Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #15

You can download a free app called "waze" that gives continuous road information provided by other users. Also check this web site for highway conditions, construction, weather issues, detours etc.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #16

1. Practice your backing skills. Seriously. At some point you will likely need them.

2. Do not try to make a turn that requires putting your tires off of pavement. A large MH can sink into dirt or sand that would be no problem for a car.

3. Refer to #1

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #17

Choosing MH routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
  • even numbered interstates run east/west (even if the pavement occasionally turns north/south).
  • odd numbered interstates run north/south (even if the pavement occasionally turns eat/west).
  • 3-digit numbers generally indicate a by-pass route around cities. by-pass routes may or may not have less traffic

Expanding a bit more on this good Interstate highway info...

3-digit interstates that begin with an ODD number are stub end routes which END in a city.
The last two digits show the Interstate they connect with.
I-395 connects with I-95 and goes into Baltimore and ends in the city.
I-110 connects with I-10 and ends in Los Angeles

3-digit interstates that begin with an EVEN number are routes which either go through or loop around a city.
The last two digits show the Interstate they connect with.
I-695 connects with I-95 on the north and south sides of Baltimore and is a complete loop around the city.
I-270 connects with I-70 on the east and west sides of Columbus, OH and loops around the city.
I-275 connects with I-75 on the north and south sides of Cincinnati, OH and loops around the city.
The infamous "405" (I-405 in Los Angeles) connects with I-5 and goes all the way through the city.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindysue View Post
We are motor homing in a 45 footer + toad for one year but only 2 months experience. We've ended up in too much traffic & narrow mountain roads & would like to avoid this. Any suggestions for apps, etc.?
Congratulations on your RV. You do need to make some allowances for your coach. I recommend you do like we do. the coach is my mobile condo. I park near an attraction I want to explore and take the toad.
I tend to stay on the main roads. I use RVparkey and google maps along with RV park reviews. I also use CoPilot and adjust the settings to RV. I have found it to be as good or better than some of the other stand alone GPS map tools. They do have a new version for RV"s that does more trip planning but I Can do that on RV Parky for free.
What mountin roads are you talking about?
I don't know any way to miss all the traffic and construction. Just drove from Fort Worth to Little Rock today on I-30 Lots of traffic, just take your time and it isn't to bad. Yes you can drive narrow secondary roads but it would have taken another 4-5 hours.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #19
dms

All great input but to answer your question regarding an app, we use "RV Parks and Campgrounds", by Parkadvisor. Free Android app. (Don't know if they have an Apple app).

You can set filters to show only what you're interested in, i.e.Truck stops, Walmart, Rest Areas, etc. Plus of course campgrounds with distance to each, and milages are accurate.

Best part is that the app shows caution signs on low clearance roads so that you can avoid them. Tap on the caution sign and it will tell you the clearance.

Also, it allows viewing in map layer or aerial photo layer. When I find a possible campground, I always look at the aerial photo to see the layout and if it is big rig friendly and satellite friendly, etc. Also good for determining 2 lane vs 4 lane roads.

Use this app along with your Rand Mcnally truckers big print atlas and you'll stay out of trouble and reduce the stress level.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Choosing MH routes

Quote:
We are motor homing in a 45 footer + toad for one year but only 2 months experience. We've ended up in too much traffic & narrow mountain roads & would like to avoid this. Any suggestions for apps, etc.?

Welcome, and good luck!

The best App available is between your ears.
Use your head and keep it simple. A lot of good advice has flowed here. With the exception of some particularly detailed specific info, just about everything you need can be had using Google Maps and common sense.
You're 70 ft long and weigh 20 ton. Stick to the main roads until your skills and confidence build a bit. But pay attention to what your coach is telling you so you can learn! There are folks on some of these forums who have driven their motorhome for years and are still intimidated by it.
The important thing is to enjoy the trip. The journey is the destination!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
OK I've just got yo ask. Does no one know how to read a map anymore??
Go to a truck stop and purchase a Rand McNally Motor Carrier Road Atlas
Get the enlarged version with the nice non paper pages and spiral bound
The road indicators are easy to read. All secondary roads that are traversable by trucks are marked in red.
Use this to plan your routes. The front contains low clearance by state as well as weight limited bridges.
Never ever depend on that voice in the box hiding behind a map. That GPS is only one tool and she WILL fail you. Anyone who depends on them deserves every dead end or one way street, every low clearance etc they get
Next download the Allstays Truck and Travel app. The filters will allow you to show all grades.
Do not allow your GPS to take you anywhere you aren't prepared for.
Exploring in your car is another matter and our GPS there is dependable.

