Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cigarette Lighter

OK RVers time to put are heads together on this one I have a 2014 Tuscany 40EX.
All three lighters are not working right I have 11.15 volts on all the lighters. When i plug in a device the RED led light comes on But the device will not power up The lighters are hot all the time. Any thoughts on this one.

vmelroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Is this happening with more than one charger device? Unless every item you plug into the socket is not working, I would suspect the charger itself. If it is lighting up and has power, I doubt you can blame the socket. Try a different charger.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you on AC at the time? Have you tried other power sources, including just being on batteries? What are your batteries showing? Have you measured other 12v sources such as a light socket?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just put in all new batteries today
Old 07-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got the socket t0o read 15.50 volts I plug something in and the voltage drops to about 8.32 volts.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelroe View Post
Just put in all new batteries today
Nice! So? Are they charging? Are you on AC, etc, etc. See above post.

You can't troubleshoot the problem at just the socket and a volt meter. Are other systems at low voltages? Did you check? Does it change when your on batteries or the generator?

Why new batteries? Was it working before that change?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I doubt that all your 12v sockets are on the same circuit. But if they are, then it could be a short in that circuit. More likely, your not getting voltage from your systems charger/converter. Are these sockets on the house or chassis batteries? If chassis, does your rig charge the chassis batteries while on AC?

Measure your incoming voltage to your batteries while on AC. I can check it at my electrical panel with a switch, you probably can too.

Your lights should also be 12v, check them too.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Batteries one of the 4 house batteries was going bad and one of the chassis battery was going bad. generator running A/c running All i can figure is that I have a bad socket because when i plug into it the voltage gose down.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmelroe View Post
OK RVers time to put are heads together on this one I have a 2014 Tuscany 40EX.
All three lighters are not working right I have 12.50 volts on all the lighters. When i plug in a device the RED led light comes on But the device will not power up The lighters are hot all the time. Any thoughts on this one.
vmelroe
What device is not powering up?

If all 3 of your cigarette lighter sockets have 12VDC power methinks the problem is with the device... (or in the cord for the device)... not with your cigarette lighter sockets.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
TR4

Have you tried another device to see if it works?
Is the lighter receptical wired correctly (positive center, negative side)?
Does the voltage drop when the device is turned on?

Bill
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have plugged in several devices in all three and they all dont work i plug them in my car they work just fine
Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it is wired right and have tried several devices
Old 07-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #13

I had a similar problem ; voltage checked out with multi-meter , but nothing would operate; traced issue to a blown fuse ; that should have provided the power and amps to operate the items . The real problem with the power reading was the volts showing at the meter; were very low amp supplied from the chassis battery charge solar panel , some how showing up at the socket , after removing the solar panel's fuse the sockets tested as dead.

I'm thinking that your sockets have a low amp supply that's giving your meter reading OR when your using the meter , you are supping an alternate ground to the hot supply to the socket .
Have you checked the ground side wiring of the sockets for , zero ohms to chassis ground?
Remember your meter will detect voltage , but it only requires milli-amps to produce a reading, as soon as a real load; 5>10 amps; is introduce any poor connection will fail.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I had a similar problem ; voltage checked out with multi-meter , but nothing would operate; traced issue to a blown fuse ; that should have provided the power and amps to operate the items . The real problem with the power reading was the volts showing at the meter; were very low amp supplied from the chassis battery charge solar panel , some how showing up at the socket , after removing the solar panel's fuse the sockets tested as dead.

I'm thinking that your sockets have a low amp supply that's giving your meter reading OR when your using the meter , you are supping an alternate ground to the hot supply to the socket .
Have you checked the ground side wiring of the sockets for , zero ohms to chassis ground?
Remember your meter will detect voltage , but it only requires milli-amps to produce a reading, as soon as a real load; 5>10 amps; is introduce any poor connection will fail.

It should be added,that the circuit's inability to pass a meaningful amperage applies also to the ground side of the circuit. In other words,check to see where the sockets receive their ground and correct any problems found at that point.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light