is only when companies have to pay that they decide to improve. My experience in 30+ years of QC is that companies will make a product only as good as it has to be. When Japanese made cars were imported with the basic corporate paradigm that the car was to be as good as it could be it cause US car makers to improve their quality.
The RV industry is building a product that is only as good as it has to be and unfortunately most consumers are not demanding that it be as good as it can be.
Manufactures need to be held accountable and this includes tires made as cheaply as possible. I intend to replace the Good Year Marathon tires with car tires made in the US and in wich I have some expectation they will survive.

Th GS study indicated people were taking care of their tires for the most part and failure analysis is an art and a science (tires are not part of my expertise) so good luck in finding usable imformation.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #27

IMHO, the production line supervisors in China will do what ever it takes to cut costs to make themselves look better in their manager's eyes. If that means cutting the amount of a key component to make product, they will do so and blame it on the worker. These workers are lucky to have a job and will do whatever they are told to do.

China can make quality products, but don't when they can get away with it. Look at what HF sells. It may look good on the surface, but when you go to use it, it fails.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #28

Dunner, companies do that exact thing in the good old USA. It seems that the only thing upper management really knows how to do is pressure site managers to cut labor and materials cost. Yes we know who gets blamed when things go wrong. The Chinese probably learned it from us.

Tags
tires