Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Circuit tripping ?

When my wife uses the toaster and the microwave at the same time, both on the same circuit, it trips the inverter rather then the kitchen circuit inside on the panel. Shutting down the whole panel. Why is this?
Of course the inverter is outside, in the freezing cold! It doesn't happen often but sometimes she forgets.
BTW, 2008 Winnebago Tour. Fulltime, only home we have! and couldn't be happier.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does it only happen when dry-camping?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
No, we're hooked up to a good, solid 50 amp post and it happened a while ago.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mikenmo,
It matters not the source of the 120 VAC. Circuits connected to the inverter must still pass through the inverter's breaker. If the inverter has a 30 AMP capacity, that's all your going to get on those circuits.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the make and model of the Inverter?

This could be what is hapening but I don,t know your inverter model, my Xantrex freedom 458 would also trip in that situation.

Even though you are hooked up to external AC power, the inverter is passing the AC power through the inverter.

It trips because you are exceeding the current of one of the breakers on the inverter but not the total output current of the inverter. That is why the main inverter breaker is not tripping.

The inverter is most likley setup for 2 AC outputs. They could be 15 &15 or 15 & 20 or maybe 20 & 20 amp circuits. The microwave and toaster are high current draw devices, they draw at least 15 amps together and maybe 20 amps. You can try to plug in the toaster in a different receptacle and see if it trips with the microwave on.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

I have had this happen also. Sometime when the breaker is tripped, test your plugin outlets. I found some of mine were fused by the other inverter CB and plugged the toaster in that circuit.

Hae a nice day - Darrel
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Inverter breaker is most likely 15 amp, the Microwave draws as much as 11-12 amps, the toaster 10-12, Do the arithmatic and you will see that is over 20 amps.

he circuit is split at a sub panel with a 14 amp breaker feeding the microwave, and another feeding the outlet the toaster is plugged into,

But when it comes out of the invrter, it is all one breaker. There may be a solution but I'd have to have hands on (Well Eyes on) to find out.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

We are having the same problem. Circuit Breaker on the invertor is 30amp. All of our plugs go through the 30amp CB. We're in 27* weather and using a electric(1) on low. WH, fridge, is on 110. We are on good 50amp service. I need one receptacle that does not go through the invertor.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
YC1

This is because it is doing its job. You are exceeding the limits of the breaker. To work around that could be tricky but doable. I would be surprised if every outlet along that wall is on inverter power. Plug a light or radio into the outlets with the inverter running and shoreline power off. I put a tag on the ones powered by the inverter. If you find a handy one that is not powered you might consider an extension cord of proper size if you can hide most of the cord. Or you might be able to re-wire the toaster outlet to the one not powered by the inverter. The outlets you are using are probably wired with a short run of cable and not all the way to the inverter. If that was the case it would be easy to bypass that line. You have the AC breaker panel inline as well so no worries about a circuit breaker not being in the line.

Or, connect a tag close to the end of the toaster cord that says Dear Wife. You get to go out in the cold if you trip the breaker.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

I'm not trying to steal the thread but I have un plugged the 50amp and ALL of our plugs are hot when the inv is on.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
336muffin,
If your inverter has 2 circuit breakers on it, shut one off and see what receptacles do and do not have power. Do it again with the other circuit breaker. Label them circuit 1 and circuit 2. Then you can power one high current device on each circuit at the same time without tripping the breaker.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I'm not trying to steal the thread but I have un plugged the 50amp and ALL of our plugs are hot when the inv is on.

You will need a schematic and a qualified person to rewire an outlet or two. Or get very creative with an extension cord. Can you post the model of your inverter or pm me with it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A little different type reply for you. Use the microwave and toaster together and let it trip hte breaker on the inverter. Now, before you go outside and reset it, check all the plugs in the coach for which ones are dead and which ones are still live. This information will assist you from allowing it to trip in the future. You need to plug the toaster into an outlet that was still hot. Your problem should be solved.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds to me like you are exceeding the amperage limit on that circuit. Toaster is about 1500 watts, microwave is 1000-1500 watts when operating, add them up and you will trip a normal 15-20 amp breaker. Need to use one or the other and that will cure the problem I suspect. Merry Christmas to all.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote