Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #1

Hi everyone,
Sorry for all of these basic questions but I am still trying to get thru my rookie season here. Do want to learn it all so that we are as independent as possible.
So, I just finished winterizing the water system for the first time. All went very well until, as an after thought, I reread some of the literature and saw that I should release a little anti freeze from the city water connection.
When I pushed in the valve behind the screen I got a large flow of anti freeze instead of a little and it would not stop flowing when I released the valve. Tried all kinds of pushing and twisting but can not get the valve to stop the flow. Is there a 'trick " to reseating the valve? I tried with and without the pump on. If not how does one replace it?
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #2

Hi everyone,
Sorry for all of these basic questions but I am still trying to get thru my rookie season here. Do want to learn it all so that we are as independent as possible.
So, I just finished winterizing the water system for the first time. All went very well until, as an after thought, I reread some of the literature and saw that I should release a little anti freeze from the city water connection.
When I pushed in the valve behind the screen I got a large flow of anti freeze instead of a little and it would not stop flowing when I released the valve. Tried all kinds of pushing and twisting but can not get the valve to stop the flow. Is there a 'trick " to reseating the valve? I tried with and without the pump on. If not how does one replace it?
Don
Old 11-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either you have some trash in the seat or you pushed the valve too far and moved the rubber washer. Now it off set, and is not seating. You should be able to remove the 2 screws in front and pull the connection out enough to unscrew the pipe connection. Anyhow, that is how it was in the two I owned. If you can't reseat or clean out the seat, you should be able to pick up one an any RV dealer or supplier.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #4

Agree with MRMudstud. This valve is easily overmanipulated by the curious. But you can disassemble and reposition the valve stem and spring. Good luck!!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks Guys,
I took another look at it and do not see any "screws in the front to tak it apart. It looks like I have to take the 8 screws out that hold the whole assembly in place and pull it off of the wall of the vehicle.
Anyone out there with a BT Cruser or similiar set up?
Don
Old 11-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #6

<span class="ev_code_RED">First off, prevention is worth a pound of cure. ALWAYS release pressure off the city water inlet by opening a faucet before you push the valve pressure release!</span>

(Re-post) Repair your city water inlet using these directions.

1. Remove the screws holding the metal flange around the city water fill valve on to the panel . Pull firmly but gently to get the parts to release the inlet valve from the panel.

2. Reach around and unscrew the plastic adapter screwed into the City water fill valve. You may need a pliers to get it started, then it turns easily by hand.

3. Once the adapter is completely unscrewed, remove the flange screws the rest of the way and the City Water Fill valve comes out easily.

4. Look into the end where you attach your hose. You should see a small white plastic post with circular white plastic rim. The rim has two "ears" that stick out. Underneath the rim you should see a spring.

5. Turn the valve around and look at the other end. You'll see a circular white plastic disk with a small hole in it. If you look carefully, you'll see a black o-ring that is only partially on the plastic disk. That is the problem - when the "blow out" happened, the o-ring came off of this disk.

6. With a pair of forceps (or needle-nose pliers), grab the circular white plastic rim (the one with the ears) in the middle. Don't grab the ears themselves, just grab the rim. Then, pull it straight off of the plastic post. It doesn't take much force to pull it off.

7. You'll have a white plastic donut with ears in your pliers. Set that aside. Remove the spring and set aside too.

8. Push the white plug out of the valve by pushing from the end where the hose connects.

9. Now you'll see the white disk with a groove around its circumference. You'll also have the o-ring that is loose. Roll the o-ring back into the groove.

10. Put the white disk back into the valve and hold it with a finger.

11. From the hose-connection side, put the spring over the white post. Then pickup the white plastic donut (with ears) holding it by the side with your pliers. Pliers should not touch the ears. Push it onto the post and it will snap into place. Your valve is now working!

12. To test it, make a seal with your lips and blow into the fitting that screws into the RV and blow hard. Nothing, right? Then push the white post in and blow again. Blows right through.

13. Put the valve back into the panel and get the white plastic adapter screw started. Make certain not to get it cross-threaded. It should go on smoothly. One it is well started, get the two flange screws started. Then tighten up the adapter by hand, tighten the flange screws, and then give the adapter about 1/4 turn with pliers to snug it up.

p.s. If you do not want to bother doing the fix you can but a new city water inlet for $7.00+-

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Jim

for an emergency fix just put a garden hose connector on it and shut the valve..jim
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #8

Thanks Bill and Jim,
I really appreciate the advice and instructions.
Don
Old 11-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Ok Time for a laugh here. With the temps going down to 20 something tonite here in central New Jersey I got my 2 gallons of pink stuff and went at it. I used the compressor to blow out the lines, then switched the proper valves and started feeding in the juice. I did all the inside faucets then went out to the outside shower and then noticed the fresh water inlet with the one way valve. I turned off the pump, let the pressure off with the shower and did the infamous "push too hard on the valve" thing and got a face full of pink stuff. Naturally it wouldn't seat again. So what, Camping World is only 15 minutes away. I took the valve body out then remembered this thread. Ah Ha! I can do this. So.....inside I came with tiny pliers and a few dental picks and in the bright light of my desk Halogen I attacked the valve. The white flange came off just like Bill said, then went flying to the ceiling, ricoched off a shelf and went in back of my computer in wire jungle!!! As luck would have it, I found it right away and job completed! Nothing goes right anymore!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The white flange came off just like Bill said, then went flying to the ceiling, ricoched off a shelf and went in back of my computer in wire jungle!!! As luck would have it, I found it right away and job completed! Nothing goes right anymore! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're normal.

Welcome to the club. Many of us are long time members.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote