Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Class A House Batteries

We will need to replace our 4 house batteries in our Berkshire this Spring.

Suggestions on brands / suppliers to purchase?
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #2

I replaced mine with 4 Lifeline AGM batteries in September of 16. Now my battery compartment stays nice and clean. I purchased mine through:

Impact Battery
600 Quail Run Rd Irvine, KY

1-866-668-3163

GPL-4CT Lifeline 6V 220 Ah Marine Battery
$319.95 each

Free shipping and when I checked the manufactured date they were dated August 2016 so they were nice and fresh.
All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brands are mostly superfluous, since most all of them are made by the same big three battery manufacturers anyway. The operative questions are the amp-hour rating and whether you choose flooded cell or AGM. AGM is pricey but pretty much zero maintenance, while flooded cells want regular TLC and will die young if they don't get it.

Among the flooded cell types, you can get a true deep cycle or a "marine/RV" battery. The price difference is substantial, but the deep cycle will outlast the marine/RV by at least 2x and often 3x or more.

Trojan is the gold standard for flooded cell deep cycles, and also a top brand of AGM. Lifeline is the other top AGM brand for RV use. But you can get darn good private labels brands most anywhere. Just compare the specs and the price within a given type.

I've written an article on Choosing An RV Battery that might help. See it at Choosing a battery
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

why do you say that you "will need" to replace your batteries? is something planning to go wrong with them?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Earl, 1. Check your warrenty on the batteries, 2. If you need to purchase the best price on 6volt we found was at Costco. Take several pictures on how they are connected and label them before you remove them.
You shouldn't need to replace them this soon, ours where 6 years old when replaced.

Skip
Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Is there a reason you're replacing your 4 year old batteries already? Our 2012 still have the originals from the factory (NAPA's) and are still going strong.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
X3 on Lifeline AGM'S. Sure they cost more, but well
worth it if only for zero maintenance, and no corrosion
in the battery compartment. They have many other
advantages.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

I forget the brand, but I replaced some 10 year old batteries (chassis and aux.) a couple of seasons ago. As they had lasted that long without issue, I check into where I would need to go to match them. Turned out they are handled by Tractor Supply - an outfit I've learned I can trust as a rule. Further, I found they were some of the more inexpensive available.

For what it costs to maintain conventional batteries, there's no chance I would spend the money for AGM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got my lifeline AgM batteries from bd batteries online about 9 years ago. Still going strong.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am replacing mine as they don't seem to hold a charge too long. They are topped off with water...

I am not sure I will spend the extra $$ for AGM as we will probably trade the coach next year.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
replaced my 4, 6 volts this past november with two big 12v full river AGMs

clean, neat and tidy. costly yes, but worth the cost. no more water checks or nasty stuff in the battery bay
i squeaked nearly 9 years out of the old flooded batteries.

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/main
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new batteries.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	153512   Click image for larger version

Name:	new battereies 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	153513  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a Costco in your area, most have 6volt deep cycle batteries for about $85 each.
Most people don't boondock enough to justify the $1300 set of batteries. Or have the high volume demand for the high end batteries. As a sale item in a year you can say relatively new.

LEN
Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
why do you say that you "will need" to replace your batteries? is something planning to go wrong with them?

last month it seemed my voltage was not lasting nearly as long as I was accustomed to during the first 2 1/2 years of full time and traveling... but I remember to try EQUALIZING , with the Magnum ME-RC remote: after 4 hours, the batteries were finished.

the next outing the batteries responded as expected and lasted well into the early hours of the morning before the AGS kicked in. Back to normal.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've got 4 6V AGM batteries in my coach. This is our first motorhome so I didn't realize how much maintenance was required on a flooded wet cell battery. Ours are 9 years old and don't hold a charge real well now, but there is no way I'm not buying AGM batteries to replace them.

Tags
batteries, class a, house batteries