I'm sure its the truckers daughter in me and I'll now cstep down from my soap box
About 10 years ago a person followed the GPS and wound up lost on a forest service road during a snowstorm, the cost to rescue her was $$$$$$.
I always have a Truckers Road Atlas in my truck and MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Why on earth did you start with a 45'RV, with a towed?
Why shouldn't he?

To the OP you have received some good info above you can take your pick as which one/combo to use but I will add something I have learned, that is when you are off on those minor two lane roads that often lead to great spots, pay attention to signs indicating truck routes as you approach small to mid-size towns. You are as long as a truck and my experience is that you can avoid issues with road size and traffic if you follow the trucks.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Why shouldn't he?

To the OP you have received some good info above you can take your pick as which one/combo to use but I will add something I have learned, that is when you are off on those minor two lane roads that often lead to great spots, pay attention to signs indicating truck routes as you approach small to mid-size towns. You are as long as a truck and my experience is that you can avoid issues with road size and traffic if you follow the trucks.
One example is Jackson, WY., miss the truck route and you have an exciting time driving through town.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
All great input but to answer your question regarding an app, we use "RV Parks and Campgrounds", by Parkadvisor. Free Android app. (Don't know if they have an Apple app).

You can set filters to show only what you're interested in, i.e.Truck stops, Walmart, Rest Areas, etc. Plus of course campgrounds with distance to each, and milages are accurate.

Best part is that the app shows caution signs on low clearance roads so that you can avoid them. Tap on the caution sign and it will tell you the clearance.

Also, it allows viewing in map layer or aerial photo layer. When I find a possible campground, I always look at the aerial photo to see the layout and if it is big rig friendly and satellite friendly, etc. Also good for determining 2 lane vs 4 lane roads.

Use this app along with your Rand Mcnally truckers big print atlas and you'll stay out of trouble and reduce the stress level.
There is an iOS app for "RV Parks and Campgrounds".
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Well, for one ,as good as the GPS is...I never go into a new area with just the GPS....I always double check the route with a paper map ....until I feel comfortable
second, when on this new route,the first thing I'm looking for our 18-wheelers going in my direction and even more important how many 18-wheelers are coming from the direction I'm going.....
If they can make it,so can we
Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #26

Quote:
The road indicators are easy to read. All secondary roads that are traversable by trucks are marked in red.
Use this to plan your routes. The front contains low clearance by state as well as weight limited bridges.
Never ever depend on that voice in the box hiding behind a map. That GPS is only one tool and she WILL fail you. Anyone who depends on them deserves every dead end or one way street, every low clearance etc they get
Next download the Allstays Truck and Travel app. The filters will allow you to show all grades.

I'm sure its the truckers daughter in me and I'll now cstep down from my soap box

This way will never fail you, GPS is just another tool and following the map with it to help your situational awareness will make your trip so much more enjoyable.

Always do a map recon before the drive, just as you would always do a pre-trip inspection on your equipment before you start out on your trip.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

This is great advice! We have the Garmin 760 and it works pretty well, but it took us a couple of places that was really difficult ! We now always back up with an Atlas, and even Google. Regards
Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #28

A problem with paper maps and atlases is scale. Very few state roads and no county roads are shown. With a GPS you can zoom down to city streets. The last time I priced that fancy truckers Atlas, it was somewhere around $100 in Barnes and Noble. I got the cheaper all paper version for about $25. While state maps and atlases are useful for planning trips utilizing interstate and US highways, they're not much use when you get off the beaten path.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote